G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 01:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Anyone remember Diego from Vossen? I was following an email blast on one of their new wheels, a chat window popped up with his name. We chatted for a while... really nice guy.

Seems he's driving a killer 2019 GT-R, black on black. It's on Vossen's website. Dam-m-m-m-n, that's a lot of car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTQt...ture=emb_title
Sorry to have to pull rank on you John, but this is the Sedan chat thread so if you could get back to talking about Skylines with 4 doors (like our G37s), that would be great. (Nice GT-R by the way)
Old 01-28-2020, 01:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
I kind of look at this as a chat thread for people who typically hang out in the Sedan forum.

However, to your point... more people in the Coupe forum probably remember Diego.

Personally, I think the body kit is a bit much, but it's a GT-R, so it can be whatever it wants to be.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:32 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I kind of look at this as a chat thread for people who typically hang out in the Sedan forum.

However, to your point... more people in the Coupe forum probably remember Diego.

Personally, I think the body kit is a bit much, but it's a GT-R, so it can be whatever it wants to be.
It was a joke, hence the stupid emoji. What body kit? That's how the GT-R comes stock.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
What body kit? That's how the GT-R comes stock.
Really? I don't like all that cladding, and just assumed it was aftermarket. My R35 lore is weak.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:06 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Really? I don't like all that cladding, and just assumed it was aftermarket. My R35 lore is weak.
Have you seen the Nismo version yet? It is really gaudy.

I think I could live with a red Track edition with the carbon ceramic brakes though. Not too shabby.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Have you seen the Nismo version yet? It is really gaudy.
Eww. Well now I just don't feel ignorant, I'm feeling sad.

I just want winter to end. I want my wheels back on the car, with the new brakes, Crappy, wet, snowy, salty day... blech.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Eww. Well now I just don't feel ignorant, I'm feeling sad.

I just want winter to end. I want my wheels back on the car, with the new brakes, Crappy, wet, snowy, salty day... blech.
It's ok Rochester. Take a few deep breaths and think spring.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:55 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
That's why I moved south. I got tired of needing AWD just to get out of the apartment parking lot, and spending lots of time in my FB3S sliding backwards.

I could be happy with a GTR. Kiddo is old enough now to climb over a seat. But the $$$ and the sedan I have draws less attention.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:15 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by rotarymike
I could be happy with a GTR.
I could be very happy with the GTR, too. It speaks directly to what makes me happy... personal, but big without being huge, while being super fast and handling on rails. I could be extremely happy owning a GTR. But the entry price means getting one that's very used, and the regular cost of ownership would make me pass out in worry. It's just not realistic for me, and never will be.
The following users liked this post:
rotarymike (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 01:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

It's ok Rochester. Take a few deep breaths and think spring.
This morning I pulled my Z1 two-piece rotors out of their boxes and set them around my office so I can look at them. (sigh)
Old 01-29-2020, 01:47 PM
CubanDre
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Not to derail from the GTR discussion. Fantastic car. I'd like to see that Skyline 400R make it to the states. 4 door GTR? Count me in! Here are my thoughts. I got my G37S so I could haul my kid around in it. Most of the time when I drive it I take my time and I don't want anything to happen. I work from home so when I do drive its to the gas station 8 minutes away, the supermarket 2 minutes away. Ive got bunches of spots to eat within 10 minutes. My parents are 15 mins away. Soccer practice is 10 mins away. But yesterday and today I had an opportunity to hoon the car, I had to drive downtown for some errands.

And wow!! I was impressed especially on fully open overpass runs and industrial complex runs. This car handles like a dream, its pretty much track ready. I mean, all of this happened in Mexico... but its definitely something that should be done at a track. One day I'll take it to the track. My 911 does exclusive track duty with the occasional weekend drive with my wife. The G37 is no 911, but its the damn best sports sedan Ive driven, and right where I would want a sports sedan to be. Ive driven many sport sedans in my time. Most feel muted. The body roll is ridiculous. A BMW will clap back at you if you aren't careful. An Audi just feels heavy, like you are driving a tank at times.

TLDR; The sedan is a great all around car to be had in a stock G37S. Should tick the boxes for everything. I'm really looking forward to going through with some suspension mods and really get the car dialed in.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 02:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

That was a really good read, CubanDre. And it reminds me how great the car is that I already have.

There are moments when the handling capabilities of my car surprise me. I mean... it's lowered about 1.5" because of lowering springs and the Tein CO's in the rear. But on top of that, the engine itself is lowered another 1/2" because of solid poly engine mounts. With the weight re-distrubution, there's also thicker sway bars, upper bracing, lower bracing, a poly transmission mount, poly bushings on the diff and added bracing on the diff. And really wide summer tires. And in a few months, lightweight rotors.

All in all, this humble little sedan sticks to the pavement like few cars in its class should. It's far more car than is necessary to pick up my kid from high school a few times a week, but whatever.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-29-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:08 PM
CubanDre
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
All in all, this humble little sedan sticks to the pavement like few cars in its class should. It's far more car than is necessary to pick up my kid from high school a few times a week, but whatever.
This right here. This is what I kept thinking over and over, and I'm stock. Track ready is almost an understatement. With the mods you have and some meaty/sticky tires. A good time will be had when you want to get some elbow room. I see that "what would you replace the G37 with" thread. I've driven all of those potential replacements, the sedans at least. What is essentially a car that hasn't seen changes since 2009 outside of exterior and nav/bluetooth. An 11 year old car, in my eyes, beats the competition.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:45 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
The 400R is literally just a red sport with a different front bumper, no?
Old 01-29-2020, 09:30 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

This morning I pulled my Z1 two-piece rotors out of their boxes and set them around my office so I can look at them. (sigh)

Originally Posted by CubanDre
And wow!! I was impressed especially on fully open overpass runs and industrial complex runs. This car handles like a dream, its pretty much track ready. I mean, all of this happened in Mexico... but its definitely something that should be done at a track. One day I'll take it to the track. My 911 does exclusive track duty with the occasional weekend drive with my wife. The G37 is no 911, but its the damn best sports sedan Ive driven, and right where I would want a sports sedan to be. Ive driven many sport sedans in my time. Most feel muted. The body roll is ridiculous. A BMW will clap back at you if you aren't careful. An Audi just feels heavy, like you are driving a tank at times.

TLDR; The sedan is a great all around car to be had in a stock G37S. Should tick the boxes for everything. I'm really looking forward to going through with some suspension mods and really get the car dialed in.
You are right, the RWD G37S sedan really does handle well and the steering is very good. Most of that has to do with the fact that it has the same chassis and suspension as the 370Z which was really designed to handle. Another benefit of being linked to the 370Z is that a lot of performance parts exist for this car that probably normally would not. The car responds well to smart improvements in suspension and tires.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread