G37 Sedan

Help me decide - Last year of production?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Stanislav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me decide - Last year of production?

I've been a long time Infiniti fan (started with 2003 G35 sedan, 2007 G35 coupe and 2008 G37 coupe <-- sold 2 years ago). Currently I'm driving E92 BMW.

First time dad (7 months old daughter) and I feel like sooner or later I'll need to get a sedan. I want something that's reliable, decent looking and can move. I thought about the following (BMW 328, Acura TL, New IS 350, Q50, G37, S4).

I had BMW 328 as a loaner a few times. Decent car but steering feel is not the same as what I'm used to. Plus it gets pricey pretty quickly (for a 4 banger) and BMW reliability issues (although I haven't heard too many bad things about the new engine).

Acura TL - seems roomier and nice. A few of my friends have one. Haven't driven it yet, but I think I can live with the front wheel drive, but I'm not sure if I can get used to the looks (especially the back).

S4 - again a friend has one, looks beautiful (best looking from the list). VERY fast but not sure about reliability. And its pricey.

Q50 - didn't drive one yet, styling is ok. Too new to see if they are an problems (not buying 1st year production).

IS350 - also too new but Lexus has great realiability. Styling is ok - not great. Did really well in the car mags tests.

G37 - decent style, reliable. negative - interior (even though it looks nicer than my bimmer, it feels cheaper - ie leather seats wearing out prematurely). I can find a great deal on a new one.

So here is my question - when is the last year G37 will be produced? After my search, it looks like through 2015?

I can still drive my 2 door for a while. If I had to pick something this moment, my choice would probably be G37 (even though it is not perfect by a long shot, its does everything well and a great value). I feel like being cheap and saving money, but I love cars as well. After wife and a kid, nobody to impress

If I was to splurge a little - probably an S4 or even a M37 Infiniti.

To rate them:

1. G37
2. IS350
3. Q50
4. TL
5. M37
6. S4
7. BMW 328

Any thoughts?
Old 12-13-2013, 09:33 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Of that list the S4 is a couple notches above the rest, that would be my choice if they were all in my comfort zone payment-wise.
After that I'd probably go w/ the G, can't beat the performance value and still looks just fine IMO. IS350 would be a close 3rd since it will be quite a bit more than the G and still getting used to some of the design elements. IMO the Q50 is a misstep for Infiniti.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:59 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
If I could have any car on that list I would go with the S4. I test drove one a while back and feel in love with it. My brother has an 01 TT with almost 200k miles on it and hasn't had any major issues. I asked him about reliability and he said that it all comes down to how well you take car of your car. Even the most reliable car can have a lot of major issues if you don't take good care of it. He has babied his car from day one.

If you have the S4 on the list why don't you have the BMW 335i on there instead of the 328i?
Old 12-13-2013, 09:59 PM
SlimTV
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
1) S4
2) G37
3) IS350
4) Acura TL
5) Honda Accord Hybrid
Old 12-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Yazovets

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
You should really be considering the 335i and C350 in this lineup.

Honestly from the moment BMW replaced their naturally-aspirated inline 6 engines with 4-bangers I was instantly turned off.

The S4 is great but honestly the value per dollar isn't very high. And insurance will hit you extra bad with that one - it is often considered to be a special car like the M3 or C63.

The TL is based on old technology. That car is overweight and uses an ancient V6 with a 5-speed transmission. Typical Honda...limited innovation there.

The IS 350 is a fun little car. I had a 2011 one time. The problem with that car is the absolutely non-existent rear seat space. That car is the smallest of all your list.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:02 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Get The G and spend the money you saved on coilovers. Fast, agile and reliable.

I swear after I put the KW's on my car it made a world of difference... and I had the sport suspension.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:02 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
I looked very hard at a S4 and got the G b/c it was 90% of the car at 75% of the price. Everybody's situation is different and I wanted "value" in my purchase and the G I picked up provided oodles of value. Plus the G was a little bigger in the rear seat and I needed that with my 3 kids. Having said that, the S4 is beautiful. The supercharged 6 is a monster and I love the German feel in cars. Don't sweat the reliability thing with Audi. I've got an 09 Q7 that has been perfect.

If $ were no object, I probably would have gotten the S4. If I didn't have 3 small kids, I would have gotten the S5!
Old 12-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
The new Merc CLA isn't in consideration? Surprised our shiny new Moderator didn't suggest that.

In context of you including the S4 and the IS350, be aware that INFINITI is no longer offering the Sport Package on the G37, and that bit of news right there should knock the old G way down towards the bottom of your list.

IMO, if you can swing it, get the S4.

If you can stomach domestics, there's also the new Chevy SS... Impressive performance, but boring styling and crazy bad mileage. The Ford Taurus SHO has some odd appeal, although more trunk than car. And the Dodge Charger R/T isn't bad either, notwithstanding the horribly boring interior.

Don't suppose you considered the VW CC? Fine car.

Based on your list, having a proper 6MT isn't a concern... But if it is, that makes the list much smaller, and the non-Sport G37 doesn't make the cut any longer.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-14-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:17 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Buy a nice used CPO car like a sport package G or get a 2011 E90 335i Sedan CPO.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Stanislav

Originally Posted by My'09G37X
If I could have any car on that list I would go with the S4. I test drove one a while back and feel in love with it. My brother has an 01 TT with almost 200k miles on it and hasn't had any major issues. I asked him about reliability and he said that it all comes down to how well you take car of your car. Even the most reliable car can have a lot of major issues if you don't take good care of it. He has babied his car from day one.

If you have the S4 on the list why don't you have the BMW 335i on there instead of the 328i?
I'm not including 335 because its the same price as an S4, and I feel that the S4 would be a better choice.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Stanislav

Originally Posted by Yazovets
You should really be considering the 335i and C350 in this lineup.

Honestly from the moment BMW replaced their naturally-aspirated inline 6 engines with 4-bangers I was instantly turned off.

The S4 is great but honestly the value per dollar isn't very high. And insurance will hit you extra bad with that one - it is often considered to be a special car like the M3 or C63.

The TL is based on old technology. That car is overweight and uses an ancient V6 with a 5-speed transmission. Typical Honda...limited innovation there.

The IS 350 is a fun little car. I had a 2011 one time. The problem with that car is the absolutely non-existent rear seat space. That car is the smallest of all your list.
I agree, the previous generation IS350 almost has no room in the back. The new one is about the same size as G37.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Stanislav

Originally Posted by KEG97
I looked very hard at a S4 and got the G b/c it was 90% of the car at 75% of the price. Everybody's situation is different and I wanted "value" in my purchase and the G I picked up provided oodles of value. Plus the G was a little bigger in the rear seat and I needed that with my 3 kids. Having said that, the S4 is beautiful. The supercharged 6 is a monster and I love the German feel in cars. Don't sweat the reliability thing with Audi. I've got an 09 Q7 that has been perfect.

If $ were no object, I probably would have gotten the S4. If I didn't have 3 small kids, I would have gotten the S5!
I can afford either one, but the value of the G37 is hard to resist, especially with the huge discounts you can get one right now. I helped my father in law to buy a new G37 w/premium for $33.5K out the door (w/CA tax). Unbelievable deal, considering that V6 accords and camrys go for the same amount.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:19 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 332 Likes on 253 Posts
^so you have to choose which your top priority is, value or prestige (Audi pun notwithstanding), plain and simple.

Don't think anyone would argue that the S4 is the superior car, just like not many can argue the value the G sedan offers.

My favorite sedan has been the S4/RS4 for years, and although I could be driving one, overall I knew that I was going to be far more satisfied with the value of the G than the performance/status of the Audi. I am VERY happy with my G sedan, in both how it performs and the deal I got, but I also don't make the mistake of comparing to a top spec Audi like the S4.

You might make the decision a little easier if you can still find a sport/6MT model of the G, it surprisingly makes a big difference in driving experience, but it's pretty easy to pick which car (G vs. S4) once you be true to yourself and define what means the most to you

EDIT: to answer OP, I believe MY2015 is the last of the G sedan, though the RWD Sport & 6MT models were dropped in MY2013
Old 12-14-2013, 03:54 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Stanislav
I can afford either one, but the value of the G37 is hard to resist, especially with the huge discounts you can get one right now. I helped my father in law to buy a new G37 w/premium for $33.5K out the door (w/CA tax). Unbelievable deal, considering that V6 accords and camrys go for the same amount.
I was in the same spot and didn't feel like the S4 warranted the extra coin....especially with my wife likely to be yapping in my ear to sell one of my other cars. Otherwise, I probably could have rationalized the extra $$
Old 12-14-2013, 04:02 PM
ashva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was told by several dealers (not that I'd believe them) and Infiniti Consumer Affairs that 2013 would be the last MY of the G37, the 2013 G37 would continue to be sold into 2014, and production would end altogether in 2014 (they could not say when specifically though). I know this contradicts the August press release ... you may just want to call them to see if anything has changed.

I'd take the G over any other car in that list without question, including the S4. Every time I think about getting an S4 (or any audi pretty much), I see how little HP/torque you get for the $ and that quickly puts an end to that idea. I do love the styling of them though ... but not going to pay for that alone.

I think the G is a excellent car and an incredible value ... I've had 3 of them and the only other car I've owned/liked better was the C63 (until i remember how much it cost to own it between tires/maintenance).

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Help me decide - Last year of production?