G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 12:23 PM
PDG
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
I'd skip the diff brace and silicone hoses if you don't need to do a repair in that area. Exhaust I highly recommend. I think the coilovers are too much for a 100% street car - even including autocross. For a track car, sure.
Interesting. I was under the impression the diff brace was a preventative thing. I have no diff issues currently, and would like to keep it that. Especially since I hope to do some autocross next summer. The silicone idea is for engine dress up purposes, and preventative as well, since all my hoses are 11 years old now.

Thanks for being a voice of reason on the coilovers, lol. There is a lot of fender gap talk over in the wheel and tire forum!
Old 12-16-2022, 12:49 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
rather than a diff brace, I’d recommend new diff bushings, either oem or whiteline. For hoses, I’d recommend oem unless you need the silicone.

im in the process of installing silicone and hope it works well, but there have been issues with coolant seeping through silicone. There’s a thread on here about it.
Old 12-16-2022, 12:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,643 Likes on 3,474 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
rather than a diff brace, I’d recommend new diff bushings, either oem or whiteline. For hoses, I’d recommend oem unless you need the silicone.

im in the process of installing silicone and hope it works well, but there have been issues with coolant seeping through silicone. There’s a thread on here about it.
You can't replace the OEM bushing with new OEM bushings unless you purchase an entire subframe.

So start with poly bushings. But it's not a simple job, it's pretty time consuming, which can translate into big cost at a shop.

And if you're still in the mood afterwards, add the diff brace. The beauty about the diff brace, it's a DIY for probably everyone (OK... 90%), and it's very inexpensive.
Old 12-16-2022, 02:44 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You can't replace the OEM bushing with new OEM bushings unless you purchase an entire subframe.

So start with poly bushings. But it's not a simple job, it's pretty time consuming, which can translate into big cost at a shop.

And if you're still in the mood afterwards, add the diff brace. The beauty about the diff brace, it's a DIY for probably everyone (OK... 90%), and it's very inexpensive.
Slight technicality. That bushing is used in motor mounts as well, I'm sure if properly measured a part number can be obtained.

With that being said it's totally not worth replacing it with the oem unit
Old 12-16-2022, 03:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by BULL
Slight technicality. That bushing is used in motor mounts as well, I'm sure if properly measured a part number can be obtained.

With that being said it's totally not worth replacing it with the oem unit
You can't replace the OEM motor mount bushings with a new OEM bushing either, you have to replace the entire mount & bushing assembly. Same for the rear diff.

I get how motor mounts are easier to conceptualize because they seem like a more cohesive unit, more so than the entire rear subframe. But it's the exact same situation. The OEM bushings in the motor mounts and the rear diff mount are bonded into their assemblies during manufacturing. You can cut & burn them out, and replace them with aftermarket bushings, but there is no path forward for replacement with OEM bushings without replacing the entire assembly.

If that assessment is inaccurate, by all means correct it. But pretty sure this is what it is.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-16-2022 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-16-2022, 03:37 PM
BULL
Moderador

You can't replace the OEM motor mount bushings with a new OEM bushing either, you have to replace the entire mount & bushing assembly. Same for the rear diff.

I get how motor mounts are easier to conceptualize because they seem like a more cohesive unit, more so than the entire rear subframe. But it's the exact same situation.
You're right, there wont be a fluid filled OEM option.

There are aftermarket pressed in bushings that will work that are not fluid filled.

$40 less than a poly but at this point and with all that work, why not poly?
Old 12-16-2022, 03:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by BULL
why not poly?
I'm a fan of solid poly bushings. They're in my motor mounts, my transmission mount, and the rear diff.

IMO, the added NVH is a fair trade for perceived benefits. Maybe not for every car, or every G, but it works for me.
Old 12-17-2022, 10:30 PM
PDG
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
How do we feel about OEM vs aftermarket TPMS? OEM is $60 per sensor. Discount Tire wants $60 per for their no name sensors. Z1 sells a Schrader brand for $35 a sensor.....
Old 12-17-2022, 10:40 PM
thescreensavers
Registered Member

Received 83 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by PDG
How do we feel about OEM vs aftermarket TPMS? OEM is $60 per sensor. Discount Tire wants $60 per for their no name sensors. Z1 sells a Schrader brand for $35 a sensor.....
I have used generic "Alligator" cloned TPMS sensors in the past without issues and I have a set sitting in the garage for my wheels when ever I get tires for them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262259993348
Old 12-18-2022, 02:48 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 261 Likes on 218 Posts

My 2013 has 66K on the odometer and and the main diff bushing doesn't appear to be cracked yet.. However, I wanted to call around and get pricing as I expect it may go in the next year and wanted to stay ahead of the repair. I called ConceptZ in AZ since they specialize as I expect it may be hard to find a non-Nissan mechanic that will want to change only the bushing here in CA. CZP recommended this group as they are used for all of CZP's service needs: https://pitstopaz.com/

Spoke to Vitale (manager) and he said it's alot of work, even if you know what you are doing and have done it prior like they have.

The labor is 7 hours @ $125 per hour ($875) and he recommended the Polyurethane Whiteline Differential Bushing Set (just over $100): https://conceptzperformance.com/whit...911_p_8193.php

So roughly a grand unless you want to take the task on yourself. Would love to know if any of you have found a shop that will do it for less.
Old 12-18-2022, 04:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

That's a lot of money to fix something that isn't broken.
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (12-20-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 06:41 PM
thescreensavers
Registered Member

Received 83 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
My 2013 has 66K on the odometer and and the main diff bushing doesn't appear to be cracked yet..
If your diff bushing hasn't leaked all over your subframe id just add a diff brace since it's cheap and it will offload that bushing to prevent it from failing.
The following 3 users liked this post by thescreensavers:
2GoRNot2G (12-19-2022), ngolbuff (12-19-2022), Rochester (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 10:36 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
I did it myself; took a few hours to get the shell of the old bushing out but nothing extreme. I did not resort to a torch - drill around center, sawzall to connect the holes, then sawzall straight down to slit the shell. Once I had a slit in the shell, cold chisel to pry it away from the crossmember, and once the shell was loose in a few spots it slid out. I used the Whiteline kit.

It would have been VASTLY easier on a lift. On the other hand, I was doing exhaust too so taking the whole diff out wasn't that bad - maybe 20 minutes to unhook everything. They might be quoting removing the exhaust for access.

If you are contemplating this, it's an upgrade/repair to perform in conjunction with other stuff, like exhaust, unless your bushing is toast already.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

My rear diff main bushing was fine when I replaced it. The only reason I had it done was the diff was off the car for a rear gear swap, and it seemed a good opportunity.

But if your bushing isn't blown, I agree with thescreensaves, get yourself a diff brace and DIY the install.
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (12-23-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 09:18 AM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by PDG
You should look into Costco.

My dad recently went through a broken one, low battery TPMS and went through the ordeal at used replacement and reprogram and nothing.

Costco sold him 5 TPMS (Spare included) for $70 installed and programmed. I haven't checked with the Costco next to my house however if true, that're pretty exciting.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread