G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOSTER33
So you're telling us that our Parking brake does not use the any type of force from the calipers to the rotors to keep the car from rolling away?
No, Zoster. You're paraphrasing my comment inaccurately. And no worries, man.

Take the rear wheel off, or get the car on a lift, and look at the parking brake. You'll see little calipers expanding in the concave area on the back side of the rear rotors. The principle is very much like a drum brake, but itty bitty things, with only enough grunt to park the car. At least, that's what it's like on the RWD Sport. Could be different on the non-Sport... IDK.

Tell you what, get going on the highway at 55 mph, then wail on your parking brake and tell me what happens. But keep your expectations low.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-03-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:19 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

Take the rear wheel off, or get the car on a lift, and look at the parking brake. You'll see little calipers expanding in the concave area on the back side of the rear rotors. The principle is very much like a drum brake, but itty bitty things, with only enough grunt to park the car. At least, that's what it's like on the RWD Sport. Could be different on the non-Sport... IDK.

Tell you what, get going on the highway at 55 mph, then wail on your parking brake and tell me what happens. But keep your expectations low.
Sorry Rochester LOL I wasn't aware that the car industry or Nissan had done that to their cars. So we have no emergency brake anymore...great hopefully the throttle doesn't get stuck on us like they did on the Lexus a few years back because then we are screwed.

Thanks for the quick lesson in Parking brake 101
Old 02-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Sorry Rochester LOL I wasn't aware that the car industry or Nissan had done that to their cars. So we have no emergency brake anymore...great hopefully the throttle doesn't get stuck on us like they did on the Lexus a few years back because then we are screwed.
It was a shock to me, too, man. I don't like it. Not one bit.

Having a hand-brake lever to my right should mean that I can actually use it, like Jim Rockford intended. But you can't... it's pointless. All show.

It's one of my more significant gripes with the car. A lesser one would be the lack of a heated steering wheel. (Far lesser, LOL) Oh, and the way the passenger seat belt doesn't nicely tuck between the seat and the B-pillar after someone uses it. That really annoys me, too. And the way dirt collects at the rear bumper just under the trunk... hate that. And sometimes how the car boots up without a functioning radio; (rare, but it happens.)
Old 02-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts

I think I have tried that and not much has happened lol ; D
Old 02-03-2014, 01:42 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Well I think the manual G37's do have an actual e-brake?

I can do without the heated steering wheel since it doesn't get cold here but since it snows were you live it would be a great feature to have. I feel you on the passenger seat belt complaint. I hate it! I'm always reaching over and tucking it after I drop off the kids at school in the morning.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Well I think the manual G37's do have an actual e-brake?
Uh, no. I have a 6MT. The hand lever is just for show, and operates the parking brake only. If I want to make a Rockford turn, I have to do it with the throttle and oversteer. Not that I do that on any regular basis... kind of dangerous.

I feel you on the passenger seat belt complaint. I hate it! I'm always reaching over and tucking it after I drop off the kids at school in the morning.
YES!!!

Nice to know I'm not the only one who gripes about that. Kind of funny now that we're talking about it.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:56 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Uh, no. I have a 6MT. The hand lever is just for show, and operates the parking brake only. If I want to make a Rockford turn, I have to do it with the throttle and oversteer. Not that I do that on any regular basis... kind of dangerous.

YES!!!

Nice to know I'm not the only one who gripes about that. Kind of funny now that we're talking about it.
Wow what the heck then. Does any newer model car have a real e-brake anymore?

My other complaint would be how slow the seat heater works!

My Audi A6 and the wife old Cadi Catera had incredible seat heaters and the Cadi even had rear seat heaters which our G's do not have.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:59 PM
teknolust72
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes 6mt G's have a proper e-brake/hand brake. Nissan has equipped the same e-brake drum setup to the 300ZX, and R32/R33/R34 GTR's and it works perfectly fine. For my 6mt sedan, once tension was adjusted, the hand brake worked great and I could easily use it for drift control. You could also buy performance drum shoes from Project Mu (and other various companies) if you need more locking performance
Old 02-03-2014, 02:02 PM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
It was a shock to me, too, man. I don't like it. Not one bit.

Having a hand-brake lever to my right should mean that I can actually use it, like Jim Rockford intended. But you can't... it's pointless. All show.

It's one of my more significant gripes with the car. A lesser one would be the lack of a heated steering wheel. (Far lesser, LOL) Oh, and the way the passenger seat belt doesn't nicely tuck between the seat and the B-pillar after someone uses it. That really annoys me, too. And the way dirt collects at the rear bumper just under the trunk... hate that. And sometimes how the car boots up without a functioning radio; (rare, but it happens.)

This makes me want to punch infants.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

My Audi A6 and the wife old Cadi Catera had incredible seat heaters and the Cadi even had rear seat heaters which our G's do not have.
Ah, the Caddy that zigs! Car got a bad rep, but I rather liked it. That, and the Alante drop-top.

Originally Posted by teknolust72
Yes 6mt G's have a proper e-brake/hand brake. Nissan has equipped the same e-brake drum setup to the 300ZX, and R32/R33/R34 GTR's and it works perfectly fine. For my 6mt sedan, once tension was adjusted, the hand brake worked great and I could easily use it for drift control. You could also buy performance drum shoes from Project Mu (and other various companies) if you need more locking performance
That's not at all what I've experienced with my 6MT. And it's not what my INFINITI Service tech told me, either, when I had the parking brakes serviced last year. You know, I'm not so proud as to avoid learning something here, but I'm highly skeptical that you can use this parking brake system to drift. I certainly can't use it that way. Way too weak, and not what those little pads are designed for... or so I was told.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-03-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:49 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Front passanger brake caliper locked up on my F150 this weekend. Replacing both front rotors and calipers with a larger setup, and while I am at it going to flush out brake lines and change the brake fluid. Shop says $1100... I say DIY for $650.... No real issue all in all. Big tires= more momentum= no accident from caliper locking up. Completely baked the Right rotor. It looks like black marble now. LOL
Old 02-03-2014, 05:07 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Has anyone had any problems with the front chin getting damaged o due to half a$$ed plowing jobs? I really want to get a front chin but being lowered I've been picking up the slack from the plows...
Old 02-03-2014, 05:13 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 752 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by '11G37S
Has anyone had any problems with the front chin getting damaged o due to half a$$ed plowing jobs? I really want to get a front chin but being lowered I've been picking up the slack from the plows...
If you have the lower grille open like I think you do, are you just shoving snow directly into your engine bay and on top of your splash guard? I'd be careful, the alternator is pretty low in these cars.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 PM
clvnsu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,

anyone know the steps for a 2011 g37x sedan bumper conversion into g37 sport sedan bumper with lip?

Thanks,
Calvin
Old 02-03-2014, 06:13 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 752 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by clvnsu
Hi guys, anyone know the steps for a 2011 g37x sedan bumper conversion into g37 sport sedan bumper with lip? Thanks, Calvin
Yes we do.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread