G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2024, 08:42 PM
BIL2
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ugly

There are several cybertrucks in the area. They are so ugly the owners have put colorful wraps on them with designs and lines to hide those horrible body lines. Not to mention the recalls on this disaster. Anybody remember the Edsil?
The following users liked this post:
FrogmanKouki (08-14-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 12:02 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by BIL2
There are several cybertrucks in the area. They are so ugly the owners have put colorful wraps on them with designs and lines to hide those horrible body lines. Not to mention the recalls on this disaster. Anybody remember the Edsil?
Remember the '58 Edsel? No man, that's before my time.

Ugly as sin, plagued with quality issues. So yeah, the Edsel might be a reasonable comparison. Although cost-adjusted they aren't in the same market, just the same vibe.
Old 08-11-2024, 07:30 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 273 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Remember the '58 Edsel? No man, that's before my time.

Ugly as sin, plagued with quality issues. So yeah, the Edsel might be a reasonable comparison. Although cost-adjusted they aren't in the same market, just the same vibe.
While the styling of the Edsel wasn't as good as a Impala, Belair or Galaxy, it wasn't horrible IMO: https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-edsel-410-engine/

As you alluded to, the brand died because they tried to innovate while also using off the shelf Ford parts, and the car was plagued with issues and the timing was off (economic downturn in the late 50s, people also wanted mid sized cars). By the time (1960?) they axed that horseshoe grill, it was too late.

The Cybertruck looks ridiculous to me and cost over 100K. Because of that, it feels like a statement car. Why would one pick this over say a Rivian or Q8 e-Tron?
Old 08-11-2024, 01:29 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 1,068 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
While the styling of the Edsel wasn't as good as a Impala, Belair or Galaxy, it wasn't horrible
I'd take a Imperial (Chrysler) any day

Originally Posted by socketz67
The Cybertruck looks ridiculous to me and cost over 100K. Because of that, it feels like a statement car. Why would one pick this over say a Rivian or Q8 e-Tron?
For the braggadocio ("Look at Me") need to boost their egos.

Can someone explain to me why every bloody EV has to have a front grill and rear taillights lit up like Luna Park? Get blinded coming and going with these damn things on the roads.
Old 08-12-2024, 09:18 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Can someone explain to me why every bloody EV has to have a front grill and rear taillights lit up like Luna Park? Get blinded coming and going with these damn things on the roads.
Haven't noticed that yet, and we have a fair amount of Rivians and such around here. The Rivian is a nice looking truck, TBH, but with Tesla-level problems according to the few drivers I've talked to.

The cybertruck... sigh. God those are ugly. There's one down here that has an orange wrap. Some biz or another, he couldn't be bothered to make the text large enough to read from a distance. So it looks like one of the stunt-car general lees, after being pancaked going over a jump.
Old 08-12-2024, 04:25 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 1,068 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
Haven't noticed that yet, and we have a fair amount of Rivians and such around here.
Not specifically the Rivian, but all of these EV and hybrid offerings. Maybe it's just me but it seems that manufacturer's are going way overboard with LED's just to "stand out" from the crowd. Not to mention those owners that add additional aftermarket lights.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Anyhow, back to topic...
Old 08-12-2024, 04:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Anyhow, back to topic...
There is no topic. It's a chat thread.

There are a number of cars where way too much design effort was applied to lighting as trim. It's not that I don't like the glowing bits, but it usually looks too much for the car.
Old 08-14-2024, 07:46 AM
FrogmanKouki
Registered Member

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
Wow it's been a long while.. like nearing 2 years since I was active here. We had our son last April and immediately following that I started a subcontract with another engineering firm. So I was on my best behavior while using their computers (no random MyG37 use) and in their offices. Instead I just used the FB and reddit owners forms as it was much easier to use the app on my phone.

Well now I'm back to WFH and things are settling down and I can check in to this place more often. In my time away it was extremely clear that the demographic for the other sites skews much younger. Nothing inherently wrong with that but those owners don't have the same goals that I believe are generally shared here - less racing Chargers and more enjoying the car for what it is.

Anyways mini rant over, glad to be back.

Last edited by FrogmanKouki; 08-14-2024 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-14-2024, 12:07 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to putting my G up for sale. I don't fully understand it but the car just doesn't speak to me as much as it used to. Maybe because it's not a true "sports sedan" and it doesn't feel as special as it should. It's fun to drive, yes, and it would be better if I stuck to my plan and upgraded the clutch, lighter flywheel, and 4.09 FD but I just don't know if that's going to please me and at that point I'd have just wasted more money if I decided to sell it.

I've been thinking for a long time to move to an E90 M3, which has a very unique presence and the motor is legendary (after replacing the rod bearings and throttle actuators). When driving my G, I just don't get that feeling of uniqueness that I want out of a car. It's still just a luxury sedan at it's roots. I've "added lightness" as much as I could to make it more nimble (light wheels, 2 piece rotors, 6lb battery) but the car still doesn't have enough of a raw presence as I'd like. I feel like I had more fun in my fully bolted on, tuned, and geared RSX Type-S just because it had more character.

I'm 38 years old, is this just a mid-life crisis?
Old 08-14-2024, 12:52 PM
FrogmanKouki
Registered Member

Originally Posted by backman_66
I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to putting my G up for sale. I don't fully understand it but the car just doesn't speak to me as much as it used to. Maybe because it's not a true "sports sedan" and it doesn't feel as special as it should. It's fun to drive, yes, and it would be better if I stuck to my plan and upgraded the clutch, lighter flywheel, and 4.09 FD but I just don't know if that's going to please me and at that point I'd have just wasted more money if I decided to sell it.

I've been thinking for a long time to move to an E90 M3, which has a very unique presence and the motor is legendary (after replacing the rod bearings and throttle actuators). When driving my G, I just don't get that feeling of uniqueness that I want out of a car. It's still just a luxury sedan at it's roots. I've "added lightness" as much as I could to make it more nimble (light wheels, 2 piece rotors, 6lb battery) but the car still doesn't have enough of a raw presence as I'd like. I feel like I had more fun in my fully bolted on, tuned, and geared RSX Type-S just because it had more character.

I can slightly relate I'm 36 and I know I won't keep the car forever but as far as replacements there's not much that speaks to me. If you are brave/confident enough to go with the M3 that would surely offer a more unique driving experience. But I think the sedan options for enthusiasts just grow smaller with each generation. Thoughts on a ISF or is that too much of luxury without the sport? Also I think the bones of that platform are getting old.
Old 08-14-2024, 01:06 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Yeah you aren't kidding, the options are limited! Any coupes are out of the question since we are trying to have a child. This isn't our primary family car so I have leeway but still need a backseat for those times that I take the child. I think the Lexus ISF is a bit too luxurious for my tastes like you said.

I'd also like to stay naturally aspirated so that rules out quite a few options as well. We're already looking at a 2020 model year BMW X3 M40i for the family car so that will be plenty of turbo power for me to enjoy.
Old 08-14-2024, 01:19 PM
FrogmanKouki
Registered Member

Yeah you aren't kidding, the options are limited! Any coupes are out of the question since we are trying to have a child. This isn't our primary family car so I have leeway but still need a backseat for those times that I take the child. I think the Lexus ISF is a bit too luxurious for my tastes like you said.

I'd also like to stay naturally aspirated so that rules out quite a few options as well. We're already looking at a 2020 model year BMW X3 M40i for the family car so that will be plenty of turbo power for me to enjoy.
The X3 M40i is a good choice my mom has one and says it's been her favorite vehicle since the 90s.

As for staying naturally aspirated will be a challenge! We have a one year old so understand the considerations for a car seat (some of those are huge!) and just replaced an 2012 Civic with a 2024 CX-5 AWD Turbo in July. Not as luxurious as a BMW but actually has way more torque than the G, and decent gearing that makes it a punchy back roads driver. While at the dealership I was eyeing the CX-70 and 90, those have Mazda's new straight 6, and a RWD biased AWD system. Maybe a bit large but I'm trying to broaden my horizons when it comes time to G37 replacement.

Sorry for the night photo it was just minutes after getting it home.
backman_66 (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 01:36 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Nice, I feel like there's been other discussions here about Mazda SUVs and crossovers so it seems like a pretty nice choice for a family car. The only time I've owned a Mazda was when I bought an 04 Mazda 6 brand new. Didn't really care for it too much looking back on it now, but it wasn't terrible either. Have they upped their game since 20 years ago?
Old 08-14-2024, 01:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You've got jsolo's old 6MT, right? Personally, I think your G can be the platform that makes you happy, but you have to modify it. The rear gear final drive upgrade to 4.083:1 would certainly be a mod that gets you there. I'm assuming you upgraded to the RMJ clutch pedal, right? And maybe a STS if you haven't already.

38 is way too early for a mid-life crisis.
abrecos (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 02:00 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Yes it's Jsolo's old G. That's part of the reason I'm still holding onto it, because it's been extremely well taken care of. The back seat has been sat in less than 10 times probably!

I've done just about everything except headers, STS, clutch, flywheel, and final drive. Here's everything I can think of:

25% tint
Black vinyl on window chrome
RJM Clutch Pedal
18x8.5 and 18x9.5 Superspeed RF03RR with Pilot Sport A/S3+ tires (wheels weigh 18 pounds each)
370Z Nismo red springs
Eibach front and rear sways
Z1 2 piece rotors front and rear
Centric Posi Quiet pads
Z1 differential brace
2.75" CAI with custom velocity stacks by Rabbit Hole Motorsports
Ported throttle bodies
Ported upper intake manifold
Ported lower intake manifold
GTR 550cc injectors
AAM Resonated high flow cats
Fast Intentions 2.5" CBE with 18" resonators