G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:17 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You've also painted and labeled those OEM brakes in a very tasteful way. How's that holding up?
Funny that you mention that, the paint just started to chip a bit last week, so the VHT caliper paint seems to have about a 2 yr shelf life. A BBK may be in the works so I'll probably just leave them be for now.

Oh, and my bullseye seemed to move to my other vehicle, I got T-boned again last night in my T100 truck, sheesh!
Old 01-31-2014, 09:19 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 750 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Funny that you mention that, the paint just started to chip a bit last week, so the VHT caliper paint seems to have about a 2 yr shelf life. A BBK may be in the works so I'll probably just leave them be for now.

Oh, and my bullseye seemed to move to my other vehicle, I got T-boned again last night in my T100 truck, sheesh!
A T100?! I love the T100. That used to be my dad's work truck and the family car for the longest time. Bench seats?

Also sorry your truck got hit. I hope everything is okay.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:24 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts

Hope you're okay! Gotta move that bullseye Brad!

Gonna cave and go BBK? I need to do some digging around re: rotors. I'm gearing up to swap my calipers out and I'm thinking it will make sense to do the rotors at the same time. Gotta do something soon, the guest room looks like a garage store room right now.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:29 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
There's also the RacingBrake ET500 pads... I've read great things about those. And the HAWK HPS composite pads, which I've always been partial to.
I've always used Hawk HPS pads on all my upgraded setups. I did a rotor, stainless line and Hawk pad upgrade on my Cooper S and WOW did that make a big difference. That upgrade, plus suspension upgrade, PLUS the few engine mods I did made that car a little tiny rocket ship.

Anthony, the rotors are quite a bit bigger, especially in front. They go from 320mm for the sedan and 330mm for coupe w/ non-S brakes, up to a whopping 355mm on the Akebono equipped setup in front. The rears go from 307/330 to 350mm.
I've been looking around for rotors and I don't really know if I need drilled/slotted rotors - I think I'd be content with an OEM or OEM style rotor. I'm just looking for the best deal in my eyes, since I won't be doing anything like tracking the car. I just like nice tight brakes and obviously the pleasing aesthetics

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
I saw a deal on a used set of rotors for very cheap. If they had fit, I would have taken the chance. Oh well! Guess that means I have to get sway bars now!
I'd be careful when buying used rotors... Make sure they aren't warped or worn down in any way. It could be worth spending the extra $100 on new goods, just for the piece of mind.

Because I'm looking to have these powdercoated, I realized the infiniti marking will be removed. What's the best way to restore that, or the "Akebono" marking when I powdercoat? They're going to get hot, and I will keep them clean and I will need something that will hold up to the elements.

Hope you (and family) are a-ok Brad
Old 01-31-2014, 09:31 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Hope you're okay! Gotta move that bullseye Brad!

Gonna cave and go BBK? I need to do some digging around re: rotors. I'm gearing up to swap my calipers out and I'm thinking it will make sense to do the rotors at the same time. Gotta do something soon, the guest room looks like a garage store room right now.
Did you already have the Akebonos on there? Or will you be installing them for the first time? If first time, your stock rotors will not work - but I'm sure you know this already since you have 2 SETS OF AKEBONOS
Old 01-31-2014, 09:32 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Thanks guys, yeah I'm OK, a dull ache on my side but nothing serious. I love my truck though and hope it can get fixed ASAP, not much body damage but it tore off the rear leaf spring so my back axle was all off kilter and driveshaft popped off the transmission drive.

I specifically told the body shop that fixed my G T-bone to comptely remove the bullseye, but they must have left it in the glovebox of my T100
Old 01-31-2014, 09:38 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Thanks guys, yeah I'm OK, a dull ache on my side but nothing serious. I love my truck though and hope it can get fixed ASAP, not much body damage but it tore off the rear leaf spring so my back axle was all off kilter and driveshaft popped off the transmission drive. I specifically told the body shop that fixed my G T-bone to comptely remove the bullseye, but they must have left it in the glovebox of my T100
Maybe it's on your back.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 09:57 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Maybe it's on your back.
LOL, Maybe, since I was in the vehicle this time
Old 01-31-2014, 10:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,676 Likes on 3,496 Posts
LOL, Maybe, since I was in the vehicle this time
Man, that's scary.

I think the problem is that so many people in Roswell are looking up in the sky when driving, instead of in front of them... where the spaceships are actually going to land.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Aliens
Old 01-31-2014, 10:27 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Did you already have the Akebonos on there? Or will you be installing them for the first time? If first time, your stock rotors will not work - but I'm sure you know this already since you have 2 SETS OF AKEBONOS
I upgrade to the BBK last year when I got a deal that was too good to pass up at ONEighty which included swapping out the stock brakes. As I keep moving forward I had to figure out how to get the paint done on them. So yes, I bought another set which is out for paint now and will be swapped out once I decide whether to change the rotors and install the exhaust. May not make sense to everyone but, for me, the interim expense was worth it to reduce the down time and get them painted to my satisfaction. Once I'm done I'll have a set of calipers, pads and lines to resell.

May not work for everyone but it works for me.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:28 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

I specifically told the body shop that fixed my G T-bone to comptely remove the bullseye, but they must have left it in the glovebox of my T100
Gotta be more specific Brad!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:32 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I'm either going to do a stock color (which will be a close match to Graphite Shadow) or taking it back to my Acura days when I had Spoon calipers on my TSX.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:51 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Man, that's scary.

I think the problem is that so many people in Roswell are looking up in the sky when driving, instead of in front of them... where the spaceships are actually going to land.
No wonder he was all starry eyed....

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I upgrade to the BBK last year when I got a deal that was too good to pass up at ONEighty which included swapping out the stock brakes. As I keep moving forward I had to figure out how to get the paint done on them. So yes, I bought another set which is out for paint now and will be swapped out once I decide whether to change the rotors and install the exhaust. May not make sense to everyone but, for me, the interim expense was worth it to reduce the down time and get them painted to my satisfaction. Once I'm done I'll have a set of calipers, pads and lines to resell.

May not work for everyone but it works for me.
I am on the same page as you. I personally wouldn't have the time to pull the Akebonos off, get the painted and what not and reinstalled all in a day's time. Your logic is spot on. AND the benefit for you is that you can sell the old Akebonos you have, with a rebuild kit (which costs like $30 & for peace of mind with the next buyer) and they'll essentially have a new set of calipers for way less than new cost.

And you have to come through like that and be a real McAzzhole lol. I was expecting a lot of LOLs and HAHAWHYs from you all when I suggested the Spoon caliper color
Old 01-31-2014, 10:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

And you have to come through like that and be a real McAzzhole lol.
It's both a gift and a curse.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread