G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 06:00 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
So do you regret the redsport purchase? Or are you happy with it? Planning on modifying the engine / tuning?
My regret is not getting a different color. The car looks great, gets ok'ish MPG, sounds amazing, turns heads, was relatively cheap, and is a highway rocket. There is a ton of aftermarket support and there are FBO Q50's beating Hellcat's out there. I don't regret it.

Transmission is slow to shift when you're not in boost. But, I don't drive with the paddles when I'm just driving around town. When I am in manual mode, I'm typically pretty heavy in boost. The infotainment is useless for maps but I just use my iPhone.

My car is nearly FBO without E85. I'm focusing on suspension next.

Last edited by MaQG37; 04-03-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:27 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
Man I actually really loved the QX80. That thing rides nice! What didn't you like about it? As far as the QX60... I'm considering getting the Nissan Pathfinder Rock Creek Edition for my daily/family car. It has the towing I'd like, seats six, and the gas mileage is pretty bearable.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the QX80 is a bad vehicle at all... The new interior is actually way nicer than my Infiniti or the Durango interior. Only my Ram 2500 has a nicer interior. The issues I had with the QX80 is all with how it drove. It feels as large as it is and seems to ride more like a truck than a luxury SUV. It really just seemed to be lacking the Sport part of the SUV equation. When compared to the Durango or even the CX9 it really felt a bit like a old dinosaur using so much old tech for the suspension, steering and body control. The Durango still benefits from the old Daimler Chrysler relationship and is based on a Mercedes GL chassis which makes it a surprisingly nice vehicle to drive. In R/T trim it handles pretty well for such a large vehicle but the ride is still very comfortable and the chassis is very rigid and almost unflappable even over the roughest pavement. When paired with the great sounding and torquey Hemi V8 it is actually quite fun to drive. It's also has 3 rows of usable seating, full leather interior, heated and cooled front seats (rears are heated only), power everything, Apple Car Play and just about anything else you want... and we got it brand new for $42K! I highly recommend you drive one if your looking for a new daily driver that will fit your whole family (or in my case, 2 to 4 adults and 3 bigger dogs). We also drove a Pathfinder, but it wasn't the Rock Creek Edition.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:42 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Wow, I guess I need to reconsider that then. I've really got no idea what to replace my G with. Red sport seemed good on paper but clearly it has its flaws. Also the stuff you guys said I did see in a lot of reviews I've read / watched. Most reviewers much preferred the stinger GT over the RS.

There must be a reason there are so many '17-'18s listed for sale at massive discounts - I guess people just don't like them.

Anyways this is probably a better discussion for the other thread
What one person hates about a car another person may love, so don't let us sway your decision. You should really drive one for yourself and make your own opinions. When I'm in the market for a new car I usually try and drive as many comparable models as possible. For my next car I've already driven the Jaguar F-Type (R and SVR), AMG GTS, 911 Targa 4 GTS, Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, Lexus LC500, Maserati Gran Turismo and a few others. I still want to drive an AMG S63S Coupe, but I think I pretty much know what I'm looking for so now I'm just waiting for that perfect deal to come along.

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Ideally I'd like to hold out until my daughter doesn't need a car seat, and then could transition to a 370z or whatever z exists then. But :shrug:

As far as subframe bushing collars, if i was building a track toy I'd be all over those. I would like my car to be trackable, but not dedicated, so I think I can deal with a little slop for the NVH benefits.
Unless someone with experience with having them can say that they had no NVH issues after install (and have had them a while) and the car isn't otherwise so loud or rattly that the point is moot lol.
Yeah, if you're still using the car as a daily then I'd be concerned with excessive NVH from these subframe bushing collars too. This is pretty much the same reason I never tried them.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
For my next car I've already driven the Jaguar F-Type (R and SVR), AMG GTS, 911 Targa 4 GTS, Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, Lexus LC500, Maserati Gran Turismo and a few others. I still want to drive an AMG S63S Coupe, but I think I pretty much know what I'm looking for so now I'm just waiting for that perfect deal to come
I know you know that I've always connected with your automotive values, but holy crap... your next car ambitions are on a whole different level.

All awesome, two-pedal cars.

My preference would be the Jag, but the 6-cyl, 6MT. Failing that, I'd like the Alfa, and pray it stayed out of the shop.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:54 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
We've got an Armada Platinum (basically the same vehicle as QX80). The interior is luxury, but the ride does beat you up. I wanted the towing capacity, 2nd row bench, and the HP. It does feel a bit sluggish for 400hp (390 in the Armada-I think it's the difference between an engine tune that requires premium or regular), but I plan on some bolt-ons and a tune next year that may help.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:58 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 326 Likes on 250 Posts
I'd be happy for a long while with a Redsport powerplant in my G

Almost glad they didn't make the Redsport in 6MT, that cash is better in a brokerage account...
Old 04-05-2019, 05:02 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
So my exhaust is too damn loud with the Kinetix HFC. Anyone got a set of stocks for sale lol?
Old 04-07-2019, 09:02 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 234 Likes on 163 Posts
Hmmmm.... talk me out of it..... this car will be raced.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...tallation.html
Old 04-07-2019, 09:17 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
So my exhaust is too damn loud with the Kinetix HFC. Anyone got a set of stocks for sale lol?
Depends on what the lead time for RHFCs from FI is right now... Ordered Tuesday I think,
Old 04-07-2019, 10:41 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 326 Likes on 250 Posts
Attempted to replace start pushbutton (with GTR one), but OEM one ain't budging. Anyone else have a tough time sneaking a flathead between the chrome trim ring and the dash? Video shows little effort getting in there, but I'm struggling...anyone have any tips?

Old 04-08-2019, 06:17 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
So I went to the local pick-n-pull today to look at a '13 G37 sedan they had.

Note to self (and PSA): NEVER get in an accident this bad.

Please note that the picture is of a cracked (!) OEM wheel.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:55 AM
RosaP-37S-G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Fast intentions rhfc=man down

My fast intentions rhfc have kicked after 4 months of being installed. Rattling horribly. Without getting into what will happen next with these, i just want to move forward with something else. Question is, what??

Thinking ISR long tube headers (recommended by Moncef)
Or
Z1 headers with z1 hfc.

Both would be paired back up to my 2.5 inch fast intentions cbe. Curious if anyone has insight or an opinion of how the sound will turn out. One option is half the price the other. But I'm looking for quality. I'm genuinely interested in any and all feedback.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RosaP-37S-G
My fast intentions rhfc have kicked after 4 months of being installed. Rattling horribly. Without getting into what will happen next with these, i just want to move forward with something else.
You want to move forward without knowing what's wrong?

There's no catalyst in long-tubes.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:37 PM
RosaP-37S-G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You want to move forward without knowing what's wrong?

There's no catalyst in long-tubes.
I mean sure, but from initial observation without pulling them off, seems like the resonators/honeycomb material have broken loose on both cats. It's just plain awful sounding. Aside from pulling them down and attempting to get all debris out, I'm not sure what else can be done. I don't mind pointing myself in the direction of a few more horsepower with more reliable parts.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RosaP-37S-G
I mean sure, but from initial observation without pulling them off, seems like the resonators/honeycomb material have broken loose on both cats. It's just plain awful sounding. Aside from pulling them down and attempting to get all debris out, I'm not sure what else can be done. I don't mind pointing myself in the direction of a few more horsepower with more reliable parts.
It's not my dead horse to beat, but I've never heard of substrate fouling and rattling in FI cats, and highly suspicious that would happen four months from new. I know you're not looking for advice, but maybe you ought to have your mechanic take a look before spending good money after bad. Long tubes are expensive, more so if you've just flushed $600 on FI resonated cats tossed in the trash.

What is possible is one of them broke a weld. It's rare, but it can happen. Whatever it is, likely FI will stand behind the purchase.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread