G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 09:14 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 325 Likes on 249 Posts
Ok, so I’ve decided that I’m going to take the “sunroof drain reroute to A/C drain” method of permanently fixing the issues with those firewall grommets that 1) fail and let water leak back into the cabin/all over electronics and 2) are a pretty big pain to access.

Asked a few regular shops around my way to see if they’d being willing to do this (I provide all the materials), and they all kinda looked at me like I’m crazy. Tricky to explain the issue and need for the homegrown fix to these guys (some don’t speak English as first language)

Are most people just doing this type of project themselves? Anyone know a shop that would be open to this work in the DMV area? This project seems kinda easy, but I’m not experienced with taking apart and putting back together interior panels. Am I overthinking it? Should I be able to pull this job off, without ever opening up A pillars, dashboard panels, etc?.

Rain season is coming up quickly, gotta knock out this one ASAP
Old 03-30-2023, 09:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,645 Likes on 3,475 Posts
That's a great video! Anyone can totally DIY that project.

I know there's a sunroof drain issue with the G, but I never really paid a lot of attention to the problem. I think because I almost never open my sunroof, and for that matter rarely drive in the rain. So is the problem simply the age of the rubber & plastic materials giving out over the years, or is it that combined with typical use of the car in the rain with the sunroof closed? In other words, how "inevitable" is this for garage queen?
Old 03-30-2023, 09:48 AM
Rochester
Administrator

@ToXIc made this video where he talks about using warm soapy water and compressed air to maintain the drain lines.

It's a pretty good video.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-30-2023 at 11:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ToXIc (03-30-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 10:11 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts
Im still a firm believer in the oem drain pocket . As frustrating as having water in your car, the main fault is the terrible the oem plug is however a simple modification takes care of it. When you dont have success from this then this means there is another problem.

Kind of like re-doing the drains in your house because the simple fix the internet tells you is not working for you. Let's throw some diagnosis and engineering at it.
Nissan/infiniti are really good on the engineering of metal components however sucked in the plastics and interior areas.

As I see all of these leaks have fixed all of mines except for a cracked windshield, I realized that some of these just need a good 20 minutes of thought. If the drain pocket is clean once the water enters it will exit from out of the car. A superceeded drain plug, or the straw method with about 1-2 inches past the lip of the plug will ensure no leaks.
If at any point this did not work out for you then the pocket was clogged.

I have issues with random hoses/wires/lines
thescreensavers (04-04-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 10:24 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,279 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
I have issues with random hoses/wires/lines
Agreed. However, for me, it was easier to just cut/splice and be done than to fiddle with that grommet. Besides, Nissan has gone through what, 3 or 4 revisions of that damn grommet since then? For me, this method was a "one and done" deal. Just as the iPad cover trick solved my cowl leak issue. But, everyone has their own methods to madness...

Originally Posted by Rochester
In other words, how "inevitable" is this for garage queen?
All sunroofs leak. The rubber seal around the perimeter of the glass is not intended to be a 100% watertight seal. This is why the drain system exists in the first place. Usage of the roof has no effect on the grommet failure. Whether you never open or, like me, have it open moreso than not, water will still drip in past the seal.

Just my 10¢? If the only water your car ever sees is from a garden hose, then I would not be as concerned with the grommet failure. Even if you got caught in a rain storm, any leakage would be minimal. However, any car that is parked outside for extended periods of time should address this issue. Even if you park your car in the garage at night, if your car sits at the train station parking lot all day every day, for example, then you should consider tackling the problem. Remember the old adage, "A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Am I overthinking it? Should I be able to pull this job off...
Do you change your own cabin air filter? If so, then there is no reason you can not tackle this problem- whichever direction you want to take.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 03-30-2023 at 10:36 AM.
STownSaint (03-31-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 11:37 AM
ToXIc
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
@ToXIc made this video where he talks about using warm soapy water and compressed air to maintain the drain lines.

It's a pretty good video.
thx bro! high praise!

Sedan Chat Thread-nx52btjl.jpg
Above is an example of a clogged bulkhead fitting maybe from tree debris and dust, dirt accumulation.. As an OEM there are certain guidelines or engineering choices made for the masses over the few.
This for example is what im guessing is an obstruction for bugs or what have you to not get into the cabin of the car.. Is it ideal? no, not at all but with other aspects of car ownership it just needs to be taken care off. Dont wait for the issue just keep it clean with soapy warm water and compressed air.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:40 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S

Do you change your own cabin air filter? If so, then there is no reason you can not tackle this problem- whichever direction you want to take.
Nnnnnope. To me, this job comes down to finessing the A pillar and door sill panels off. Everything else seems straightforward. Maybe there’s some tricks to snaking the tubes behind the dash and between the footwells.

It sounds like you followed this method? Did you experience any snags? Think I’m mainly paranoid about snapping off all these damn plastic tabs that connect the interior pieces to the car…
Old 03-31-2023, 09:28 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

It sounds like you followed this method? Did you experience any snags? Think I’m mainly paranoid about snapping off all these damn plastic tabs that connect the interior pieces to the car…
I did reroute both front drains. The passenger-side took me about 45min. while the driver-side took me just under one-hour. The A-pillar trim piece is tricky but it popped right off. The rest of the pieces are designed to be detached when needed with no issues. As long as you don't go "gorilla" on them you should not have any broken clips.

The "hardest part," for me, was snaking the passenger-side hose down from the dash to the floor only because of the jumble of wires and modules that are "in the way." Just ensure the hose is not kinked at any point and that it has a straight a shot as possible.

I will say this, if you do not feel comfortable doing this type of work, then I would strongly suggest you find someone who is. In fact, if you are not able to change your own cabin air filter then this is probably not a project for you to sharpen your DIY skills. I am not trying to discourage you, I am just suggesting you evaluate your skill set and proceed accordingly.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 03-31-2023 at 10:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ILM-NC G37S:
rotarymike (03-31-2023), STownSaint (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 01:54 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

@ILM-NC G37S thanks a lot for the input. I'm sure it's clear to you that I'm not brimming with confidence about DIYing this one. If I bite the bullet, I'll at least get something like this for the trim removal: Schwaben Trim/Moulding Tool Kit - 5 Pieces

I'll keep trying to find someone around here that's willing to do the work or at least help out. I'm guessing autobody shops would be more open to this kinda of project than a mechanic shop. The few shops I've talked to, once I mention that it's custom project using non-OEM parts, they drop interest. Maybe some kind of liability thing.

Worst case, have some pals back in my hometown (NY) that can help, but won't make it back there til next month. And you know what they say about April showers...
Old 03-31-2023, 04:02 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
@STownSaint where are you again?

I've had the same issue getting shops to do anything non-oem, non-proprietary to my car. They see it, see it is modified, and are all "hard pass". Hell, the Infiniti dealer wouldn't replace my CSC / clutch / flywheel unless I bought OEM infiniti parts, from them - had to take it to the janky nissan dealer.
STownSaint (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 06:10 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

@rotarymike I'm in DC. Yep, that's exactly what happens. Can't blame em I guess, when they have steady business and some rando comes to ask them to watch a youtube video and install some 3/8" tubing in my footwells

Honestly might hang out behind the Infiniti dealer to see if one of the techs are open to side-gigs. Sounds creepy I know, but had the same setup for my last car (Altima) where I'd pay a Nissan tech cash for small projects. But I met him at the gym and he became a friend, so way less creepy than what I'm considering...
Old 04-01-2023, 07:36 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
Case of beer can do wonders for getting someone to help. I've gotten minor body shop stuff done that way - it's my one failing as a mechanic, I can't do body work to save my ***.

While I lived there, it was from 90-93 so no idea on car shop. I owned a toyota and it never needed work I couldn't do.

Idea: these guys are still around: facebook.com/groups/mazdasportscarsofwashington (edited to remove link since the forum didn't like it)
When I lived in NC, we modeled our club after them. While it is a different marque, Miata folks leave NOTHING stock so they will definitely know which mechanics can do performance or other oddball stuff.
STownSaint (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 09:29 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Honestly might hang out behind the Infiniti dealer to see if one of the techs are open to side-gigs. Sounds creepy I know, but had the same setup for my last car (Altima) where I'd pay a Nissan tech cash for small projects. But I met him at the gym and he became a friend, so way less creepy than what I'm considering...
In this day and age... beyond creepy, lol.

You are seriously overthinking the scope but I understand your hesitation. If your Nissan guy is still around give him a call?

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 04-01-2023 at 10:34 AM.
STownSaint (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 09:34 AM
Rochester
Administrator

LOL, don't do that unless you can stomach the embarrassment of being told to leave and stop stalking employees.

There's a difference between approaching a technician who's already working on your car, and randomly asking kids if they'll help you find your dog.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:38 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Ha rest be assured, I wouldn’t actually go through with that (maybe I’m a little weird, but far from that weird).

Had a modest rain last night/this morning, and my floor mat was bone dry. So maybe not as urgent as I thought, but def keeping this project center of the radar (as folks have mentioned, better handle it now before things like short-circuited BCM happen). That 3/8 x 1/2 x 3/8 tee connect has eluded me, might have to order that one online.

And had a nice drive this AM, hit some on ramps and got to highway speeds for bit. Bought the car almost exactly 10 years ago and still love hopping behind the wheel
(bullsht quirks and issues notwithstanding)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread