G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 08:42 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
Probably rolled them with a wooden bat. That is what everyone used on their race cars - jack car up, insert bat, lower car, roll bat back and forth to widen fenders and roll the lip. Could look OK if done carefully by someone who gave a crap.

Eastwood I think makes a version with a nylon roller setup, but I've heard it tends to slip on painted metal so it creates waviness like you describe.
A group I used to race with had one of the Eastwood rollers that they would rent out. It worked really well. I used it to fit 245's on my WRX and 275's on my STI. I think both cars just needed the rear fenders to be rolled. I thought I was going to have to do the same thing on the back fenders of my G37 sedan to fit the 275's, but fortunately the insides of the fender lip are already rolled flat just like the 370Z.

The fronts are angled up away from the wheels and I never had an issue with rubbing. The only issue I ever had was with the front fender liners on a local track that has a mini corkscrew that would radically compress your front suspension. I think I raised my car 1/4-1/2" and never had the issue again. It was just that track and it would compress the suspension so bad on my Evo that the front bumper would scrape.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:09 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
I have that fender roller thing that bolts to the hub and has a big nylon roller. Worked well on my S2000. But it is kind of a pain, If i had to roll fenders again i might just take it to a pro.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:19 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 234 Likes on 163 Posts
Real men cut their fenders .... and eventually take them to a shop to make them look right .
Old 09-14-2019, 08:59 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Changed the oil in my wife's Subby this morning. Realized just now that I forgot to use the washer on the drain plug.

I'm not going to change it again, or reuse the new oil from a dirty pan. So I'm forced to get underneath every few weeks and check for leaks. Until the next OCI, which will probably be in February.

I feel like an idiot.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:54 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
Real men cut their fenders .... and eventually take them to a shop to make them look right .
Yeah I'm gonna not do that lol
Old 09-14-2019, 08:05 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 508 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Changed the oil in my wife's Subby this morning. Realized just now that I forgot to use the washer on the drain plug.

I'm not going to change it again, or reuse the new oil from a dirty pan. So I'm forced to get underneath every few weeks and check for leaks. Until the next OCI, which will probably be in February.

I feel like an idiot.
I think you’ll be fine. The vast majority of people probably use jiffy lube type places and are lucky if the reuse the old crush washer.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:11 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts

I feel like an idiot.
Ha. It's ok john, Just nice to hear you doing some work on your cars instead of having a shop do it.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
Ha. It's ok john, Just nice to hear you doing some work on your cars instead of having a shop do it.
Well, I don't do much. But I do change the oil annually, and swap wheels twice a year.

Was changing my oil as a kid after my father showed me how. Over the years, new car purchases had me going to the dealership. But that stopped after discovering that "lifetime" oil changes only really meant "lifetime" if you also buy into their regularly expensive service plans.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:15 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Well, I don't do much. But I do change the oil annually, and swap wheels twice a year.

Was changing my oil as a kid after my father showed me how. Over the years, new car purchases had me going to the dealership. But that stopped after discovering that "lifetime" oil changes only really meant "lifetime" if you also buy into their regularly expensive service plans.
I know what you mean. Just bought the wife a new qx60 and they wanted $75 a month for maintenance that didn't even cover a trans service. Way too much $$ for things i can do myself.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:37 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
We still take my wife's car to the Mazda dealer for oil changes, mostly because Castrol keeps sending us coupons for $30 full-synthetic oil change at the dealer. I can't actually buy the stuff to do one at that price. But we got suspicious about them 'rotating the tires' as stated in the invoices, so we chalked each tire with different colors and discovered they weren't doing them at all.

Had a chat with service manager, now I think they're doing them... for other folks. We do our own now.

In theory I do everything for the Infiniti as it's used, but time is not highly available to me much anymore. Otherwise i can do pretty much anything that doesn't absolutely need a lift.

John - for the Subie, just check the dipstick. If the leak is so slow that it doesn't appreciably lose oil, it's not a leak to worry about. Also, you're WAY more likely to get valve cover oil leaks on the boxer than the pan plug.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:22 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts
Anybody rocking 35 rear bumpers on their 37's. I really dislike the lower area of the 37, looks good painted on some cars but I feel like not as good as the 35 lower area.

Outside of having to drill proximity sensors looks like a direct fit.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:27 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts

The shorter sharper angled ending in a downward position looks far better than the raised lip in the 37 in my opinion.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:50 AM
Rochester
Administrator

LOL, that's an old pic of my car on the right. Really old, like 7 years ago. Too funny.

I prefer the 07-09 rear bumper, vs. the wrap-around design they introduced in 2010. But I like the revised spoiler better than the previous one. Too many sight lines between the chrome trim, the gap, the 3rd brake light and the spoiler itself. Just too many things going on.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:08 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
Anybody rocking 35 rear bumpers on their 37's. I really dislike the lower area of the 37, looks good painted on some cars but I feel like not as good as the 35 lower area.

Outside of having to drill proximity sensors looks like a direct fit.
Deep0542 started the process earlier this year check out his thread here https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-progress.html I'm not sure if he finished it though
Old 09-18-2019, 02:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I think you’ll be fine. The vast majority of people probably use jiffy lube type places and are lucky if the reuse the old crush washer.
Been a few days. I put the Subby back up on ramps and sure enough, there's oil on the pan and the plastics. It's leaking. Also feels like the oil level on the dipstick has gone down, but I'm not 100% on that.

Anyway... I have to change it again. Bought a bag of crush washers.

Screwing up a simple oil change really blows a hole in the rationale... time savings? Nope. Cost savings? Nope. Confidence you did it right? Nope.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread