G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2024, 02:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts

That's a fantastic list of well-thought out modifications, topped off with a Tune by Eugene. Very nice. Weird that you included window tint, but if it makes you happy. Or I'm just jealous, since NY only allows 70% tint, which is kind of pointless.

I know first hand that the final drive mod would be transformational. And I suspect the same for a LW flywheel. But as things sit right now, you've got a great NA car there.

I would think with all that emotional investment in modding your 6MT Sedan, it would be really hard to let it go. Obviously I'm projecting a bit, LOL.
Old 08-14-2024, 02:30 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Window tint was included because it was just a copy/paste from a mod list document that I have
Old 08-14-2024, 11:05 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by backman_66
Nice, I feel like there's been other discussions here about Mazda SUVs and crossovers so it seems like a pretty nice choice for a family car. The only time I've owned a Mazda was when I bought an 04 Mazda 6 brand new. Didn't really care for it too much looking back on it now, but it wasn't terrible either. Have they upped their game since 20 years ago?
I was one that went the way of the CX-5. Bought a used 21' non turbo. I definitely miss the power some but it's a fantastic vehicle to drive, even has ventilated seats. My first child is due in October, but I honestly really enjoy spending time in the vehicle. Interior is much better than the G in almost every aspect.

Originally Posted by Rochester

That's a fantastic list of well-thought out modifications, topped off with a Tune by Eugene. Very nice. Weird that you included window tint, but if it makes you happy. Or I'm just jealous, since NY only allows 70% tint, which is kind of pointless.
Tint was one of the first things I did to my Mazda, 20% rear windows and 30% on the front windows. Only thing not tinted is the windshield. It is illegal to have any tint at all on the windshield or drivers and passengers window here, I just had to initial a small blurb on their invoice saying I'm aware of local tint laws and that they aren't liable for a ticket. I've had tinted front windows for ~12 years and have never once been stopped or questioned about it. Depends on what your police are like there I guess, I absolutely love having it.
Old 08-15-2024, 07:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

In NY, checking for light throughput is part of the annual inspection. Been that way since 2017.

Old 08-15-2024, 08:53 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Bit sad, I have to sell my G.

My friend has allowed me to keep it outside his shop and let me slowly restore it. The plan is to spend some money into it to bring it back to greatness and sell it.
Getting a divorce and lost my garage, had to sell the engine stand and get into a hybrid.

On a more positive note, insurance dropped about $40 and gas.....
I was spending $320 on 93 a month, currently averaging $130 which I find mind boggling

My car's name is Samantha and I cannot let a 4WAS Monaco red anniversary sedan die like that.
Old 08-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by BULL
Bit sad, I have to sell my G.

My friend has allowed me to keep it outside his shop and let me slowly restore it. The plan is to spend some money into it to bring it back to greatness and sell it.
Getting a divorce and lost my garage, had to sell the engine stand and get into a hybrid.

On a more positive note, insurance dropped about $40 and gas.....
I was spending $320 on 93 a month, currently averaging $130 which I find mind boggling

My car's name is Samantha and I cannot let a 4WAS Monaco red anniversary sedan die like that.
That's a whole lot of sad, BULL. An Anniversary Edition with 4WAS is a uniquely special car. I hope you can find a way to keep it.
Old 08-15-2024, 10:20 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
That's a whole lot of sad, BULL. An Anniversary Edition with 4WAS is a uniquely special car. I hope you can find a way to keep it.
It's a really interesting perspective. The sadness and boatloads of losses has ran it's course and I like to believe I'm on the rising side of it.
It has motivated me to let go of these attachments with the hope one day I can see myself in something better one day.
The G can be used as an investment piece, I came across the "never daily drive your project car" decades ago and pushed hard to fight the reality of it only to realize the concept is still correct to this day.
I spent a lot of my time doing things on that car that deteriorated, might have taken 2-3 years and many many miles but looking at the amount of work I have to now do I'm re-thinking things. 5 years of $3800 a year was an expense I adjusted myself to but one that driving another car feels unnecessary.
Seeing some of the influences around me driving beaters and occasionally pulling out their projects is a really nice feeling I am starting to view the beauty of it.

I plan on continuing with the VHR side of things hoping I can now use my extra time to delve deep into it and see where I can take myself. Therapy and psychiatry has helped me uncover a ton of limitations I myself put on for no apparent reason other than fear.
I have been blessed once again by the car community as well as my knowledge and personality to have helped me in this process.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 06:37 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 273 Likes on 228 Posts
In NY, checking for light throughput is part of the annual inspection. Been that way since 2017.

Interesting that they inspect annually in NY; what is the cost? Are the main checklist items safety related, or are they checking emissions mods, etc.?

Here CA, our tint law allows 70% tint (front side windows, any level of tint on rears), but I went with 35% because it looks the best and doesn't attract much attention from law enforcement because you can still see inside the car.

Personally, I do not like darker tints which prevent a fellow driver from seeing in the car, so I understand why the law is in place.
Old 08-15-2024, 07:11 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 1,068 Posts
Here in NC they require, at a minimum, an annual "safety" inspection before you can renew your tag. That costs $13.60. If you're in a "emissions controlled" county an additional "emissions inspection" is also required. I don't know what that costs.

Just had mine done day as a matter of fact: $13.60 + $10.00 fee for window tint.

Free money for nothing...
Old 08-15-2024, 07:28 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 1,068 Posts
I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to putting my G up for sale. I don't fully understand it but the car just doesn't speak to me as much as it used to. Maybe because it's not a true "sports sedan"

I've been thinking for a long time to move to an E90 M3, which has a very unique presence and the motor is legendary (after replacing the rod bearings and throttle actuators).
First, I will state I am biased as I know I will never willingly part with my G. The car has been the most rewarding and trouble free vehicle I've owned. A few more mods and I'm golden. For a 17-year-old car it still puts a grin on my face every time I hit the road.

That said, I know my E89 (wanted a F83 but those are Uber-Unicorns) is a entirely different beast than the E90/M you're wanting to get but it, too, is a blast to drive. Turbo lag can be a bit tedious but the DCT is sharp. However, after a day or two of driving the BMW I'm reminded of just how much I love the G after the first mile. To put it bluntly. If I had to choose- the BMW will go before the G.

Apples to oranges? Maybe. But sometimes the bird in the hand is more special than the elusive one in the bush.

No easy answer. You know your needs/ wants/ desires. I'm just a old man whose enjoying the waning days. Wishing you well whichever direction you take.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 08-15-2024 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2024, 08:12 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Here in NC they require, at a minimum, an annual "safety" inspection before you can renew your tag. That costs $13.60. If you're in a "emissions controlled" county an additional "emissions inspection" is also required. I don't know what that costs.

Just had mine done day as a matter of fact: $13.60 + $10.00 fee for window tint.

Free money for nothing...
Here in the Golden State, we seem to be focused on emissions and many of the non-emissions no-nos like tint or the lack of a front license plate are somewhat ignored unless you go out of the way to attract attention. So in many ways, we feel less regulated in that respect compared to other states, which seems unusual.
Old 08-15-2024, 08:43 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

I've been thinking for a long time to move to an E90 M3, which has a very unique presence and the motor is legendary (after replacing the rod bearings and throttle actuators). When driving my G, I just don't get that feeling of uniqueness that I want out of a car. It's still just a luxury sedan at it's roots. I've "added lightness" as much as I could to make it more nimble (light wheels, 2 piece rotors, 6lb battery) but the car still doesn't have enough of a raw presence as I'd like. I feel like I had more fun in my fully bolted on, tuned, and geared RSX Type-S just because it had more character.

I'm 38 years old, is this just a mid-life crisis?
38 years old is mid-life? Good help me if that's true. I'm not sure it's even fair to compare the G37 to an E90 M3 as that car has an implied pedigree which was designed from the ground up to meet all your current performance expectations then some. The G is is an incredible value as its good at so many things, but not great at any one thing other than being so hard to let go; it exists as the girl who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks and put herself through college waiting tables. I think its that grit and lack of a pedigree that makes the car so difficult to part with...what breaks my heart is the absolute mess that Nissan/Infiniti has become. That grit used to be built into all their cars, but they were unable to leverage that brand and carve out a loyal chunk of the market, but instead decided to take on the pedigree players without a true understanding what's required to properly maintain a brand.

Last edited by socketz67; 08-15-2024 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2024, 10:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by socketz67
Interesting that they inspect annually in NY; what is the cost? Are the main checklist items safety related, or are they checking emissions mods, etc.?
$21, every year. They check the glass, tires, lights, etc., scan for codes and do a visual inspection with confirmation that there's a cat on the car.
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 10:02 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
First, I will state I am biased as I know I will never willingly part with my G. The car has been the most rewarding and trouble free vehicle I've owned. A few more mods and I'm golden. For a 17-year-old car it still puts a grin on my face every time I hit the road.

That said, I know my E89 (wanted a F83 but those are Uber-Unicorns) is a entirely different beast than the E90/M you're wanting to get but it, too, is a blast to drive. Turbo lag can be a bit tedious but the DCT is sharp. However, after a day or two of driving the BMW I'm reminded of just how much I love the G after the first mile. To put it bluntly. If I had to choose- the BMW will go before the G.

Apples to oranges? Maybe. But sometimes the bird in the hand is more special than the elusive one in the bush.

No easy answer. You know your needs/ wants/ desires. I'm just a old man whose enjoying the waning days. Wishing you well whichever direction you take.
Thanks for your input! Maybe it's just a case of wanting to TRY something else just for the sake of a new experience, because we are all getting older. I do like the G, and I'm sure I'll like it much more if I do those drivetrain upgrades I mentioned (gearing / lightweight flywheel is one of my favorite mods I've ever done to a car in the past).

Optimally I'd love to keep the G forever because it is so reliable and it's been a problem-free experience and then I could just add additional cars to the stable. Unfortunately most of us have to be realistic and can't afford to do that.

I heard two analogies the other day that I've never heard before regarding the phrase "the grass is always greener." The first one says, "because the other side is astro turf" and the second is "because the other side is on top of a septic tank." Kinda got me thinking a bit about contentment, haha, but as car enthusiasts, that can be hard to do because we always want to try new things and experiences.
Old 08-16-2024, 10:15 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67
38 years old is mid-life? Good help me if that's true. I'm not sure it's even fair to compare the G37 to an E90 M3 as that car has an implied pedigree which was designed from the ground up to meet all your current performance expectations then some. The G is is an incredible value as its good at so many things, but not great at any one thing other than being so hard to let go; it exists as the girl who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks and put herself through college waiting tables. I think its that grit and lack of a pedigree that makes the car so difficult to part with...what breaks my heart is the absolute mess that Nissan/Infiniti has become. That grit used to be built into all their cars, but they were unable to leverage that brand and carve out a loyal chunk of the market, but instead decided to take on the pedigree players without a true understanding what's required to properly maintain a brand.
There's a part of me that cringes hard every time I see how the young crowd (maybe older ones too?) have destroyed the image of Infiniti / VQ ownership with those street takeovers, multi-colored body panels, wraps, slammed down with dumb camber, super loud trumpety single exhausts, etc. Although I do understand the exhaust performance benefit and personal taste, I did have a single exit on my supercharged S2k back in the day.

It hurts my pride in ownership a bit when I see these things even though realistically I know it doesn't affect me personally in any way, but I can't help feeling some of those effects. I don't even hang out with any car guys or go to shows or anything like that, I just keep to myself, but because I've been interested in cars for so long, its hard for me to ignore. Perhaps stepping into a less affordable vehicle option will get me away from some of that rabble (E90 M3) although it'll always exist to some degree.

I do agree about Nissan/Infiniti losing it's grit, a good example is the new Nissan Z and how poorly it performs on a track compared to other cars that cost less, such as the BRZ /FT86. It's supposed to be a sports car yet it has such a soft suspension, bad launch / traction control, etc.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread