G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 04:24 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 145 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
Does anyone have a picture of their car's rear shock towers? I am trying to visualize how I'm going to do things in the future, I want to install a RDC (remote damper controller) but I wanted an idea of where I'll be cutting.
I'm not sure if this would be of any use to you: https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...dan-rwd-5.html
Old 05-23-2022, 07:38 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Intake manifold off.... I kinda thought i was gonna see more oil under there if the VCs are bad, but i guess due to the angle it all leaks the other way. Keep in mind this is after powerwashing the entire engine / degreassing, but obviously i wouldn't have been able to get anything under the intake manifold.
Decent bit of oil lining the inside, but I think that's normal. Never taken my car this far apart, kinda weird lol.

Old 05-24-2022, 12:39 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by backman_66
I did install high flow cats yeah, but I can see a brown/blackened spot coming out of the flex pipe so its definitely leaking there. The flex pipe is this style:

You're right. It's been so long. Pic I found online didn't show a good view of the flex portion. Might be cheaper to get it repaired than replacing the whole thing. How's the rest of it holding up? Btw, I'd do both flex sections if you're going to get it repaired.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:40 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Already ordered the FI 2.5" catback with 18" resonators and it's due to arrive in the next few weeks Very excited about it! I'll be installing it along with F/R 2-piece rotors.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:57 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
I'd recommend the Z1/Fi upgraded exhaust gaskets. The ones that come with the FI are like the ones I had to replace on the RX7 every 6 months.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...1797a07ab7c6ea
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (05-31-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 10:01 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Originally Posted by backman_66
Already ordered the FI 2.5" catback with 18" resonators and it's due to arrive in the next few weeks Very excited about it! I'll be installing it along with F/R 2-piece rotors.
That sure is exciting. Fortunately you'll have a new exhaust to enjoy, because once you put those 2-piece rotors on the car all you can really do is admire them. The benefits of having LW rotors are real, but under very specific conditions.

Not to burst your bubble too much, because it's going to be a great day for you. Looking forward to reading your OMG!! comments.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:03 AM
thescreensavers
Registered Member

Received 83 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
I'd recommend the Z1/Fi upgraded exhaust gaskets. The ones that come with the FI are like the ones I had to replace on the RX7 every 6 months.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...1797a07ab7c6ea
​​​​​​
I Had the opposite issue actually. If you ask Fast Intentions they tested various exhaust gaskets and the ones they include are the best.

​​​​​​I had the Z1 MLS gaskets in my car and in theory they should be the best but I didn't have a good experience with them.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:04 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I'd recommend the Z1/Fi upgraded exhaust gaskets.
I seem to remember getting different gaskets, too. So long ago, though... no wait, I did buy upgraded gaskets from FI at the time, it's right there in my records. Huh. Maybe back then gaskets didn't come with the kit, and you could either reuse existing gaskets, or buy new ones. I bought new ones.

You know what else I remember doing? I replaced most of the nut & bolt hardware with SS so that they didn't rust out.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:08 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I've had so many issues with the waffle-style gaskets, I just refuse if there is any viable alternative. Pure copper sheet if necessary. Having said that, the Z1 gaskets have been on my car for 3 years and they're not leaking.

So YMMV. On the other hand, the cat-catback gaskets are easy to get to on the car, so you could try the FI provided gaskets. The header-cat gaskets are a bit harder to get to though (if you're changing the cats out).
Old 05-24-2022, 10:10 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Originally Posted by thescreensavers
​​​​​​
I Had the opposite issue actually. If you ask Fast Intentions they tested various exhaust gaskets and the ones they include are the best.
Not to dis FI, but anytime a manufacturer says that I take it with a grain of salt. There's the issue with no flex joints and no transmission mount for the exhaust that they say is 'best' or 'there aren't any issues' when questioned about it.

Basically - I think FI engineers good stuff, but nothing's perfect, especially when money is involved.
The following users liked this post:
ILM-NC G37S (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 10:36 AM
thescreensavers
Registered Member

Received 83 Likes on 64 Posts
Not to dis FI, but anytime a manufacturer says that I take it with a grain of salt. There's the issue with no flex joints and no transmission mount for the exhaust that they say is 'best' or 'there aren't any issues' when questioned about it.

Basically - I think FI engineers good stuff, but nothing's perfect, especially when money is involved.
I totally agree, I did speak with their lead engineer and owner on the gasket topic because I had a failed HFC a week after install, they replaced it right away and they have great customer support. I have been good with the graphite type gaskets and at the end of the day what ever works!

​​​​​​ I do also think the lack of the transmission mount was a miss on their end and I'm working on a bolt on solution

​​​​I believe the Z1 gaskets could be improved and I was a bit annoyed that the metal ring around (containing the sheets) was as not clearing the flanges which imo is the source of many issues with that gasket.

They would have been better off tac welding the sheets together like almost all the OEM MLS gaskets are.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:41 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 1,035 Posts
...There's the issue with no flex joints and no transmission mount for the exhaust that they say is 'best' or 'there aren't any issues' when questioned about it.

This was my only "concern" when I bought the RHFC's from FI, no brace or mounting bracket. But, after 5 years and ≈11k miles with zero issues I'll digress.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:50 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Me too - but the only better exhaust was the Meisterschaft at $2000 + HFCs and it's got issues too. So I decided to live with FI, and they *do* have good customer service from what I've seen here. Not needed them myself - which is telling in and of itself. And... if needed, I have a welder for quick fixes and access to a TIG and proper stainless welding equipment for a proper fix. My only real worry is if the cat matrices separate internally - and that can happen with any of them.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:02 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
This was my only "concern" when I bought the RHFC's from FI, no brace or mounting bracket. But, after 5 years and ≈11k miles with zero issues I'll digress.

How it looked when my old mechanic came up with this solution. 7 years and 30k miles later, I suspect it looks nothing like that anymore, LOL.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:27 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

I've looked at those z1 gaskets and may consider trying them if the normal gaskets don't seem to seal well. Thanks for the tip!

It will definitely be a good day once the install is done of the exhaust + pads + rotors. I'm looking forward to the lightened steering/cornering feel of removing that rotating weight. Will hopefully make the somewhat heavy G feel more nimble. I'm also planning to weigh the car after that because I've done quite a few weight reduction mods. I'm hoping to get real close to breaking 3500-3550.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread