G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 08:07 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 337 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
Went out to my car after work and noticed a bit of paint chipping on my wiper arm. Poked it and a whole chunk of the outside layer came off, looks like it's rusting from the inside out. Poor car is getting rough.
In my area (salt belt) this is very common. If it bothers you, I'm sure you can find a good replacement from a scrap yard for a good price.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:42 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
I'm sure Canada heavily salts their roads too.

Try to find one on ebay or something from a southern US state... would be cheaper than new, even with shipping and duties.

If there were any in the pick-and-pull near me, I'd grab one for you, but right now there aren't. You *definitely* don't want one of these to snap in a hard rain.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:01 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 212 Posts
The car is actually from eastern Canada, Ontario, where they salt their roads a lot more heavily than here in Alberta. We use a ton more gravel though, which leads to cracked windshields and rock chips galore. I'll probably sand both of them back in the next month or two and see what I'm dealing with and then if needed grab a set from a junk yard here. Cars from this side of the country rust a lot less than Ontario and further east. Thanks for the offer Mike.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:16 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
You can already tell those are ruined, looks like those holes go right through? I'd grab a new set for sure.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:14 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Hope this was no one here: https://jalopnik.com/teen-gets-into-...ool-1847320967
Old 07-20-2021, 02:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
Man, that's some risky business.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:25 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts
Funny how it says driver reversed into the pool but the car is facing towards the picture and the fence behind it looks like was run over by the front end.

Prepare yourselves for the next thread: Car got a bit wet, I have ALL the lights on.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:54 AM
Marshed_Mallow
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone!
I just bought a 2012 g37 sedan with 134k miles on Saturday and just joined this forum. The car is mostly in great shape, but still need some OEM parts. I look forward to learning and meeting most of you
Old 07-21-2021, 01:36 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Hi! Why don't you tell us about your new whip in the Newbie forum? (that's the place for intro stories). Meanwhile... welcome aboard, there's a ton of good DIY info here.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:49 PM
BULL
Moderador

Dont ever buy a 4WAS car

Toe bolts are too short
Finding a full 4WAS rack is almost impossible without sacrificing a loved one(thank God I found the main body of the rack is the same)
Camber arms I bought are bottomed in currently at 1.5 neg of camber at max inwards
Then the rack was a bit off when I installed it the first time but was compensating with the tie rods (my mistake)
So tried to center the rack and now the steering angle sensor is off a needs to be adjusted
Take the steering wheel off but one of the airbag wires felt like it wanted to drag across the steering wheel and play a prank on me and there went the clock spring.

Had to drive twisted (dog tracking) a couple of days until i got it.

Finalized with a steering angle reset, drive 95% straight but will need another alignment since things could be better.

If I didnt have good friends who help with alignment issues I probably wouldn't have owned the car.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:23 AM
Rochester
Administrator

On the way home from driving my kid to work this morning, the "Cruise" text decided to go on in the middle of my dash, and the "Set" command next to it also came on blinking. None of the cruise buttons had any impact on it. I couldn't turn cruise on and I couldn't stop the damn "Set" text from blinking. When I got home, I stopped the car and restarted, and the problem was gone. Using the cruise controls, I even cycled through the EcuTek Maps (although there's only the two), without issue.

I wonder what that was? The only other electronic gremlin I've ever experienced with this car was was the LCD screen getting all twitchy, which is also something that also goes away after restarting the car. That happens maybe a half dozen times a year. But I've never experienced anything weird with the cruise controls before.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:18 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
On the way home from driving my kid to work this morning, the "Cruise" text decided to go on in the middle of my dash, and the "Set" command next to it also came on blinking. None of the cruise buttons had any impact on it. I couldn't turn cruise on and I couldn't stop the damn "Set" text from blinking. When I got home, I stopped the car and restarted, and the problem was gone. Using the cruise controls, I even cycled through the EcuTek Maps (although there's only the two), without issue.

I wonder what that was? The only other electronic gremlin I've ever experienced with this car was was the LCD screen getting all twitchy, which is also something that also goes away after restarting the car. That happens maybe a half dozen times a year. But I've never experienced anything weird with the cruise controls before.

The following users liked this post:
Rochester (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 10:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Cruise switches at the pedals... I will certainly remember this now, should it become a chronic problem.

Brilliant, Hexotic! Thank you.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:35 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 337 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
Good find!
However, "buttons"??? I didn't know my car had buttons
Old 08-02-2021, 11:12 AM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by Rochester

Well when I received my flashed ecm Cruise was disabled (have to enable the option) blinking = fault but unless it stores the code and you actually see whats there or replicate it there wont be a way of knowing.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread