G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 08:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
I'm unfamiliar with STS though, what is that?
Short-throw Shifter. Game changer.

Oh hey, Lobuzz's car. I remember that guy. Looking at his old FS thread, you already have the TWM STS. In fact, that car was properly fitted with all the right mods. Should be a hell of a car you've got there, regardless of salvage.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-10-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:46 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 234 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Short-throw Shifter. Game changer.

Oh hey, Lobuzz's car. I remember that guy. Looking at his old FS thread, you already have the TWM STS. In fact, that car was properly fitted with all the right mods. Should be a hell of a car you've got there, regardless of salvage.
I had my G35X all modded, and this would have been the first year I had a bunch of nice carbon fiber on it. That being said, I really didn't want to ruin it in winter time, so I was looking on cars.com for a cheap awd G beater car. Instead I came across this car, RWD 6MT. Like I said it was very rare for the area, so even though it wasn't easy to pull off I had to get it. I just happened to accidentally find Lobuzz on youtube when I was looking up the exhaust brand it had on it (before I bought it mind you). That's when he filled me in about the car and linked his for sale thread! How handy considering I didn't know everything that had been done to it.

As far as the condition I got it in, it was mostly the same, except the front bumper and fender were replaced/repainted. That also meant the headlights were not the cool halo ones he had, though I the dealer has the passenger side if I ever want to pick it up and try to replicate the results on the other side. I work at an infiniti dealership so I brought it in to have my technicians look at it before I pulled the trigger, since it was in an accident. 54k miles, only paid $11,500 for it. No rust on the bottom since it's from CA and newer. Trying to get that Infiniti Elite warranty over to me despite it not technically being transferred to me, so we'll see how that plays out. I already swapped over my of my cool stuff from my G35X besides my Ark Grip. The J2 is kinda meh and the Y-pipe was bottomed out anyway. I'd have to get a second exhaust that fits RWD and AWD... probably just going with OBX since I spent most of my money on the car.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:22 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Nice grab, man. How does it compare to your '07 X?
Old 09-10-2018, 01:42 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 234 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
Nice grab, man. How does it compare to your '07 X?
I haven't really pushed it a ton yet since it has a leaking Y pipe and is kinda loud. I honestly can't say yet but I hope to get it to the track in 13 days and then we'll see how it compares. I will say the RWD's feel a lot more nimble. That AWD feels good though.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:49 PM
redsoxfan5
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI I have a short-throw shifter for sale in the classifieds if you're interested:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...t-shifter.html
Old 09-14-2018, 11:52 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Couple of questions for y'all:
  1. Headlight Restoration - I've been sanding and sealing every 6 months. I'm wondering if detail shops have more permanent solutions? Are we able to just replace the headlight cover instead of the whole headlight?
  2. Brakes - looking at replacing them soon. Before I checkout my cart on Rockauto, can someone confirm that I indeed have the correct brakes/rotors for the RWD Sedan sport trim?

Old 09-14-2018, 11:56 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
As far as headlights, that's about all you can do, no covers available separately. Might do a search for the most durable sealers and see if there's a better product for that, 6 months seems like a pretty short shelf life

Shopping cart is correct for your large sport brake set.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:01 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
As far as headlights, that's about all you can do, no covers available separately. Might do a search for the most durable sealers and see if there's a better product for that, 6 months seems like a pretty short shelf life

Shopping cart is correct for your large sport brake set.
Thanks man!
Old 09-14-2018, 03:12 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
You might be able to wait til black friday get yourself some Z1 two piece front rotors for around $448. I wish I had gone that route. Turned out my pads probably had about 40% left on them. The shipping could be as high as $50 shame they don't have free shipping, but could be the last rotors you need, esp if you buy a rebuild kit at the same time.

You will still have to get rear brakes, why I am not sure. Perhaps you can live with just rear pads.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/brakes...rs-p-7025.html
Old 09-14-2018, 09:24 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Those look nice, but maybe a bit overkill for my needs, and I don't think I could swing that much.

On a side note, I was looking under my car today and saw this guy:

I wonder how heavily modified my car once was. I assume these are alright to have with stock suspension, but will they hold up if I get coilovers in the future?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
I wonder how heavily modified my car once was. I assume these are alright to have with stock suspension, but will they hold up if I get coilovers in the future?
Just guessing, but odds are the car had coilovers in the past.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:21 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Yeah, those will hold up just fine, had my SPCs almost since we bought the car back in 09. If you don't have adjustable camber arms in front chances are it was a mild drop, but ???
Old 09-15-2018, 01:41 PM
mvx
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey guys quick question. I’m converting my front bumper to the sport sedan version, and as I removed my bumper, these 2 pieces fell off around the headlight area. I can’t seem to find where the hell they go back. Any ideas?
Old 09-15-2018, 02:59 PM
mvx
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Nvm. Found the spots while I was putting the bumper back on. They go near the top of each headlight and are important for securing 10mm bolts.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:33 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Just guessing, but odds are the car had coilovers in the past.
Yeah I bet you're right, springs or coilovers.

Originally Posted by blnewt
Yeah, those will hold up just fine, had my SPCs almost since we bought the car back in 09. If you don't have adjustable camber arms in front chances are it was a mild drop, but ???
Nice, I'll check the front when I get a chance. The search is on for a good set of springs, though I'm having issues finding ones that don't sag in the back. I don't know why manufacturers think that looks good.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread