Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 01:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,645 Likes on 3,475 Posts
Originally Posted by JSolo
Can you drill the other one out?
Nope, don't have the right tools and access to make that happen. I've the will, but not the way.

And I can't tell if that other bolt is a simple nut & bolt, or a post that's welded to the flange. Either way, hammer and chisel isn't working on that one.

I'm just hoping this one-bolt hack can hang on until I can get a shop to look at it.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:09 PM
thescreensavers
Registered Member

Received 83 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Nope, don't have the right tools and access to make that happen. I've the will, but not the way.

And I can't tell if that other bolt is a simple nut & bolt, or a post that's welded to the flange. Either way, hammer and chisel isn't working on that one.

I'm just hoping this one-bolt hack can hang on until I can get a shop to look at it.
Go to Harbor freight and buy some locking pliers , zip tie it to the car in case it falls off though.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:21 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
So that happened to my midpipe. If you can get your hands on an airhammer you can knock that welded bolt right off the other side, and replace with a new nut and bolt.

One bolt will probably hang on, but it's still gonna leak.
The following 2 users liked this post by iCrap:
abrecos (09-25-2022), Rochester (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 08:02 PM
abrecos
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
I would say is definitely not welded to the flange but instead its bolt trough with a nut attached to another side, a typical exhaust setup. you can get this bolt-out tool https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-...ImlzIjoiMjkuNz and use the appropriate size, probably 14 mm. to break pieces from both sides. I have done this many times before. or this bad boy
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by abrecos; 09-25-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:08 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
My kid's 2014 Sentra started growling this morning with an exhaust leak. I got under the car and discovered the flange connections between the resonator and the muffler were disconnected. The bolts had sheared right off.

So with the hammer and chisel, I could break off the rusted nut on one of the holes, but couldn't break away the other. And the best I could do for now was put a big SS bolt in the one accessible hole. But just the one.

How long do you think one bolt can hang on?

Eek. That doesn't look like a fun job, John, but it looks like you did pretty well for a quick fix. Did you happen to try a nut splitter on the other side? That tool is pretty cheap and can be invaluable especially when working on rusty exhaust bolts/nuts.

Regarding how long that one bolt will hold... If the exhaust pipes are aligned properly then there shouldn't be a lot of little stress on those bolts and I would think that one bolt would hold up for a while. However, you may end up with a small exhaust leak since you won't have clamping forces around the entire circumference of that flange connection. The hot exhaust gasses leaking will also likely burn the gasket eventually, which will end up creating a larger leak over time. My biggest concern is that in that first photo it looks like like those pipes aren't aligned properly, which would put a lot of stress on that connection. Is that gap in the piping there due to you trying to create some clearance to work? If not, then you may have a bent pipe and/or hanger or possible a broken hanger that is causing those pipes to be misaligned.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Couldn't get into my regular shop until end of week, they're that busy. But I found a muffler shop about 10 miles away who has a solid 5.0 out of 150 in google reviews for the last three years he's been open. I rolled the dice, called him up, then dropped off the car. A few hours later he sent me pics of the flange area around the cat, and it was tissue paper. Totally gone. He's going to repair that section, as well as the obvious break at the muffler inlet pipe. And he said $200 out the door, for a setup that should hold up for another 2-3 years.

Knock on wood. Still waiting to see how this turns out.

And you're right, the pipes are not aligned properly. The bolt is pulling them into alignment. Hmm.

Thanks for responding, guys.

[edit]

$183 out the door. They used a torch and air hammer to break away the stud welded to the one flange, bolted up both sides with a gasket. Back at the converter, they cut out both sides of the garbage flange area, slipped another section of pipe over both pipes and welded it in place. He told me after fixing the cat side, the muffler alignment came back in place.

I haven't driven it yet, but my daughter is complaining there's a new buzzing noise, which I'm assuming is a heatshield somewhere. So I'm going to have to get it back up on ramps again, front and back, assess what was done today, and see what's up before she heads back to school. Man, I wish my oldest had a better car.

[another edit]

Got under both ends of the car to check out the work. Two bolts and a gasket at the muffler, and a patch pipe between the cat and the resonator, welded in place and sealed for rust. Also while under there, I found a couple of heat shield sections that could be bent away from the frame and get rid of this persistent rattle. (Everyone should own a pair of tin snips, LOL)

Last edited by Rochester; 09-27-2022 at 02:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
2GoRNot2G (09-27-2022), abrecos (09-26-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 11:09 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
Did they start actually selling the Ford Maverick yet? LOL.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:38 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Did they start actually selling the Ford Maverick yet? LOL.
I see them all the time around here now. Great looking little truck.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:06 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Have yet to see one of the new Maverick trucks out here in CA, but I have seen several of the new Rivian trucks. A couple of my neighbors have them and in person it's actually a decent looking truck once you get past the odd front end.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:30 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 212 Posts
I love the Maverick. I see one around semi regularly with some larger AT tires and it looks great. Very possibly my next vehicle.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:42 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I mentioned the Maverick not to threadjack @Rochester but as a suggested solution to his daughter's problem car LOL.

I wish I had a use-case for one. They look well designed, well priced, and the mileage from a truck (at least the hybrid option) is amazing.

But with my G sitting since May or early June, and my wife not wanting a truck as her next vehicle (she's pretty set on staying in a CUV) there's no place for it in our driveway.

Maybe I can convince my employer that as they age out the fleet of Ford Fusions they look at those rather than the Edge.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:02 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I mentioned the Maverick not to threadjack @Rochester but as a suggested solution to his daughter's problem car LOL.
I'm done, Mike. Carry on.

I've said a number of time that I think the base-model Maverick has a lot of appeal. $21k, high mileage hybrid, comfortably sized interior, truck practicality with car-like drivability. And for what it is, the vehicle is pretty darn attractive. I like it.

If I ever actually look at the Maverick seriously though, I'd probably want AWD and the Lariat trim level, and suddenly this becomes an expensive truck.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:00 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Headlights: OEM vs Aftermarket

I've had a crack in my passenger headlight housing since mid-summer, and it finally stopped working with the moisture buildup inside.
I am trying to figure out if I'm better off getting OEM replacements (New or used) or if I should just get aftermarket.
If anyone is knowledgeable in this subject, please chime in.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:14 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

There's a headlight thread somewhere that has a link to the Alibaba new headlight housing covers
Old 09-28-2022, 12:22 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,279 Likes on 1,034 Posts
There's a headlight thread somewhere that has a link to the Alibaba new headlight housing covers
Here is the link re: new headlamp lenses AliExpress Headlamp Lenses
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (09-28-2022)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread