G37 Sedan

2009 Door Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 01:25 PM
Starshower112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2009 Door Problems

I noticed this is an old thread, but I am having the same issue with my door! I have a 2009 G37. My door was frozen the other morning and when I pulled it open, it wouldn't close. It was like the latch was stuck in lock. My outside handle has no tension now. I am able to open the door from the inside, but not the outside. At one point, I couldn't get the inside handle to open the door either and had to crawl out of the window. Ugh... I kept hitting lock and unlock and managed to get the inside handle working again, but still no outside handle. Can you tell me what exactly I'm going to have to replace? Or is it something disconnected inside the door panel that I can reconnect? I watched a video on taking the door panel off to replace the actuator, so even if I have to reconnect something this isn't going to be fun! Thanks!
Old 01-04-2017, 08:24 PM
chris_s

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
this happened to me once a couple of years ago. I was on a 2 hour drive, and by the time I arrived at my destination it was opening so I didn't think about it.

Today we're in the middle of a huge cold snap, and I had just washed my car a day prior. Door opened in the garage in the morning, then when I needed to run errands at work it wouldn't open. everything seemed to be working ok mechanically, not loose or tight handle, locking thing made the right noise. It definitely wasn't frozen shut from water around the door. Acted EXACTLY like a child lock was activated on the door

drove around a bit during the day, entering/exiting through the passenger side

when I got home, parked it in the garage and put a space heater right at the driver's door, shooting hot air at the outside of the door skin.
Checked it an hour later, the door skin was cool to touch, not cold, not warm. door opened like nothing had happened!

SO if anyone is having trouble opening their door, apply heat to the middle of the outside of the door!
The following users liked this post:
mercury_blues (02-24-2023)
Old 01-04-2017, 11:53 PM
Starshower112

Originally Posted by chris_s
this happened to me once a couple of years ago. I was on a 2 hour drive, and by the time I arrived at my destination it was opening so I didn't think about it.

Today we're in the middle of a huge cold snap, and I had just washed my car a day prior. Door opened in the garage in the morning, then when I needed to run errands at work it wouldn't open. everything seemed to be working ok mechanically, not loose or tight handle, locking thing made the right noise. It definitely wasn't frozen shut from water around the door. Acted EXACTLY like a child lock was activated on the door

drove around a bit during the day, entering/exiting through the passenger side

when I got home, parked it in the garage and put a space heater right at the driver's door, shooting hot air at the outside of the door skin.
Checked it an hour later, the door skin was cool to touch, not cold, not warm. door opened like nothing had happened!

SO if anyone is having trouble opening their door, apply heat to the middle of the outside of the door!

My door handle was limp so it was already broken from pulling on it while frozen, no heat was going to fix this. I ended up taking it to my collision guy and only cost $115 to fix. A lot less than what I saw others paid, and worth it not having to fix it myself! Thanks for your response!
Old 01-08-2017, 01:00 PM
bryan_p

Originally Posted by SlimTV
More than likely you will need to replace your door lock actuator. This is a known problem with some Gen 1 and Gen 2 (07-09) G sedans. ... In my situation, I discovered the cable from the outside door handle going to the actuator seems to get frozen in its sleeve over time from water/moisture and lack of lubricant, also the lever on the actuator that this cable pulls cant fully contract because of the dead cable blocking that last 1/4" inch of travel needed to open the door. ... Its a lot of work, and its too cold out right now, especially when you factor in the window, window motor, and regulator need to come out, then have to be re-aligned. My next and most likely option is to buy a new actuator from the dealer for a little under $300 and have them install it in like 1 to 2 hours while I get a loaner. Please update with any info you receive on your door issue, and whether or not youre going to fix it.
I just posted to a different thread "door wouldn't shut...now it won't open". I found this thread and your observations coincide with mine. I have a 2010 G37S Sedan. It looks like the problem persists in gen 3 as well. I was hoping to avoid the chore of opening up the door panel but it seems inevitable. Like you say - it's cold here at this moment - so I'll just have to live with it for now.

Thanks,
Bryan.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:51 PM
bollix28

Thumbs up 09 G37X door actuator

If your having door actuator issues save time and money and contact USACTUATORS.COM in CA they have what you need at a fraction of the price. My drivers side door will not open from the outside and dealership tried to sell me an entire actuator for $460 minus labor.. I called Austin at USACTUATORS and he sold me a replacement cable for $25 with shipping. Austin will sell you what you need and not anything extra.. A common issue with all Infinities. Check them out usactuators.com
Old 02-01-2019, 12:23 AM
photopro
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
mine froze in Jan 1019 brrrrrrr!!

Originally Posted by bollix28
If your having door actuator issues save time and money and contact USACTUATORS.COM in CA they have what you need at a fraction of the price. My drivers side door will not open from the outside and dealership tried to sell me an entire actuator for $460 minus labor.. I called Austin at USACTUATORS and he sold me a replacement cable for $25 with shipping. Austin will sell you what you need and not anything extra.. A common issue with all Infinities. Check them out usactuators.com
cold here in Buffalo with the polar vortex, and my driver door is doing the same thing. I didnt think to try the door key but in the am hopefully this avoids me from climbing across the car seat. Its happened 3 times, this last time it was outside at the dealer for a brake switch adjustment and it froze again. Going to take it to a body shop for a permanent fix. Should be a recall as its a known problem (like the brake switch) and a safety hazard. pita
Old 02-02-2019, 09:48 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
There are two sources of the issue.

1. Key doesn’t turn in lock. If this is the issue, the pins in the tumbler are frozen. Buy a can of lock defroster, takes 10sec and you are back on the road.

2. Key turns, you can year lock actuator function but interior and exterior door handles don’t do squat. This is caused by condensation in the door actuator body. You will need to thaw out the door to get it functioning. Running my car with the heat cranked for and hour did the trick. Once you are thawed out, there is a small hole near the door striker, hose the inside of the actuator body with white lithium grease.

I’ve had both issues this winter, both are fixed.
The following users liked this post:
mercury_blues (02-24-2023)