G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 01:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
So how do I make this quote my signature line? It is apropos. lol.

Detailed and rambling describes my job duties and ADD effects pretty well. Unfortunately, I'm smart enough to realize that occasionally I think I know something but in reality I'm full of shi fen. Life would be happier if I actually believed what I was saying was fully true all the time. It is one of the reasons I like fast cars - specifically track driving. The purity of speed provides a clarity of purpose that excludes the mundane.

Also, I have a serious caffeine dependency and when Vitamin Coffee < 40oz I am not terribly coherent. So true to form, I iterate.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:47 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
So how do I make this quote my signature line? It is apropos. lol.

Detailed and rambling describes my job duties and ADD effects pretty well. Unfortunately, I'm smart enough to realize that occasionally I think I know something but in reality I'm full of shi fen. Life would be happier if I actually believed what I was saying was fully true all the time. It is one of the reasons I like fast cars - specifically track driving. The purity of speed provides a clarity of purpose that excludes the mundane.

Also, I have a serious caffeine dependency and when Vitamin Coffee < 40oz I am not terribly coherent. So true to form, I iterate.
Much in common you and I have Rotarymike, I sometimes wonder about my influence on others but then these are not the droids they're looking for.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:17 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 508 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
Akebonos are far heavier and require more material to make..
The Akebono calipers actually weigh less than the base sliders because they're aluminum. The BBK weighs more because of the rotors. Although it's likely you could offset that with 2 piece light weight rotors, which are going to be more readily available on the sport brakes than the base brakes.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:30 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
The Akebono calipers actually weigh less than the base sliders because they're aluminum. The BBK weighs more because of the rotors. Although it's likely you could offset that with 2 piece light weight rotors, which are going to be more readily available on the sport brakes than the base brakes.
I think my point was more that the reduction of engineering and design time for the dozen different calipers, brackets, bolts, knuckles, pads, etc. as well as the logistical costs of keeping thousands if not tens of thousands of spares in the supply chain outweigh the costs of the one better design. If you can prove me wrong with cost analysis, please do - not being a jerk, but would really like to see actual numbers if someone has them.

I think it has a lot to do with the planned obsolescence issues mentioned above too.

I also think that there's a misunderstanding on the consumer end. If a new G37 was $36000 or $37000 (and that was the markup on costs for the akebonos) I'm not going to really care. If I buy an Acura instead of an Infiniti because of $1000 difference, I'm not buying a premium car in the first place...

Mazda actually did this with their last sports car (other than Miata). The RX8 used the calipers from the Ford Excursion IIRC - big honking cast iron units with 13"+ rotors... where previous RX7s mostly used 4-piston aluminum calipers smaller but similar to the akebonos.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:03 AM
BULL
Moderador

I decided to do some research Mike and found what i suspected true, base calipers seem to interchange throughout many years. The search I did was a parts interchange for just "Caliper" which incorporates the bracket. Without the bracket it would not surprise if they're all the same.
Another thing I found is that OEM pricing for both types dont differentiate as much with Akebonos being around $360 and base $330 each.

I cross referenced anything that would fit a 2010 g37 sedan and I found all of these interchange for base calipers:

Front Rear
G37 G37
G35 Quest
Ex35 Pathfinder
M45 G25
M35 M37
M37 370z
G25 QX60
Q70 Murano
Q40 Jx35
370z
Murano
Qx70

As for Akebonos they cross reference with anything Sport like :
Q50S
G37S
M37S
Q60S
FX50

Hope this info is useful to others
The following 5 users liked this post by BULL:
hexotic (07-12-2019), iCrap (07-12-2019), Rochester (07-12-2019), rotarymike (07-12-2019), slartibartfast (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 10:49 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

That's pretty cool info.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

There are two types of road rage. One is where you do something rude or selfish, and it escalates. The other is when someone else does something rude or selfish, and it escalates. And I'm not proud, I've done some stupid things on the road in my life, almost entirely when I was young and invincible.

This morning I found myself in the middle of a 45 minute traffic jam on the highway, compromised by two accidents and a freaking month-long detour that just started this week. It was a mess. Cars were very slowly merging every other car, the way normal people do. Except for the SUV who insisted he was special, and no one was going to get between him and the car in front of him. This went on for a while. There was honking, and cussing and angry engine revving. Somehow I got emotionally caught up in the moment and simply couldn't let it go. Eventually he raced ahead on the shoulder, passing maybe three cars before stopping in traffic yet again.

I didn't cause this, I reacted to someone else's road manners, but I'm equally to blame. He could have snapped and rammed me. He could be a "good guy with a gun", because that happens too.

Writing it down and trying to process things. I need to be better than this. Safer, at least. Damn.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-16-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:36 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I didn't cause this, I reacted to someone else's road manners, but I'm equally to blame. He could have snapped and rammed me. He could be a "good guy with a gun", because that happens too.

Writing it down and trying to process things. I need to be better than this. Safer, at least. Damn.
Rochester, we have all been in similar situations. It could have been worse. I have done plenty of stupid things too. Now it usually has to do with people pulling right out in front of me in roundabouts. I find a good blast of the horn is usually enough to get them to open their eyes and me to vent my frustrations with their stupidity instead of catching up to them and cutting them off or ramming them. (I have seen both done before!?!)
Old 07-16-2019, 11:10 AM
BULL
Moderador

So one way I've brought some control into my life has been with a set of horns. I normally use Ford truck horns on most of my vehicles. I recommend a set of the loudest horns you can get.
Most of the time it attracts the attention of other that will shame horn the ******* and you'll feel a tad bit better knowing you're not alone anymore.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:33 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
So one way I've brought some control into my life has been with a set of horns. I normally use Ford truck horns on most of my vehicles. I recommend a set of the loudest horns you can get.
Most of the time it attracts the attention of other that will shame horn the ******* and you'll feel a tad bit better knowing you're not alone anymore.
This works too. My first car was a Geo Tracker and you can imagine the horn on that was not exactly, shall we say, "manly." So one of my 1st projects in my H.S. auto shop class was to wire up a set of air horns. The looks on people's faces were priceless.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:26 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Rochester, take the blessing that no one was hurt and learn from the experience. You may have been being a d*ck, or he was, or y'all were. It happens - thankfully, no harm no foul and move on with life. We're all d*cks to someone, sometime.

AIr horns down here in the southeast can get you shot (at) if you're not rolling coal already.

Road rage in SC is also a good way to get shot at, especially in rural areas - you're messing with the interstate commerce of meth. While I am armed for work, I *don't* wear armor so I'd really rather not get shot at. I passed up bidding on the executive-armored Grand Cherokee I saw on ebay...

Also - this is why I have to curate my playlists in the car. I am not allowed to listen to Blur's Song2 or Goldfinger's 99 red balloons (yes I know the Nena version) in the car, ever (again).

//it's been 15 years, you'd think my wife would have forgiven me for drifting her Saturn by now.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
like the others said, I'm glad to hear that noone got hurt, screw that dude..lol...kidding we all get caught up in it somtimes...even when we think we've outgrown it...be embarrassed, reflect, then forget about it and get back to worrying about more important things, like what ebay exhaust sounds best on a G37 with a muffler delete or whether you can fit 12 x 20 in rims on your sedan whooosaaaaa
Old 07-18-2019, 02:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

C8 reveal tonight at 10:30 PM (EST), for anyone who's interested.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
4DRZ (07-18-2019), Baadnewsburr (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 07:04 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
C8 reveal tonight at 10:30 PM (EST), for anyone who's interested.
I have been following all the rumors on this car for quite some time. It will be nice to finally see the finished product soon. Today I was reading an article about a lot of current Corvette owner's that are pissed off that the car is going to mid-engine. Really?? Is change really that scary? I got a good laugh out of it though as most of the complaints are coming from very old owners who seem to be rather set in their ways: https://carbuzz.com/news/old-school-...dy-hate-the-c8
Old 07-18-2019, 07:06 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
When they got rid of the popup headlights, some people went to protest in front of the GM HQ... Corvette fans are a special breed.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread