G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 06:34 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
Opinions on this lip? It is a Autokits prototype lip that never went into production, from my understating, for the OEM G37 Sport bumper. After a little bit of digging around haven't been able to find any other examples of it online, making it rare with possibly just a few testers ever being produced.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:50 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts
Here is a side pic of the 370z front strut assembly on the sedan with G37 sport rear shock/springs. I think this is the true leveler.

The following 4 users liked this post by BULL:
2.2Lude (07-09-2021), deep0542 (07-12-2021), EcstaticG37XS (07-12-2021), Rochester (07-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 12:06 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
God damn that's a good photo. The lines and the shadows are so crisp. Wow.

Are those dings on the rear door and fender lip, or a trick of the light?
Old 07-10-2021, 11:24 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by 2.2Lude
Opinions on this lip? It is a Autokits prototype lip that never went into production, from my understating, for the OEM G37 Sport bumper. After a little bit of digging around haven't been able to find any other examples of it online, making it rare with possibly just a few testers ever being produced.
Nice lip, but it would probably look better attached with black or white tape. Seriously, it looks like a good fit. I wonder why they never produced it. I looked for years at different lips for this car and could never find one with the right lines.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:23 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 326 Likes on 250 Posts
That front lip looks just Ok. Dig the subtly of it, but the design is pretty generic, like a universal aftermarket part or something. I get that it was just a prototype, but nothing to me makes it look like it belongs specifically on the front of a G37 sport sedan.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:47 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 326 Likes on 250 Posts
Sidenote: with an in-service date of 4/3/2013, my car just rolled over 40,000 miles. But only 2 of its 8 years on the road has it been garaged (and 2 of those ungaraged years it’s been parked on city streets), so it’s looking a bit rough for it’s mileage. Once I get a private/indoor space lined up, I’ll be splurging for a high end detail service with paint correction (can’t wait, it’s been long overdue for the spa treatment).

So far, in 8 years and 40,000 miles, my only issue has been a noisy power steering pump, which my mechanic assures me is not a safety risk for now. Steering feels fine, but the pump lets out a loud whine whenever I’m steering, especially in parking garages or while parallel parking (when I tend to steer it at or close to locking positions). And I’ve also had issues with some aftermarket items failing (mostly LEDs), but can’t really complain too much there.

After some much needed TLC, my car should be back in great shape with plenty of life ahead. Sometimes I think about grabbing a newer sport sedan with a stick shift while they’re still sort of available in gently used condition, but then I fail to convince myself each time. And I bought the car after my first official promotion (just in title, looking back it wasn’t a big deal) as a junior engineer, so there’s some real personal value in it too. Looking back, those 8 years since buying my G have been very transformational for me, my life now drastically different from back then (I’m sure many folks now in there early 30s can say the same about the timeframe). So plenty of great memories baked into my car, and while I don’t consider myself very sentimental, it’d be tough to see them drive away.

Random photo with the Watergate Hotel hiding behind the trees (paint looks way better in photos than real life… opposite of me ):

The following 2 users liked this post by STownSaint:
Rochester (07-12-2021), Zack342 (07-14-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 07:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Good story. Some future owner will be getting a gem, for sure. Spa treatment, LOL

Last edited by Rochester; 07-12-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:45 PM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by Rochester
God damn that's a good photo. The lines and the shadows are so crisp. Wow.

Are those dings on the rear door and fender lip, or a trick of the light?
Dings Roch, like pebbles in a river. Even the roof has dings.
All camera tricks
Old 07-13-2021, 09:41 AM
BULL
Moderador

So I believe I found my water leak issue and it appears to be the glass.
I've done the sunroof mod a year ago, removed the steering lock fuse
Running a flashed ECM without NATS

Yesterday after weeks and weeks of rain I got a Yellow Key Light. Nothing wrong with the car at all and I suspect it's because of no steering lock and no NATS(RED security light)
The only time I saw this light was when I had a steering lock failure.
This leak only happens during monsoons which is why I haven't been stressing.
Old 07-13-2021, 02:47 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
You mean South Florida doesn't rain hard for about 30 minutes every day during the summer? Man, that's not the Florida I knew...
Old 07-13-2021, 08:08 PM
Xander69
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
Serpentine can be easy if you have the right tools.
Valve cover on the other hand can be tricky, since I started using Nissan RTV i've never had an issue of it failing on me. The issue with the valve covers is that most will take the time to clean all of the removable parts and this can take time along with anything that requires replacement. Proper planning will pay off when the time comes. Hex sockets, needle nose plies, brake cleaner, RTV, magnetic 10mm are some of the tools that will help tremendously on this. Lastly try to use OEM gaskets, they are worth it.

Let's break the ice, what are you familiar with?
Thank you! When I was growing up, my dad and I did almost all maintenance on our cars (brakes, oil, belts, cv joints, spark plugs, some suspension stuff) - pretty much anything short of timing belt/really intensive stuff. So I'm familiar with minor/moderate jobs, but have never been the project manager on most things. In my fraternity house in college I would change oil and do brakes for friends/friends of friends.

My biggest issue is I have to buy pretty much any tool needed to do most jobs. I don't have a jack/stands, specialty gear, or a garage/carport to leave stuff undone overnight. No big deal to buy a belt tensioner tool, but may be a little more difficult financially to do the valve cover gaskets.

I hope that wasn't over explained!
Old 07-14-2021, 05:37 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
ZSpeed flywheel and clutch review: https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...ml#post4298310
Old 07-14-2021, 08:17 AM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by Xander69
Thank you! When I was growing up, my dad and I did almost all maintenance on our cars (brakes, oil, belts, cv joints, spark plugs, some suspension stuff) - pretty much anything short of timing belt/really intensive stuff. So I'm familiar with minor/moderate jobs, but have never been the project manager on most things. In my fraternity house in college I would change oil and do brakes for friends/friends of friends.

My biggest issue is I have to buy pretty much any tool needed to do most jobs. I don't have a jack/stands, specialty gear, or a garage/carport to leave stuff undone overnight. No big deal to buy a belt tensioner tool, but may be a little more difficult financially to do the valve cover gaskets.

I hope that wasn't over explained!
It's not, I understand the struggle of not being able to have a roof over the car and a dedicated place, taking it to someone can hurt financially as well.
The best advise I can give you is to stay connected in any type of car community and just dont be an idiot once you're in that community.
Plenty of free advice in these places, just have to ask nicely and take suggestions as well. I rather throw quarters in the fountain of a mall than in a well.

P.S. unsure if you dad is able to help but pretty sure the man has a long list of how to's that could save you a **** ton of time.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:36 PM
Xander69
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
It's not, I understand the struggle of not being able to have a roof over the car and a dedicated place, taking it to someone can hurt financially as well.
The best advise I can give you is to stay connected in any type of car community and just dont be an idiot once you're in that community.
Plenty of free advice in these places, just have to ask nicely and take suggestions as well. I rather throw quarters in the fountain of a mall than in a well.

P.S. unsure if you dad is able to help but pretty sure the man has a long list of how to's that could save you a **** ton of time.
Love that saying of the well/mall, I'm putting that in my back pocket for sure.

Your comment jogged my memory I have some connections in the drift community around here who can probably help me, along with a friend of a friend who works at a shop, thanks again!
Old 07-14-2021, 11:33 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 212 Posts
Went out to my car after work and noticed a bit of paint chipping on my wiper arm. Poked it and a whole chunk of the outside layer came off, looks like it's rusting from the inside out. Poor car is getting rough.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread