G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 12:03 PM
RosaP-37S-G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by markyo0o
So for those that have kids and have a sedan, how well did the G37 work for you in terms of space for car seats and storing baby things like strollers and etc.
two kids, 2 and 4. Works pretty well with front facing seats. Stroller and others things fit fine in the trunk. But for long trips we just used our pilot.
The following users liked this post:
markyo0o (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 12:50 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 482 Likes on 404 Posts
One kid, 7, in front facing seat. Plenty of room for rear facing if you have those. Trunk is fine for accessories.

Although, TBH, for long trips we use my wife's CX5 because of the G37's gas mileage.
markyo0o (12-04-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 320 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by markyo0o
So for those that have kids and have a sedan, how well did the G37 work for you in terms of space for car seats and storing baby things like strollers and etc.
One kid, still rear facing: I had the factory 6 disc cd changer in the trunk in mine, when my son was born I removed it and changed the upper trunk liner, with that change the trunk capacity increased substantially, its good for strollers luggage groceries tools etc since....before the CD changer would obstruct the opening and I couldn't get luggage/stroller in at all...

one great thing about the sedan is how wide the rear doors open compared to many other cars, its really good for getting the kid in and out and messing with the seat harness etc....its also really good for elderly parents getting in and out

one crappy thing is that its difficult to mount a mirror on the rear seats because the rear headrests are not movable
markyo0o (12-12-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 02:17 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

one crappy thing is that its difficult to mount a mirror on the rear seats because the rear headrests are not movable
We had this flat plastic piece that wedged between the seatback and the base of the rear-facing seat, and had a long strap to go around the headrest, that we strapped the mirror to. My wife's car at the time didn't have movable rear headrests either and between tying the mirror to that and to the rear upper tether point we made it work and it was pretty stable.

Baadnewsburr (12-21-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 09:57 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 167 Posts
What would mint black sport seats be worth (2012) and what models would they work with wiring wise? Also a pair of fenders, a hood, and a trunk (KAD)?
Old 12-16-2018, 05:12 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 255 Posts
Scoured the Internet for black Infiniti center caps that fit G37 OEM wheels (54mm)...to no avail.

So ordered a set of Nissan ones, guess they'll look alright/hope this doesn't inspire full emblem conversion
Old 12-20-2018, 09:24 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
What's happening guys? I haven't been on here in ages and I figured I would log back in to post an update on a Racing Brake full kit that I ordered ehmm, 5 years ago...wow, it's been that long?!? @Rochester I wanted to see what you've been up to lately and see what you've done with your car lately. I always enjoyed your perspective and the story that went along with your mods as well as your impressions and review. Going to search and see if I can find your build thread. I've done almost nothing to my car in quite a long time.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:59 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOSTER33
Figured it out. Here's a few cell phone pics of her

Gorgeous car Zoster! How do you like it so far? Have you posted a review anywhere to check out? Definitely a sweet ride for sure. How is the mod-ability on those cars? Now I want to read some reviews of that car.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,723 Likes on 3,528 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
What's happening guys? I haven't been on here in ages and I figured I would log back in to post an update on a Racing Brake full kit that I ordered ehmm, 5 years ago...wow, it's been that long?!? @Rochester I wanted to see what you've been up to lately and see what you've done with your car lately. I always enjoyed your perspective and the story that went along with your mods as well as your impressions and review. Going to search and see if I can find your build thread. I've done almost nothing to my car in quite a long time.
Welcome back, snails. Kind words, buddy. The build thread is easy enough to find, and linked in my sig line. I've done no mods this year... just maintenance and repairs. Next year... motor mounts and a slow lean in for a brake upgrade.
twin_snails (01-21-2022)
Old 12-25-2018, 03:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Hey guys... 5000k Diode Dynamics bulbs for headlight replacement? Sound about right at $40?

Is OEM 4300k?

http://www.diodedynamics.com/replace...edan-pair.html
Old 12-25-2018, 06:27 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I have friends that go way deep into the Veloster communities (Carolina Velociraptors etc) and several have the LED headlight replacements, from the cheap to the very expensive with little computer fans on the back of the light. Very white, but the throw and cutoff is NOT what I would accept in a headlight. I did better with HID retrofits into an H4 housing for my RX7 and Jeep in terms of cutoff and light pattern. I think the entire light has to be engineered for LED illumination - like the new Miatas. Otherwise you get subpar light which isn't a good idea with primary illumination.

You could switch from 35W HIDs to 50W or 55W HID if there isn't enough light for you. YMMV.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:27 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
I have friends that go way deep into the Veloster communities (Carolina Velociraptors etc) and several have the LED headlight replacements, from the cheap to the very expensive with little computer fans on the back of the light. Very white, but the throw and cutoff is NOT what I would accept in a headlight. I did better with HID retrofits into an H4 housing for my RX7 and Jeep in terms of cutoff and light pattern. I think the entire light has to be engineered for LED illumination - like the new Miatas. Otherwise you get subpar light which isn't a good idea with primary illumination.

You could switch from 35W HIDs to 50W or 55W HID if there isn't enough light for you. YMMV.
you are correct. Housings/mirrors are designed around a bulbs point of light. When you change from a hologen to hid to led you shift the location is that point about the reflective surfaces. This causes the projection/reflection of light to be off, thus altering the pattern and cutoff.

It’s amazing how many people don’t know this.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:02 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I'd think an LED replacement would work better than incandescent to HID, as the LED can shape the light source by moving chips around on the bulb base. Incandescent light is a line source - the filament. HID is a point source - the plasma chamber in the middle of the bulb. LED is a unidirectional point source by itself, which is why the LED bulbs have multiple chips on them. But my practical experience is that you can retrofit HID into incandescent by including a light shield on one side, and LED just isn't as well-defined light.

I used LED blinker bulbs in my RX8 that were a multi-chip tower and OK, but not great. Yellow and Red LED are not yet as bright as incandescent can be. At least, not in a retrofit scenario. But Red LEDs are fine if designed that way - our cars and now lots of others have perfectly fine LED brake and tail lights.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

GTK about LED headlights, but all I want is new bulbs, and am on the fence about color. Will 5000k rated bulbs look OEM, or ever slightly brighter without going blue? That seems to be the gist of things just looking around the net.

And how come DiodeDynamics is selling $40/pair bulbs when other places are selling bulbs for 2 bills? That's quite a gap.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:38 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

4300k is the oem phillips style daylight color temp, so 5000k should be just a tinge bluer. IE not enough to worry about.

Last time I got HID D2S bulbs they were about $80 each for Phillips. Can't answer why DD has them cheap - but I've had good HID bulbs and bad; the bad only lasted about a year.
Rochester (12-26-2018)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread