G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 02:26 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Just curious, how often do you guys get free 3 month offers from Sirius/XM after taking your car into Infiniti/Nissan service? I seem to get one every time a repair order is opened up on my car, which is not very often since I usually do all my own work. Is this common?
Every six (6) months when I take my Coupe to Nissan to get the oil changed, less than a week later I get the XM offer in the mail AND the typical sales pitch call of them (dealer) wanting to buy my car, blah, blah, blah...

So, yeah, standard practice. I guess the VIN triggers something in their system.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:39 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
Have been contemplating many ways on tackling the intakes on this car. I'm a firm believer in the oem style and believe it has tons of potential.
It will eventually use Q50 boxes that I will have fresh directed air from the intake channeling holes that will be enlarged.
Yesterday I started the process with the grill.
If you pay attention to the intakes in the market they tend to move the filters in the front of the grill to take full advantage from the incoming air. The factory system kind of does this already but indirectly to help with debris I believe.
The factory air channeling hole is 90% of the times enlarged for bigger piping so I will adapt that practice however focus on enlarging this area to force ALL of the air into the boxes and have the boxes do their thing.

It looks really good. Once It looks acceptable for me I'll post more pictures.
If all goes well I'll consider making plates that will act just like the bigmouth ram air for the Q50

Maybe I am looking at your picture wrong, but aren't the plastic dividers just going to keep 3/5's of the air away from your intakes?

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Every six (6) months when I take my Coupe to Nissan to get the oil changed, less than a week later I get the XM offer in the mail AND the typical sales pitch call of them (dealer) wanting to buy my car, blah, blah, blah...

So, yeah, standard practice. I guess the VIN triggers something in their system.
Ok, so they will do this offer at least every 6 months. Are you guys seeing the same thing at an Infiniti store? Just curious as I could easily have my service department run an R.O. on my car if I felt the need for free satellite radio. Not sure I would actually go to the trouble though. Sirius/XM is ok.

Yes, dealerships definitely need used car inventory right now. The dealers that stayed open while most auctions were closed really depleted the used car inventory. When I looked at Autotrader last week it looks like they are shy by about a whopping 25% or about 1 million cars compared to pre-covid-19 levels. This also means values are surprisingly high for trade-ins if you have been thinking about selling your car. I had a guy on Monday buyout his Titan lease because the trade-in value was significantly higher than the residual value. (This usually does not happen on a lease, and especially not on a Titan that typically has a terrible residual value.)
Old 07-24-2020, 02:40 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
I'd like to ask folks' opinion.

I'm going to install some sort of track-mode switch in the car, most likely in the left-of-steering-wheel washi trim panel. Right now, that would just be a switch interrupting power to the yaw sensor (traction control delete). But in the future I would like that to switch my (either VLine or Raspberry Pi, elsewhere on this site) headunit display to Torque, perhaps activate track specific lighting, maybe change maps for the engine if I can get it to talk to canbus.

First I was debating switch style. I have aircraft engine start switches (illuminated pushbutton with electronic latch), milspec toggle with or without red guard cover, locking milspec (pull handle out 1/8", move, release) or illuminated pushbutton from amazon/aliexpress

Now I'm considering using a single board computer (maybe simplest Pi or Arduino) to handle switching all the things in an expandable way.

Groupthink?
Old 07-24-2020, 03:36 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Well here is my switch panel, it only has two so I might change it up to have room for some more. It's 3D printed to replace the ash tray thing. Don't even have to drill any holes since the wires can pass through the hole at the bottom.

You could use an arduino to do multiple functions per one button. Long press, tripple press, double press etc. shouldn't be hard.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:28 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
I'd like to ask folks' opinion.

I'm going to install some sort of track-mode switch in the car, most likely in the left-of-steering-wheel washi trim panel. Right now, that would just be a switch interrupting power to the yaw sensor (traction control delete). But in the future I would like that to switch my (either VLine or Raspberry Pi, elsewhere on this site) headunit display to Torque, perhaps activate track specific lighting, maybe change maps for the engine if I can get it to talk to canbus.

First I was debating switch style. I have aircraft engine start switches (illuminated pushbutton with electronic latch), milspec toggle with or without red guard cover, locking milspec (pull handle out 1/8", move, release) or illuminated pushbutton from amazon/aliexpress

Now I'm considering using a single board computer (maybe simplest Pi or Arduino) to handle switching all the things in an expandable way.

Groupthink?
My initial thought is that sounds like a lot of work for what will probably just end up changing the car's performance the same way as hitting the traction control off button. Even if it could change the engine mapping, wouldn't you want it in the performance mode all of the time? (Maybe it's just me) It's a neat idea, but I'm not sure what you will gain from seeing a torque display or changing the lighting unless you do track days at night. Maybe I am missing something? I know I have been trying to think of new projects for the car and coming up empty too.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:11 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

^ Well but the traction off is not fully off, that's the point of the yaw sensor bypass.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:02 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

"Torque" the gauge app, not a display of output torque.

iCrap is right, the traction control is not fully off when you press the button. Play with it in a wet parking lot and you'll see what I mean.

For the track, I'd actually run a little rich all through the map to keep it cooler, especially at higher RPM. I wouldn't want it to get 5MPG on the street, so yeah, different map.

Lighting was a random thought, I'll admit.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:23 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 337 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
^ Well but the traction off is not fully off, that's the point of the yaw sensor bypass.
I keep reading about folks disabling the Yaw sensor to turn off traction control...

I wonder if the VDC "off" is different between the AWD and the RWD???
Based on this video, the 6 sped manual G37's traction control is absolutely off, when VDC is off: (jump to 1:30)
Old 07-26-2020, 01:50 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Well, its weird because it only seems to intervene sometimes. I have a feeling it might be speed based. I've felt it come in while driving in the rain with TC off, but then last winter I was drifting around (very low speeds) in the snow with TC off and it didn't do anything. But yeah from that video it does seem totally off, but then that also looks lowish speed.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:14 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Well, its weird because it only seems to intervene sometimes. I have a feeling it might be speed based. I've felt it come in while driving in the rain with TC off, but then last winter I was drifting around (very low speeds) in the snow with TC off and it didn't do anything. But yeah from that video it does seem totally off, but then that also looks lowish speed.
When it kicks in, what happens? Does the throttle close, or VDC flash, or something else?
Old 07-26-2020, 07:18 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

When it kicks in, what happens? Does the throttle close, VDC flash, or something else?
Old 07-26-2020, 10:14 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

When I've experienced it (wet parking lot/skidpad, getting a little aggro around longer passes) it cuts power. Like a fuel or spark cut. With yaw sensor unplugged, did not do that.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:50 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
When I've experienced it (wet parking lot/skidpad, getting a little aggro around longer passes) it cuts power. Like a fuel or spark cut. With yaw sensor unplugged, did not do that.
I am 99% sure that the ECU closes the throttle. OBD data logging could verify that, if it matters.

Maybe the VDC function changed in the newer G37? (like VW, you know... "safer" and it can't be turned fully off)
I know the 2012+ ECU ROMs have a very different structure than the 2011 and older ones.

Silly question time:
(1) Was the gas tank around 1/2 or less
(2) What direction was the skid pad. (fuel pump in on the right side of the tank, so left turns are good with low fuel)
Old 07-26-2020, 04:59 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I don't recall gas, but it was at least over 1/4. Skidpad was large industrial parking lot during/after hurricane, so both directions were used. I have a (singular) traffic cone I bought to practice tight autocross-style turn in.

It wasn't fuel cut like a starvation issue - I've had that in cars before. It was a 'soft' cut - just like you're losing power a bit or even that the clutch was slipping, although I've ruled that one out. Didn't have an OBD2 logger at the time, you're right that would have helped. :hmm:
Old 07-26-2020, 07:29 PM
Xander69
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Just bought a G37S with a 6 speed! 107,000 miles, black on black, brand new clutch, flywheel, and front tires. Looking forward to contributing (and asking a lot of questions)!
The following 4 users liked this post by Xander69:
4DRZ (07-26-2020), BULL (08-13-2020), Lynn49 (07-30-2020), rotarymike (07-28-2020)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread