Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:18 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
It's both a gift and a curse.
What a gentleman you are, SIR. The color is still debatable as I don't plan to even think about installing these until I get my 19" coupe wheels together. Won't be able to clear these calipers with the 18" G35 sport wheels I have on the car at the moment.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:26 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Damn Blnewt. I'm sorry to hear this news. I hope it all gets worked out fast. I am happy you weren't injured bad. Rest up.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Hope you're okay! Gotta move that bullseye Brad!

Gonna cave and go BBK? I need to do some digging around re: rotors. I'm gearing up to swap my calipers out and I'm thinking it will make sense to do the rotors at the same time. Gotta do something soon, the guest room looks like a garage store room right now.
Yep, I'm OK, and I pretty much ignore all the UFO stuff after being around here 20+ years (God I'm SO ready to move).

Chris, if & when you want to sell those calipers shoot me a PM w/ what you want for them. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,729 Likes on 3,534 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I pretty much ignore all the UFO stuff after being around here 20+ years
That's the very first thing abductees say.

The second thing is how the **** probe really wasn't all that bad.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:48 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
I am on the same page as you. I personally wouldn't have the time to pull the Akebonos off, get the painted and what not and reinstalled all in a day's time. Your logic is spot on. AND the benefit for you is that you can sell the old Akebonos you have, with a rebuild kit (which costs like $30 & for peace of mind with the next buyer) and they'll essentially have a new set of calipers for way less than new cost.
I hadn't considered the rebuild kit but that's a good idea. That's pretty much my plan plus I'll have the OEM lines I can offer up as well. Possibly my current rotors if I do swap them out.

Originally Posted by Rochester
It's both a gift and a curse.
I am currently explaining that I am okay, I do in fact know how to drink water and I am very sorry for liquid shooting out of my nose as I sit in the airport...

Yep, I'm OK, and I pretty much ignore all the UFO stuff after being around here 20+ years (God I'm SO ready to move).

Chris, if & when you want to sell those calipers shoot me a PM w/ what you want for them. Thanks!
Brad when you move please leave the bullseye! I'll reach out for you, my plan is definitely to sell them. I'm hoping to get the others back next week. That might be wishful thinking though I'm not certain. It may take awhile to get the swap done, I just found out the academy I was slated to start in April has now been moved to March so a lot of plans need to be rearranged.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:25 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Because I'm looking to have these powdercoated, I realized the infiniti marking will be removed. What's the best way to restore that, or the "Akebono" marking when I powdercoat? They're going to get hot, and I will keep them clean and I will need something that will hold up to the elements.

Hope you (and family) are a-ok Brad
Connoisseurr - take a look at this link for the Akebono decals for brakes.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/interio...er-decals.html

Brad - sorry to hear about your accident, seems like you can't get a break...
Old 01-31-2014, 01:41 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

I hadn't considered the rebuild kit but that's a good idea. That's pretty much my plan plus I'll have the OEM lines I can offer up as well. Possibly my current rotors if I do swap them out.
For the small price, it's totally worth it. New seals, boots, oil, etc. It'll allow you to fully dismantle the caliper and clean it 100%. My plan is to tear them apart, clean the ever loving snot out of them, and take them to my buddy Darryl for PC. He'll strip the rest of the brake goo off and make them look superb.

Here is a link for a rebuild incase you ever wanted to do this.
DIY: Sport Brake Caliper Rebuild - Nissan 370Z Forum

Originally Posted by Choman
Connoisseurr - take a look at this link for the Akebono decals for brakes.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/interio...er-decals.html
How well will these hold up to heat from the rotors, elements and what not... that's what I'm worried about.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:49 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
For the small price, it's totally worth it. New seals, boots, oil, etc. It'll allow you to fully dismantle the caliper and clean it 100%. My plan is to tear them apart, clean the ever loving snot out of them, and take them to my buddy Darryl for PC. He'll strip the rest of the brake goo off and make them look superb.

Here is a link for a rebuild incase you ever wanted to do this.
DIY: Sport Brake Caliper Rebuild - Nissan 370Z Forum

How well will these hold up to heat from the rotors, elements and what not... that's what I'm worried about.
Much appreciated, thank you!

You could talk to JPSG37S, he has a source for some aluminum Akebono decals that are pretty sharp.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:49 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Give them a quick call. I'm sure they should have an answer and provide you with some answer.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:52 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Much appreciated, thank you!

You could talk to JPSG37S, he has a source for some aluminum Akebono decals that are pretty sharp.
Originally Posted by Choman
Give them a quick call. I'm sure they should have an answer and provide you with some answer.
I just posted a question to the Vendor sale forum. I've been passing PMs back and forth with Tunerz Store regaring their custom BC coilovers anyhow. Can't wait until they get those things fine-tuned
Old 01-31-2014, 02:05 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Thanks Kevin & Justin for the well wishes, just more of a PITA than anything, probably have some lame little loaner for a few weeks but at least I'm not dealing w/ an uninsured driver
I just posted a question to the Vendor sale forum. I've been passing PMs back and forth with Tunerz Store regaring their custom BC coilovers anyhow. Can't wait until they get those things fine-tuned
Conner, seems like they've had this project going for some time now, what have you heard for them releasing the coils to the public? I'm sure you X guys are pretty tired of the very limited options by now. Too bad that AMR setup hasn't turned out well, I had high hopes
Old 01-31-2014, 02:19 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Conner, seems like they've had this project going for some time now, what have you heard for them releasing the coils to the public? I'm sure you X guys are pretty tired of the very limited options by now. Too bad that AMR setup hasn't turned out well, I had high hopes
Well, for Tunerz Store, they placed the order for a set of BC coils, with 8k/6k spring rates, and rubber top bushings versus the steel ones. They installed them and noticed the great ride quality that comes from adding the swift springs to the BC bodies. However, there is still noise coming from the rear of the vehicle at low speeds. They swapped out the rear BC shock and reinstalled the OEM shock and all the noise disappeared.

My suggestion was to install another rear shock from another coilover company - this can work yes? The only difference in suspension geometry between the X and non-X models is the front setup. I'm not sure if that's correct or not, but that's what I thought was the case.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:36 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

My suggestion was to install another rear shock from another coilover company - this can work yes? The only difference in suspension geometry between the X and non-X models is the front setup. I'm not sure if that's correct or not, but that's what I thought was the case.
Yep, it's the fronts that are a different lower mounting setup, rears are the same.

For you guys looking for budget BBK rotors here's a used set of Stoptechs on 35driver
FS: Akebono BBK Candy Blue w/ Stoptech Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors - G35Driver
Old 01-31-2014, 03:27 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Yep, it's the fronts that are a different lower mounting setup, rears are the same.

For you guys looking for budget BBK rotors here's a used set of Stoptechs on 35driver
FS: Akebono BBK Candy Blue w/ Stoptech Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors - G35Driver
Thanks for the link Brad! Not sure if I want to mess with used rotors...

But....... do I need brackets for these calipers when upgrading on my 2010 X sedan? I didn't think that was something I needed.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:46 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Thanks for the link Brad! Not sure if I want to mess with used rotors...

But....... do I need brackets for these calipers when upgrading on my 2010 X sedan? I didn't think that was something I needed.
No, I believe just the new brake lines and a spare tire from a Sport to clear the front caliper.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread