G37 Sedan

G's at the dealer...Good news & the mystery continues....

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 12:24 AM
10Gee37exeS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
G's at the dealer...Good news & the mystery continues....

Hey Guys...I brought my car to the dealer yesterday...I have ~38K miles on her, so she's still under the Basic Warranty..I listed the issues as 1) Burning rubber smell coming from the car when it's wet outside, 2) Missing chrome strip on the cup holder lid, 3) Brakes grinding/pulsing, 4) Cowl popping noise, 5) Tighten up parking brake. And here's the outcome 1) can't duplicate the burning smell. I can't blame them, ti's been pretty dry around here lately. Next time we get rain and I get the burning smell, I'm gonna drive it straight to the dealer, 2) They replaced the cup holder under warranty (awesome!), 3) Rear brakes were the issue, but it seems the previous owner replaced with non-OE pads, so I'm screwed. But I'm wondering why were they changed with <35K miles on the car? Hmmmmm? 4) They fixed the cowl popping noise by disassembling the cowl area and greasing with silicon grease. Seems like a temp fix, but still done under warranty. 5) They were tested as good. Our parking brakes (foot-type) are just that weak....So I'll stop calling them the $tealer b/c they did do the most with no fuss....Unfortunately, they couldn't figure out the burning rubber smell. That saga continues....
Old 12-28-2013, 09:02 AM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I must be lucky, as I have had no problems at all with my 2011 G sedan. I have been to the dealer only once and that was for the first oil change, which was free. Oh, yes, he also replaced my driver side mirror cover which some idiot who almost hit me, knocked off. I was charged for that. I have read in this forum many complaints about the auto trans. I really don't know what all the complaints are about, as mine shifts just fine, with no hesitation at all. When I step on the gas, it takes off like a bat out of hell, with what is to me a pleasing growl. I love that sound. I love my G.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:09 AM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
glad you got some of the issues fixed. I need to get mine in as well to fix the clock (light flickers) and the chrome on the console is peeling.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:11 AM
NJ Torque
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 10Gee37exeS
Hey Guys...I brought my car to the dealer yesterday...I have ~38K miles on her, so she's still under the Basic Warranty..I listed the issues as 1) Burning rubber smell coming from the car when it's wet outside, 2) Missing chrome strip on the cup holder lid, 3) Brakes grinding/pulsing, 4) Cowl popping noise, 5) Tighten up parking brake. And here's the outcome 1) can't duplicate the burning smell. I can't blame them, ti's been pretty dry around here lately. Next time we get rain and I get the burning smell, I'm gonna drive it straight to the dealer, 2) They replaced the cup holder under warranty (awesome!), 3) Rear brakes were the issue, but it seems the previous owner replaced with non-OE pads, so I'm screwed. But I'm wondering why were they changed with <35K miles on the car? Hmmmmm? 4) They fixed the cowl popping noise by disassembling the cowl area and greasing with silicon grease. Seems like a temp fix, but still done under warranty. 5) They were tested as good. Our parking brakes (foot-type) are just that weak....So I'll stop calling them the $tealer b/c they did do the most with no fuss....Unfortunately, they couldn't figure out the burning rubber smell. That saga continues....

Rear brakes on a G, I see about ~15K... so yours were probably done twice over.

Did you cup holder have the chrome strip and it came off, or never even came with it? IIRC, the MY11 didnt have it...
Old 12-28-2013, 12:00 PM
10Gee37exeS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ Torque
Rear brakes on a G, I see about ~15K... so yours were probably done twice over.

Did you cup holder have the chrome strip and it came off, or never even came with it? IIRC, the MY11 didnt have it...
Seriously about the rears on the G? I've grown up and experienced the "2:1" change...rears > once for every fronts > twice. Is the reverse normal for the G?

I bought my '10 G used...So when I got it it wasn't there. But looks like it was never there....Do you have the Sport package? Just trying to figure out if that's the lowest common denominator in that equation...

Edit: Oh never mind..just read the description at the bottom of your post...I'm thinking the Sport package didn't have the chrome strip. Does your wife with the regular Gx have it?
Old 12-28-2013, 12:38 PM
NJ Torque
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 10Gee37exeS
Seriously about the rears on the G? I've grown up and experienced the "2:1" change...rears > once for every fronts > twice. Is the reverse normal for the G?

I bought my '10 G used...So when I got it it wasn't there. But looks like it was never there....Do you have the Sport package? Just trying to figure out if that's the lowest common denominator in that equation...

Edit: Oh never mind..just read the description at the bottom of your post...I'm thinking the Sport package didn't have the chrome strip. Does your wife with the regular Gx have it?
By MY I mean Model Year.

It didnt matter sport/journey or whatever package in 2011 it wasnt available with the chrome strip.

Since mine is a MY13 and hers is a MY12 we both have it.

RE: the brakes, yes the rears seem to wear much quicker... almost a 1:2 ratio.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:07 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I'm glad your dealership is treating you like they should. My dealership performs warranty services without complaint as well and with a nice loaner for each occasion. I've had my transmission and one cat replaced recently.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:33 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
replaced my rear brakes at 25k miles.