G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 01:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
My friend who has a 3.0 TT Q50 says he misses his G37 (coupe). He preferred it. I think over all the 3.7 is the better car, unless you want to go fast for cheap I guess.
I test drove the Q50S when it came out, and had the same takeaway... my G was the better car in every possible way except for the cabin.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:10 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
So I'd like to ask some advice - hence into the chat thread.

I'm about to pull the trigger on FI catback and resonated HFCs (sold the RX7 finally). Also adding whiteline diff bushings, since I'll be under there anyway. Plan to install the short-shifter same time (Again, access).

Anything else I should *really* consider while I've got the car up on stands? New / different differential is out for now because of cost. Only other thing I can think of that I need to do is fab a trailer hitch (I liked the idea of using an adjustable-height receiver/tongue mounted vertical). I'm saving front end work for air intake and grille/foglights/painting headlights. Suspension on the car is as far as I can tell pretty solid; I'd like sway bars but they look easy enough to do at a later time.

Thoughts?
Old 04-02-2019, 04:17 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I test drove the Q50S when it came out, and had the same takeaway... my G was the better car in every possible way except for the cabin.
Agreed. I don't think I could fairly compare it to something I've gone to such lengths to customize, and I'd love to test drive one with mods I'd be looking to put on. Air conditioned seats and heated steering wheel aside, the experience was decidedly "meh".
Old 04-02-2019, 06:20 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
My friend who has a 3.0 TT Q50 says he misses his G37 (coupe). He preferred it. I think over all the 3.7 is the better car, unless you want to go fast for cheap I guess.
Whats wrong with the 3.0tt? I would have assumed it's a better more moddable engine. I have not driven one yet. Q50 Red Sport is on my mind for a replacement for my car just based on specs and price (They don't hold value worth a crap, 2017 models with under 20k miles for low $30k) - But I haven't driven one yet.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:56 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 234 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
Whats wrong with the 3.0tt? I would have assumed it's a better more moddable engine. I have not driven one yet. Q50 Red Sport is on my mind for a replacement for my car just based on specs and price (They don't hold value worth a crap, 2017 models with under 20k miles for low $30k) - But I haven't driven one yet.
Nothing is wrong with it, but the power delivery is just not as smooth being turbo charged. Again it all depends on what you're looking for. This isn't the first time someone told me this too. Our service writer traded in his 05 X for a 3.0 TT since he basically got free 2 year lease, and he really didn't like the way the power came on. He even mentioned that our clientele would not like it, which I think over all I'd guess he was right. Joe six pack isn't looking for the spool into boost kinda ride for this market IMO.

Having work for a Infiniti dealer for 3 years I can say that I'd probably prefer the 3.0 TT myself, but I'd still find myself probably missing the classic VQ sound. Hell even the engine sounds like trash in the 3.0's.... you can just hear the injectors ticking so quickly over anything else.

I was actually there when the 3.0's came out, it was quiet exciting. I've driven countless Infiniti's of all types. I even got to take a Q60 red sport off the Milwaukee car show floor and drive it all the way back to our dealership. Anyway, I find myself not wanting the Q50 as much as I once did. For me the real killer is still the lack of 6MT or at the very least, other serious aspects like a dual clutch setup. Also an LSD for the AWD's would be nice, none of this torque vectoring junk.

Oh and as far as modding goes, my friend had a really fast and powerful one. All of the people I know who've modded them eventually got knocks or other problems (2 engine replacements at my dealership alone). https://www.instagram.com/amsperformance/p/BfS80lIgtB3/ That one was my friends car. Sold it when he started getting issues.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:09 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Yeah, I'd have to agree. I drove a Q50S Red Sport a while back and came away completely underwhelmed. Other than the new engine, which is really quite good and very torquey, the rest of the car left me wanting more sport and less luxury. The entire chassis tuning is way too numb, especially the steering. The previous V36 chassis cars are considerably more fun to drive IMO. Now, if your looking for a luxury car to get you from point A to point B in complete comfort and still have some fun passing people (in a straight line LOL) then the Q50S is not a bad choice, but as a sports sedan it really lacks that sport aspect. I can't recall a new Infiniti model that I've driven over the past 5 - 10 years that I would even consider buying.. and for that reason my next car will not be an Infiniti. It's really unfortunate too, because in the 10 - 11 years that I've owned my G it's been a great car and probably one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned.

Incidentally, we recently purchase my wife a Durango R/T that we both absolutely love. We really didn't want another Chrysler product (we already own a Jeep Wrangler and Ram 2500) because their dealer network really sucks, but we couldn't find another Mid-Size 3-Row SUV that we liked to drive nearly as much as the Durango. The Mazda CX9 was the only other vehicle we were considering, but we both completely discounted the Infiniti QX60 and QX80 after only first couple miles of the first test drive.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:25 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
So I'd like to ask some advice - hence into the chat thread.

I'm about to pull the trigger on FI catback and resonated HFCs (sold the RX7 finally). Also adding whiteline diff bushings, since I'll be under there anyway. Plan to install the short-shifter same time (Again, access).

Anything else I should *really* consider while I've got the car up on stands? New / different differential is out for now because of cost. Only other thing I can think of that I need to do is fab a trailer hitch (I liked the idea of using an adjustable-height receiver/tongue mounted vertical). I'm saving front end work for air intake and grille/foglights/painting headlights. Suspension on the car is as far as I can tell pretty solid; I'd like sway bars but they look easy enough to do at a later time.

Thoughts?
Congrats on selling the ol' RX7... Guess you'll finally have to change your user name now. LOL

While your working back there one other thing you might want to consider is the Z1 Motorsports Aluminum Subframe Bushing Collars... Just a thought.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/transm...pd9nsmoas4qhg1
Old 04-02-2019, 08:47 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 234 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
we both completely discounted the Infiniti QX60 and QX80 after only first couple miles of the first test drive.
Man I actually really loved the QX80. That thing rides nice! What didn't you like about it? As far as the QX60... I'm considering getting the Nissan Pathfinder Rock Creek Edition for my daily/family car. It has the towing I'd like, seats six, and the gas mileage is pretty bearable.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:53 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Wow, I guess I need to reconsider that then. I've really got no idea what to replace my G with. Red sport seemed good on paper but clearly it has its flaws. Also the stuff you guys said I did see in a lot of reviews I've read / watched. Most reviewers much preferred the stinger GT over the RS.

There must be a reason there are so many '17-'18s listed for sale at massive discounts - I guess people just don't like them.

Anyways this is probably a better discussion for the other thread
Old 04-03-2019, 12:34 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Ideally I'd like to hold out until my daughter doesn't need a car seat, and then could transition to a 370z or whatever z exists then. But :shrug:

As far as subframe bushing collars, if i was building a track toy I'd be all over those. I would like my car to be trackable, but not dedicated, so I think I can deal with a little slop for the NVH benefits.
Unless someone with experience with having them can say that they had no NVH issues after install (and have had them a while) and the car isn't otherwise so loud or rattly that the point is moot lol.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
As far as subframe bushing collars, if i was building a track toy I'd be all over those. I would like my car to be trackable, but not dedicated, so I think I can deal with a little slop for the NVH benefits.

Unless someone with experience with having them can say that they had no NVH issues after install (and have had them a while) and the car isn't otherwise so loud or rattly that the point is moot lol.
I was really interested in Z1's subframe collars. The idea of stiffening the suspension through an inexpensive mod was really appealing. But as people bought into it, I came away with the impression that it just doesn't matter. Or perhaps it only matters if your car is aging with lots of miles where the OEM subframe bushings are weak.

It's not even on my list anymore. Which is a bummer, because I like planning out future mods.

Heck, after 7 years, there's not a whole lot still on my list.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:32 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Yeah, I would agree. My experience with them on the RX7 ITS racecars was that if you're going to replace them, go solid aluminum and call it a day. NVH is moot in a car with a 140db open exhaust that you always drive with a helmet.

(edited to add) I've built show cars, and race cars, and street cars. I have a real hard time justifying mods on a street car unless they have a substantial positive impact on the daily driving experience.

Last edited by rotarymike; 04-03-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:40 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
More to the car than the powerplant.

If were comparing motor to motor, 3.7 has been out a lot longer than the VR. I miss the manual in my G and the exhaust note. Everything else, I prefer my Q. My roomate has a FBO tuned G37S and the power difference is really noticeable between our cars. The VR just throws you back into your seat.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:21 PM
Starter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2011 S also and I couldn't agree more. The Q50 was very disappointing, especially in the ride and handling..It just didn't feel "tight". It was not a driver's car in my opinion.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:17 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MaQG37
More to the car than the powerplant.

If were comparing motor to motor, 3.7 has been out a lot longer than the VR. I miss the manual in my G and the exhaust note. Everything else, I prefer my Q. My roomate has a FBO tuned G37S and the power difference is really noticeable between our cars. The VR just throws you back into your seat.
So do you regret the redsport purchase? Or are you happy with it? Planning on modifying the engine / tuning?

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread