G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 04:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,645 Likes on 3,475 Posts
Got rear-ended yesterday while driving my wife's 2018 Subaru Forester. Haven't taken the car to the shop yet for assessment and repair, but it sure looks like the bumper absorbed the entire collision. Got smacked pretty hard, and I shudder to think what would have happened to the G if I were in my car.

My daughter and I are fine, but the woman who hit us was a wreck. She was so freakin sad, and just beat up by life. It was kind of heartbreaking.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:21 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
damn, sorry to hear about the accident, glad you and your daughter are all right..also glad it wasn't your G!
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 05:46 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 837 Likes on 716 Posts
I echo hasim's sentiments. You and your family trump things.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:48 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Darn it John, hope it all works out well w/ the insurance and all that comes with it
Glad you and your kiddo are fine, sad to hear about the other party though, always tough going through that.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
Darn it John, hope it all works out well w/ the insurance and all that comes with it
Glad you and your kiddo are fine, sad to hear about the other party though, always tough going through that.
I suspect they'll be replacing the bumper and bumper skin. All the trim and fender gaps seem perfect, and the lift gate still functions, as well as the sensors and back up camera. From my untrained eye, it seems the collision was flat, bumper to bumper with the old Jeep Cherokee that smacked us.

Sure is unnerving, and a royal PITA to deal with afterwards, but it could have been worse in so many ways.

Thanks, Brad.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:56 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. You just had a close call a bit ago in the Forester. Glad everyone is OK.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:05 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. You just had a close call a bit ago in the Forester. Glad everyone is OK.
Oh right, I forgot about that. When the car stopped itself. Sheesh, that would have put me on the whacking end of a rear-end accident.

My wife and I were counting up rear-end events in our lifetime: zero for her (of course). But I've been rear-ended 3 times: '99 Maxima, 2000 Volvo and now the '18 Subaru. All three times I was completely stopped at an intersection.

And in full disclosure, I've rear-ended two cars before, once when I was 17 in a '76 Firebird (my fault on a bridge over the Erie Canal), and once in that same '99 Maxima; (Which was her fault for stopping her car on a merging on-ramp. Seriously, who does that?)
Old 10-08-2018, 10:05 AM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
(Which was her fault for stopping her car on a merging on-ramp. Seriously, who does that?)
I see that behavior on a regular basis entering I-93 N from the Furnace Brook rotary in Quincy, MA. It annoys me no end (not the mention the danger).
Old 10-09-2018, 09:44 PM
Banshee
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Got rear-ended yesterday while driving my wife's 2018 Subaru Forester. Haven't taken the car to the shop yet for assessment and repair, but it sure looks like the bumper absorbed the entire collision. Got smacked pretty hard, and I shudder to think what would have happened to the G if I were in my car.

My daughter and I are fine, but the woman who hit us was a wreck. She was so freakin sad, and just beat up by life. It was kind of heartbreaking.
Sorry to hear that. It seems accidents are among us. The other day on Saturday while on the freeway, a Mustang slammed the entire side of his car into the entire side of my car. Amazingly only my rear passenger door got damaged. It just had to be a @^%$#*&( Mustang.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Banshee
Sorry to hear that. It seems accidents are among us. The other day on Saturday while on the freeway, a Mustang slammed the entire side of his car into the entire side of my car. Amazingly only my rear passenger door got damaged. It just had to be a @^%$#*&( Mustang.
Oh wow. Nothing like that has ever happened to me.

Did you both merge into the center lane at the same time? That's happened a few times in my life, but never any contact. Just both cars swinging back into their lanes like magnets lined up wrong.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:15 AM
Banshee
Registered Member

Oh wow. Nothing like that has ever happened to me.

Did you both merge into the center lane at the same time? That's happened a few times in my life, but never any contact. Just both cars swinging back into their lanes like magnets lined up wrong.
No. 2 lane one way highway. I'm in the left and he's entering the on ramp and there is a slow poke going like 45 no joke. He's coming in hot and fast just plainly did not look in his mirror or blind spot even once. Right as I'm passing mister slow poke is when he's making his take over move of him and I had my horn going as I saw him speeding up into me and his front fender met with my mirror or just about. I tried avoided it but my tires hit the bumps on the shoulder to keep you awake or whatever. After those bumps it was about, what seems like a foot when you're in your car at high speed, from a 60 foot fall down an embankment to an underpassing highway. So I figured F-it. Let him make contact I ain't dying over this.

What you described I've had to also save several times on crowded highways. Usually because other people don't use blinkers or look for them. Grrr.

I also noticed that when I'm passing people, they seem to inadvertently do what I've heard referred to as "directional steering." It is where you unintentionally steer in the direction that you are looking with your eyes or head. I imagine they are watching me in their sideview mirror and are gawking at my loud Infiniti...but still. I noticed it more and more.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:00 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Ah, so he merged ahead of a slower car and changed into your lane at the same time? That's pretty aggressive. Not uncommon or crazy, but you really, really have to be sure about things. Pretty sure that's an illegal manuever, and you're supposed to change lanes one at a time. But IDK... not a traffic cop.

Here's a pet peeve of mine: watching someone merge onto the highway, then speed ahead of the slower car that was in front of them but still hasn't merged yet. Know what I mean? Hate those guys.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:46 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
The one that really ruffles my feathers is when someone pulls into a left turn lane from way down the road and speeds up past other cars trying to get in the turn lane normally.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:29 AM
Banshee
Registered Member

Ah, so he merged ahead of a slower car and changed into your lane at the same time? That's pretty aggressive. Not uncommon or crazy, but you really, really have to be sure about things. Pretty sure that's an illegal manuever, and you're supposed to change lanes one at a time. But IDK... not a traffic cop.

Here's a pet peeve of mine: watching someone merge onto the highway, then speed ahead of the slower car that was in front of them but still hasn't merged yet. Know what I mean? Hate those guys.
Your pet peeve happens to me a lot. Not that I'm going slow, just that there is a slow guy in front of me and the dude behind me has the sooner opportunity to merge and speed up. Yup, lots of sticky annoying situations out there.
Originally Posted by rotarymike
The one that really ruffles my feathers is when someone pulls into a left turn lane from way down the road and speeds up past other cars trying to get in the turn lane normally.
Oh this one is so fun to mess with people. Like if I see that occurring I'll blinker left and slightly sway just to make them realize the possibilities.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:40 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Banshee
Oh this one is so fun to mess with people. Like if I see that occurring I'll blinker left and slightly sway just to make them realize the possibilities.
Here, they're oblivious. I don't know how many accidents I've seen happen right in front of me from that - maybe 2 dozen? Now if I still had my Cherokee with the bull bumper, maybe. But I can almost guarantee that they won't swerve until contact is made.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread