G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 02:26 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
Anybody rocking 35 rear bumpers on their 37's. I really dislike the lower area of the 37, looks good painted on some cars but I feel like not as good as the 35 lower area.

Outside of having to drill proximity sensors looks like a direct fit.
I actually went the other way and put a 2010+ G37 rear bumper on my 2008. Although I had my G37 sedan rear bumper plastic welded with a G37 coupe bumper to get the extra width needed for my wider rear fenders.

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Probably rolled them with a wooden bat. That is what everyone used on their race cars - jack car up, insert bat, lower car, roll bat back and forth to widen fenders and roll the lip. Could look OK if done carefully by someone who gave a crap.

Eastwood I think makes a version with a nylon roller setup, but I've heard it tends to slip on painted metal so it creates waviness like you describe.
I have an Eastwood fender roller and it actually works really well. I've never had any waviness with it, but you do have to work very slowly. It also helps to use a heat gun to heat up the fender as your rolling them. This helps allow the paint to stretch with the metal and helps to prevent cracking and waviness.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:39 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Been a few days. I put the Subby back up on ramps and sure enough, there's oil on the pan and the plastics. It's leaking. Also feels like the oil level on the dipstick has gone down, but I'm not 100% on that.

Anyway... I have to change it again. Bought a bag of crush washers.

Screwing up a simple oil change really blows a hole in the rationale... time savings? Nope. Cost savings? Nope. Confidence you did it right? Nope.
Sorry to hear your gonna have to do it again, John... That does suck, but better to be safe than sorry. If it makes you feel any better, my wife took our Ram 2500 with the 6.7L Cummins to our local Jiffy Lube a few months ago and they forgot the seal for the oil filter. Of course she didn't notice the trail of oil behind her as she drove home, so by the time she made it home the truck had dumped most its oil and then the rest flooded out in our driveway as she pulled in. Thankfully the truck seems to be running fine even several thousand miles later. But Jiffy Lube is still paying for an extended warranty on the truck amongst other things.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:14 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 508 Likes on 437 Posts
Been a few days. I put the Subby back up on ramps and sure enough, there's oil on the pan and the plastics. It's leaking. Also feels like the oil level on the dipstick has gone down, but I'm not 100% on that.

Anyway... I have to change it again. Bought a bag of crush washers.

Screwing up a simple oil change really blows a hole in the rationale... time savings? Nope. Cost savings? Nope. Confidence you did it right? Nope.
Color me shocked. Sorry, that sucks. But, it sounds like you have a near lifetime supply of crush washers for the Subie, so I doubt it will happen again
Old 09-19-2019, 08:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
I've been using Penzoil Ultra Synthetic in all my cars for a number of years now. And I buy it at the local Walmart, with pricing averaging $25 for the 5-quart container. And for filters, I've been using the K&N Filters with the built-in 1" nut molded into the end of the casing, because it makes it so-o-o much easier to remove. I buy the filters through Amazon throughout the year.

Anyway, I noticed when buying oil there are a few brands on the Walmart shelf that I've never heard of before, with prices around $12 for the 5-quart container. I'm not planning on switching, but it was a curious thing to see synthetic oil so inexpensive.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:59 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts
I've been using Penzoil Ultra Synthetic in all my cars for a number of years now. And I buy it at the local Walmart, with pricing averaging $25 for the 5-quart container. And for filters, I've been using the K&N Filters with the built-in 1" nut molded into the end of the casing, because it makes it so-o-o much easier to remove. I buy the filters through Amazon throughout the year.

Anyway, I noticed when buying oil there are a few brands on the Walmart shelf that I've never heard of before, with prices around $12 for the 5-quart container. I'm not planning on switching, but it was a curious thing to see synthetic oil so inexpensive.
You probably noticed Rotella in that line up. Ive had great success with rotella in the past but on some vehicles only. The Nissan's I've tried running rotella seem to run a few PSI less of oil and this cause me to part ways with it. Cheapest synthetic you can get it works great for some cars but not for Nissan.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:35 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 837 Likes on 716 Posts
Rotella is a Royal Dutch Shell brand.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

It was some brand called SuperTech, on sale for $12, if I recall correctly.

I mean, it's probably crap, and I won't buy it, but still... $12 for 5.1 quarts of synthetic oil is a ridiculously low price.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:17 PM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
It was some brand called SuperTech, on sale for $12, if I recall correctly.

I mean, it's probably crap, and I won't buy it, but still... $12 for 5.1 quarts of synthetic oil is a ridiculously low price.
That's the Walmart house brand. I just bought a bunch of their AT fluid for the Grand Cherokee that is my new winter beater. Would never put it in a vehicle I care about.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-20-2019 at 01:19 PM. Reason: quote tag fix
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 01:54 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 837 Likes on 716 Posts
Y'all might want to check Engineering Explained Youtube channel. I want to say he or his commenters have mentioned SuperTech.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:44 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
So when my 07 Mazda 3 needed ATF, my choices of fluid rated Type M were Mazda oem and SuperTech. OEM was $20/quart and they needed to order it. Supertech was $25/gallon and the local WM had it on hand... put another 40k miles on it afterwards and did not notice any difference, and I checked the fluids monthly.

Having said that, my cars that I give a hoot about get Redline, castrol or mobile 1 depending on specific fluid.

G37 content - enjoying having (some) of my interior back in along with the attendant quietness. Before dropping the carpet back in I put herculiner over all the exposed floor pan metal. Not sure if it helped anything but giving me a toxic buzz, but I *feel* like the car is quieter now.

Also, I have a small piece of styrofoam, about 2" square and 1" thick, that I'm not sure where it goes. Was there a styrofoam block under the accelerator?
Old 09-25-2019, 10:37 PM
Hiowatha88
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been looking for a 2013 G37x with around 50k miles at a decent price for MONTHS now. Seem to be few and far between in my area. Almost pulled the trigger last week, but the dealer was charging insane fees (like $400 to fill up the tires with Nitrogen... what?) so I passed on it.

Today, after months of searching, I decided to just cave and am having one shipped out via CarMax. Its a 2013 with 58k miles and is $15.5k. Not the best, but not the worst. So excited to finally have a G.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:50 PM
Mojo_Dp
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiowatha88
I've been looking for a 2013 G37x with around 50k miles at a decent price for MONTHS now. Seem to be few and far between in my area. Almost pulled the trigger last week, but the dealer was charging insane fees (like $400 to fill up the tires with Nitrogen... what?) so I passed on it.

Today, after months of searching, I decided to just cave and am having one shipped out via CarMax. Its a 2013 with 58k miles and is $15.5k. Not the best, but not the worst. So excited to finally have a G.
That’s probably a tad bit to much IMO. But of course your area can affect how much cars sell for.I paid $13000 Canadian for my 2011 xs with 123xxx km
Old 09-25-2019, 10:55 PM
Hiowatha88
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo_Dp
That’s probably a tad bit to much IMO. But of course your area can affect how much cars sell for.I paid $13000 Canadian for my 2011 xs with 123xxx km
Yea, unfortunately it is a tad much, but not as high as a markup as I would have expected from a CarMax. Also I've been searching for months so I don't mind paying a little more. For my area, its only about $800 more than the typical listing price. Plus the two other G37s I was looking at would have actually been way more than this, and the dealerships were not open to haggling AT ALL. I'm in CO and it's been really hard to find a 2012-2013 for some reason and when they do pop up there are gone quick. Might be why the dealerships wouldn't budge on price.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Seasonal right of passage... TPMS went off today because temps were around 50°F and tires were all between 25 - 28 PSI.

Just a reminder that winter wheels and snow tires are right around the corner.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:45 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
I could seriously use some 50* days. Driving around mid-day today the car thermometer said 95; DarkSkies says 88 feels like 95. Usually Halloween here is a high 80-s low 90s event.

/On the other hand the costumes in the college areas tend to be more entertaining.
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (10-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread