G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 11:09 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
I finally found a driver's door piece (with the cutouts for seat memory buttons) and am fixing to send it off to the folks who I got the dipped nav panel surround from.

Of other note... I got in on the last VLINE group buy. Might be August before I have a free weekend though (not actually kidding).
Old 02-07-2024, 01:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
I bought a cheap Bluetooth OBD2 scanner because my kid's Nissan is throwing a code. Turns out there's a small leak in the Evap System. I seem to remember the same thing happening to my old Maxima after 10 years and 70k miles, which makes me think Nissan uses some crappy plastic parts in the Evap cannister. But I don't know.

Anyway, it's pretty cool because it uses your phone for the interface.
Old 02-07-2024, 02:16 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I bought a cheap Bluetooth OBD2 scanner because my kid's Nissan is throwing a code. Turns out there's a small leak in the Evap System. I seem to remember the same thing happening to my old Maxima after 10 years and 70k miles, which makes me think Nissan uses some crappy plastic parts in the Evap cannister. But I don't know.

Funny to hear things haven't changed. We had the same issues with my B15 and the house hold 5.5gen Maximas.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

A couple of years ago, a new car wash opened up a few miles away. The hand-wash kind, where you get out of the car and hose it down yourself. It's nicely built, clean and feels safe in its location. My only gripe is there are no bay doors, it's open front to back.

Anyway, $4.00 in quarters for five minutes. I brought my own bucket and mitt, filled with soapy water from home.

1 minute for pre-soak.
2 minutes for hand wash with the mitt.
1 minute for soapy water rinse.
1 minute for clean water rinse.

It's a sprint to the finish. Kind of a workout, LOL.
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (02-14-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 08:13 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts
I've been ***** deep in BMW forums tackling this 235i I just purchased. It's a bit funny joining new forums coming off technical with low post count can attract some trolling.
Another funny is how most BMWs benefit tremendously from a a specific cable as well as the downloading of BMW specific software to read and program the car, something I didnt want to delve to deep in being that the last car I immersed my self in I ended up building an engine stand and becoming a moderator of said forum

It's something I I terribly have a habit of doing, something I did not want to do again.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:55 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,281 Likes on 1,036 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
...It's something I I terribly have a habit of doing, something I did not want to do again.
And something I will be doing if I ever find the damn 430i or Z4 I am trying to find...

Idiotic part is that the cable (whether ENET or DCAN) plus the software (most use BimmerCode) costs hundreds, if not thousands less than Nissan's CONSULT nonsense. Hell, even BMW's official setup ISTA can be had for dirt cheap with tons of aftermarket options.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:15 AM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
And something I will be doing if I ever find the damn 430i or Z4 I am trying to find...

Idiotic part is that the cable (whether ENET or DCAN) plus the software (most use BimmerCode) costs hundreds, if not thousands less than Nissan's CONSULT nonsense. Hell, even BMW's official setup ISTA can be had for dirt cheap with tons of aftermarket options.
When you compare apples to apples yes. BMW is much cheaper however I payed my buddy a visit who has a fancy LAUNCH module that read a Ferrari and Tesla. Lo and Behold - It scanned ALL the modules of that BMW.

The terrible part is the slow data rate you get with standard cables/units, somewhat forcing you into BMW software + cable.
Old 02-14-2024, 04:00 PM
PDG
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I've been ***** deep in BMW forums tackling this 235i I just purchased. It's a bit funny joining new forums coming off technical with low post count can attract some trolling.
Another funny is how most BMWs benefit tremendously from a a specific cable as well as the downloading of BMW specific software to read and program the car, something I didnt want to delve to deep in being that the last car I immersed my self in I ended up building an engine stand and becoming a moderator of said forum

It's something I I terribly have a habit of doing, something I did not want to do again.
I really like the M235i and M2. I browse them on Auto Trader from time to time....
Old 02-14-2024, 04:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by PDG
I really like the M235i and M2. I browse them on Auto Trader from time to time....
I've got a friend with a 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport 6MT, (so many letters and numbers).

His is pristine, inside and out. But more than that, it's a fantastic car as a DD, a driver's car.
abrecos (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 06:05 PM
abrecos
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

There is app I believe in a both Google and Apple store that called NDS and it works with basic OBD2 scanners. The NDSIII provides basic diagnostics for N i s s a n and I n f i n i t i cars. It is intended for newer cars that have a 16-pin OBDII connecter and use Consult III protocol over CAN. Those are usually cars build between years 2007 and now. The connector is typically located near the fuse box. It's built for diagnostic on Nissan and Infiniti vehicles. You can reset your idle RPM, scan and reset check engine codes get live stream data from all of your vehicle's sensors. It's very handy tool.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:40 AM
BULL
Moderador

I seem to have discovered something about the 2008+ nissans/infiniti with the Push Start/Stop button. (Personal Discovery)

Every time I pick up my boys from school I usually have to wait 10 minutes for them to come to the car. In that process I've left the car on idling many times because I'm paired to the OEM BT.

Even with the latest update and different phones my phone takes time to pair. The usual steps are: get in the car, BT connects, BT disconnects, phone says cant pair, go into FM mode, pair again from phone. While phone is pairing then move towards BT audio and it starts working. I doesnt bother as much as it used to.

With this being said I value my gas 2% more than BT audio, so over time I started to turn off the car. Not wanting to go through the pairing process I would just depend on my airpods to help.

About a month ago in a rush I got to the school and pressed the Start/Stop button x2 while the vehicle was running and engine turned off but audio stayed on. WTF!!!!

Decided to enjoy this experience and tried another time. Lo and behold I did it again and the car went from ON to ACC instead of completely OFF.

So engine ON, if you want to enjoy Audio without re-pairing simply touch the Start/Stop button x2 while ON and it wont fully turn OFF it will turn off the engine but land you in ACC while still paired.

This was a big win for me, I've yet to come across this and wouldn't surprise if the manual has this info though I've never read it and have not come across this here either.

Sea Stories (03-28-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 08:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by abrecos
There is app I believe in a both Google and Apple store that called NDS and it works with basic OBD2 scanners. The NDSIII provides basic diagnostics for N i s s a n and I n f i n i t i cars. It is intended for newer cars that have a 16-pin OBDII connecter and use Consult III protocol over CAN. Those are usually cars build between years 2007 and now. The connector is typically located near the fuse box. It's built for diagnostic on Nissan and Infiniti vehicles. You can reset your idle RPM, scan and reset check engine codes get live stream data from all of your vehicle's sensors. It's very handy tool.
So my $16 blue tooth OBD2 reader will work with this NDSIII app?
Old 02-15-2024, 08:55 AM
Rochester
Administrator

So engine ON, if you want to enjoy Audio without re-pairing simply touch the Start/Stop button x2 while ON and it wont fully turn OFF it will turn off the engine but land you in ACC while still paired.
Been doing that since the day I bought the car. Pretty sure it's in the manual. I distinctly remember the day after buying it, waiting parked on the street for my girls in dance class ( ), and discovering that feature. Been using it ever since.

Countless times I'm in the same waiting-in-the-parking-lot mode with the wife's Subaru, and I double-press the ignition button expecting the music to stay on. That's the annoying side of this feature, you expect it in every car.
abrecos (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 06:30 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
So my $16 blue tooth OBD2 reader will work with this NDSIII app?
I've been using the nds app with my cheap little Bluetooth reader for years, it works great. Makes resetting idle air volume a breeze after doing any throttle body work.

As a bonus, Motorvate DIY made me a little mini obd extension dongle thing, so I can have the reader plugged in and tucked away while still having the port open for service. Torque, OBD Fusion and NDSIII can start right up as you turn on the car.
abrecos (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 06:53 PM
abrecos
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
The adapter must have a Bluetooth ELM327 chip in it to work with app.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread