G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 04:22 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
For those who do not have the ability to plug in a battery tender- which is almost mandatory for modern cars that sit for extended periods of time- there are solar options.

Battery Tender,- Solar

I will have to check with my neighbor to see which one he has, but he parks for weeks at a time at the airport and has one of these hooked up to his (gasp) Lexus. He doesn't like the idea of having a lithium battery "jumper pack" in his trunk for weeks at a time, so this was a logical tradeoff for him. This might be something to look into...
I wouldn't have thought a panel in the car would work well since the windows block UV light. Definitely makes sense in a lot of cases for a car that doesn't get driven a lot.

Originally Posted by STownSaint

The solar powered tended sounds like a neat idea, thanks for the heads up. But afraid it’d be a target for vandalism. My car is parked near pretty heavy foot traffic. And my city has a problem with car theft, wheel theft, etc. So anything to attract attention could be a risk. Bummer but it is what it is

No remote start. Just LEDs in the interior and front turn signals (so had to also splice in resistors). No place to plug in a tender nearing my parking spot. Are there places where I can bring the battery for a charge? This something Pepboys or a mechanic would offer? I’ll call around to ask.
You can buy a battery charger for under ~$40 probably, Could bring the battery inside with you and charge it overnight. Our batteries are a bit of a pain to take in and out though.
The following users liked this post:
STownSaint (02-22-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 04:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
A solar powered battery tender. Genius! I haven't seen that in probably 10 or 15 years when one of our manufacturers used to send their new cars with them installed- maybe VW or Audi. They didn't do it for very long, but great idea for a dealership, especially in the winter.
Old 02-21-2023, 02:48 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
I had one in one of my RX7s (solar battery tender) and it couldn't keep up with the parasitic drain of the radio memory and the 3 Greddy electronic gauges I had in there. Maybe they've gotten better.
Old 02-21-2023, 03:05 PM
thescreensavers
Registered Member

Received 83 Likes on 64 Posts
@STownSaint Do you have an O'Reilly's Auto Parts nearby? You can rent an ampound which can check for parasitic draw through the fuses.

Also, if you know your cars is going to sit for a long time, you can pull the Elec Parts fuse, I believe tells you the manual to do for extended storage. It's the one highlighted black on the fuse panel in the driver's side.
STownSaint (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 05:24 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 325 Likes on 249 Posts
@thescreensavers not super close, but maybe close enough. Auto zone and Pepboys are the common chains around my way, I’ll check to see if they offer it or someth8ng similar. Thanks for the heads up!

Will also check out that fuse, although hoping to find a solution that doesn’t require pulling it (I’d assumed that pulling the fuse would also reset some of the electronics?)
Old 02-22-2023, 07:33 PM
thescreensavers
Registered Member

Received 83 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
@thescreensavers not super close, but maybe close enough. Auto zone and Pepboys are the common chains around my way, I’ll check to see if they offer it or someth8ng similar. Thanks for the heads up!

Will also check out that fuse, although hoping to find a solution that doesn’t require pulling it (I’d assumed that pulling the fuse would also reset some of the electronics?)
Here is a good article on that fuse

​​​​Extended Storage Switch and BCM Transit Mode
STownSaint (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 11:11 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 325 Likes on 249 Posts
Awesome, just bookmarked it. Thanks

The car has been starting fine these last few days. Thinking that when I took the battery in for testing this past weekend, it was charged up more than it has since my trip. I’m planning to take a road trip this weekend to give the car a good run and see if issues continue. Hopefully something like 50 miles each way, so the alternator kicks in and does it’s thing.

Appreciate all the ideas, super helpful
Old 03-06-2023, 08:07 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 234 Likes on 163 Posts
I ordered some OEM style headlights with black housings on ebay, which came from China. Well my tracking says they are delivered on the 4th but they are no where to be found. I ordered another package from China 1 day prior, and that came today. I checked the timelines for both and the one that arrived today was shipped first, and left China first. I know that's not exactly telling by any means, but I'm still hoping they show up. That and checking the timelines the headlights seamed to have a couple steps missing that the other package had (both transferred to USPS). I will give it two days. According to the missing steps it could be potentially 1-2 days behind the package I did get. If I don't get it I guess I'll try the post office first (online missing package wasn't working for me), and then ask for a refund on ebay. As for why I wanted these? I don't like the look of OEM (chrome), I am sick of my GTR style (high beams are laughable, the turn signal bulb looks bad at the top, and they are pretty played out by the bad G crowd) , and I don't want to take apart or pay someone to take apart my OEM for now.

Sedan Chat Thread-1ovwwid.png
Old 03-06-2023, 08:59 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Nice, I've seen a lot of plastic lenses show up on Aliexpress. I have been considering taking mine apart again and putting new lenses on. But first, going to try this Griot's Garage ceramic headlight restoration.
rotarymike (03-08-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 09:44 PM
EcstaticG37XS
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
I ordered some OEM style headlights with black housings on ebay, which came from China. Well my tracking says they are delivered on the 4th but they are no where to be found. I ordered another package from China 1 day prior, and that came today. I checked the timelines for both and the one that arrived today was shipped first, and left China first. I know that's not exactly telling by any means, but I'm still hoping they show up. That and checking the timelines the headlights seamed to have a couple steps missing that the other package had (both transferred to USPS). I will give it two days. According to the missing steps it could be potentially 1-2 days behind the package I did get. If I don't get it I guess I'll try the post office first (online missing package wasn't working for me), and then ask for a refund on ebay. As for why I wanted these? I don't like the look of OEM (chrome), I am sick of my GTR style (high beams are laughable, the turn signal bulb looks bad at the top, and they are pretty played out by the bad G crowd) , and I don't want to take apart or pay someone to take apart my OEM for now.

Curious to see your review of these headlights when you get them. Hopefully light output is similar to OEM as there's a lot of negative reviews of the GTR style headlights. Too bad they don't offer these with chrome projectors instead of just black.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:41 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Originally Posted by EcstaticG37XS
Curious to see your review of these headlights when you get them. Hopefully light output is similar to OEM as there's a lot of negative reviews of the GTR style headlights. Too bad they don't offer these with chrome projectors instead of just black.
They do offer these with chrome, check ebay. From what I've heard, these are not as good as OEM, but better than the OEMmassive (GTR), for output. I hate any Chrome personally, unless it's on a muscle car. Wish they would have came out with a midnight edition G37 like they did with so many Nissans.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,645 Likes on 3,475 Posts
Speaking of midnight editions... I saw a Black Horse at the Auto Show last week. I don't think I've ever seen as menacing a car in person as that Mustang.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
rotarymike (03-08-2023), SupraOfDoom (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 09:46 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Speaking of midnight editions... I saw a Black Horse at the Auto Show last week. I don't think I've ever seen as menacing a car in person as that Mustang.
I'd love to see one of those. One of my friends/co-workers just bought a 18 GT Performance pack. The tech is pretty impressive these days, even compared to our cars. When we get Motorvate's GTR gauges we could be a bit closer however!
Old 03-07-2023, 06:22 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
Nice, I've seen a lot of plastic lenses show up on Aliexpress. I have been considering taking mine apart again and putting new lenses on. But first, going to try this Griot's Garage ceramic headlight restoration.
Originally Posted by EcstaticG37XS
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
They do offer these with chrome, check ebay. From what I've heard, these are not as good as OEM, but better than the OEMmassive (GTR), for output. I hate any Chrome personally, unless it's on a muscle car. Wish they would have came out with a midnight edition G37 like they did with so many Nissans.
If you know anyone with a pre-2010 G sedan, then I still have a pair of OEM headlights from my 2008 G35 sedan. The headlights had PPF applied to them when the car was brand new, so the lens are in great shape and all clips and pins are still intact.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:37 PM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I saw that too. Didn't have time to check it out. We were getting harassed by a sales woman so I got the hell out of there. My 2 idiot friends actually gave her their emails for the promise of a $50 gift card. She said they would just have to fill out a survey. Turns out they have go test drive a Ford to get it. And now they'll get spam emails forever.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread