G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2024, 01:21 PM
BIL2
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are young and have money it can be fun. That fun wears off with repair bills to maintain performance and trafcic tickets. At one time I was routinely pushing 25 psi boost. Turbos cost money and you are always wanting to show off. You're always tinkering to get just a little more out of it...then replacing parts.
Old 09-20-2024, 02:37 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by backman_66
Here's a question for you all: How many of you have ever had a vehicle with really high horsepower (500+) and what is your experience with it? How is it to feel like your car is fast enough to blow the doors off just about anything you see, even the typical Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, "fast trucks", etc. Do you get a magical feeling of being "king of the road, don't mess with me?" if that makes sense.

Especially when considering the driving dynamics may be worse when not just going in a straight line, such as handling, extra weight, possibly being an automatic vs MT, etc.

I've mentioned in another post I've been thinking of a replacement vehicle. In fact it's been on my mind for quite a while now. I'm always tossing around different ideas in my head to see what's going to eventually stick. The current one is to sell the G for a 2020 BMW X3M that's 473-503hp (underrated from factory), AWD, and handles close to a sedan. With a simple tune and downpipe it can easily achieve 600AWHP+.

The thing is, I don't really even take my G on very many twisties anymore nowadays, it's not like I'm going to be bothered to drive an SAV that handles 5-10% worse or whatever. And it wouldn't be bad to have some better ground clearance and extra storage space. I just don't know if I can make the transition. Most of the comments from people who have moved from coupe/sedans (even fast ones like F80's) to the X3M don't regret it because it's just so fast and fun to drive.

I realize this is all opinion-based but it's nice to stir up conversation. I also understand the fact there will always be a faster car out there, but it sure would be nice to spank 99% of everything on the road if they want to line up lol
If you want to be king of the road just buy a Model S Plaid. You can get one for around 50k and you won't have to spend any money on modifications. The 3 previous cars I owned were much faster than my G37 which I enjoyed a ton however I would say most people like the idea of having the power but don't use it or enjoy it in most of their use cases.

Whatever the power is you will get used to it quite quickly. I don't know your situation at home, what cars you own, how big your family is but in general I think performance SUVs are dumb. I have a balanced style of spirited driving (straight line or curvy roads) but an AWD SUV does not satisfy my performance or spirited driving needs. At the end of the day, I will take my 6spd G37 over any newer car that is much faster with AWD or an automatic transmission. But that's just me.

Originally Posted by rotarymike
In my experience anything above about 400hp is too twitchy for daily driving. Traction nannies on newer cars might make that opinion moot.

Even with 315 to the wheels my sedan wants to step sideways anytime I don’t tiptoe around a corner. I won’t let my wife drive it for that and the tramlining.

otoh - we recently test drove an Audi Q5 phev and the combined hp is 362 and it scoots. Very fun. Too expensive for what it is but 🤷🏻
Newer cars do a much better job putting the power down as the tire compounds and suspension designs have greatly improved over time. Either way, about 500whp is probably the upper end of street tire traction.
The following 2 users liked this post by RobC7:
abrecos (09-20-2024), socketz67 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-20-2024, 02:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,717 Likes on 3,523 Posts
Originally Posted by backman_66
Here's a question for you all: How many of you have ever had a vehicle with really high horsepower (500+) and what is your experience with it? How is it to feel like your car is fast enough to blow the doors off just about anything you see, even the typical Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, "fast trucks", etc. Do you get a magical feeling of being "king of the road, don't mess with me?" if that makes sense.
It does make sense, and I'm sure everyone here can grok. But the idea is worth rejecting, backman, if not just for safety then for peace of mind.

I'm no prince when it comes to this, only getting better at it with old age. And I recognize good advice is always easier to give than take. But it's worth saying anyway.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-20-2024 at 02:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (Today)
Old 09-20-2024, 02:54 PM
Mojo_Dp
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RobC7
If you want to be king of the road just buy a Model S Plaid. You can get one for around 50k and you won't have to spend any money on modifications. The 3 previous cars I owned were much faster than my G37 which I enjoyed a ton however I would say most people like the idea of having the power but don't use it or enjoy it in most of their use cases.

Whatever the power is you will get used to it quite quickly. I don't know your situation at home, what cars you own, how big your family is but in general I think performance SUVs are dumb. I have a balanced style of spirited driving (straight line or curvy roads) but an AWD SUV does not satisfy my performance or spirited driving needs. At the end of the day, I will take my 6spd G37 over any newer car that is much faster with AWD or an automatic transmission. But that's just me.

Newer cars do a much better job putting the power down as the tire compounds and suspension designs have greatly improved over time. Either way, about 500whp is probably the upper end of street tire traction.
where tf are you finding plaids for 50k cheapest one in Canada that’s already beat is 90k
Old 09-20-2024, 03:01 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 196 Posts
Here is one local to me, auction wholesale prices are in the 40s:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

1 owner, 31k miles, clean history for 53k. Not bad for a car that stickered for about 150k.
Old 09-23-2024, 11:54 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 110 Posts

Not interested in electric whatsoever.

Currently my family is just the wife and I, with the possibility of 1-2 kids but we are already in our thirties so not going to have a bigger family than that. The reason we are thinking of an SUV/SAV is because there are times when we will have people in the backseat for a few hours at a time, and also I'm going to need a bit of ground clearance for some of the roads we'll be going on. So I'm trying to think of the best situation that's going to fit that bill and that's why the X3M seems to be my best fit. It's one of the best handling SAV's on the market and it's very fast, so I will enjoy it more than any other option out there.

As far as which car it will replace, I have my 6MT G37 and wife has a Chevy Cruze. There are arguments to keep either of those. People that own the X3M say that it's basically an M3 but lifted, and it still handles great, so I'm thinking of just making it my "fun car" coupled with the utility of an SAV. But never having owned a sporty SAV before, I was looking for opinions. It would be nice for my wife to keep her Cruze because, just to be honest, she's not the best driver and the Cruze is very economical and fits her well, so I'd almost rather keep it for her.

I'm not a big street racer and I don't hang with any of those types of groups, but I guess sometimes I just get tired of the random american muscle car or truck that rolls up on my G and I can barely keep up most of the time.

Last edited by backman_66; 09-23-2024 at 12:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 12:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,717 Likes on 3,523 Posts
It's humbling when you experience a car that's faster than yours, particularly when you value your G more than the other one (Mustang LOL).

Honestly, the only thing you can do is give it time. Eventually you'll be digging your G again.

And then there are cars that are clearly better in every possible way. I'm looking at you, Jaguar F-Type. Those moment stay with you forever.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-23-2024 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2024, 04:01 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts
Here is one local to me, auction wholesale prices are in the 40s:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

1 owner, 31k miles, clean history for 53k. Not bad for a car that stickered for about 150k.
Any thoughts on why this thing took such a massive deprecation hit? That one is sold, but here's another for slightly more: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight

Similar to @backman_66 , I have little interest in EVs and exploiting ohms law to dump as much current at possible into a traction motor; I do make 2x the amount of solar energy as I use, so it may make sense to buy one for my wife one day.

I agree that Tesla has commoditized speed, but there is still "performance" and having the ability to tweak hundreds of variables to create your own unique statement. If you look at it from the ROI of speed only, then you should have bought a motorcycle years ago.

Even when I was younger and owned a big block Chevelle SS that could have mauled 90% of the cars at the time (in a straight line only), I always liked looking ready to race, but cared very little about the race itself. Guess some of us are just wired that way.
Old 09-23-2024, 04:15 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
It's humbling when you experience a car that's faster than yours, particularly when you value your G more than the other one (Mustang LOL).

Honestly, the only thing you can do is give it time. Eventually you'll be digging your G again.

And then there are cars that are clearly better in every possible way. I'm looking at you, Jaguar F-Type. Those moment stay with you forever.
You can pick those cars up used for a song. I want to say that they are reasonably reliable as well. Visually, that muscular look is intoxicating: Jaguar F-Type Review - Long-Term Verdict - Motor Trend

The 2015 Mercedes W204 C63 AMG is on my bucket list.

Listen to this car. Mercedes and that Bavarian V-8 at their peak!