G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 11:07 AM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I’m not one to obsess over wheel gap and stance, but does this strike anymore else as an absurd amount of tire:fender gap??

Yes. And is that your's?
Old 04-28-2018, 03:08 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
No, it was a local dealership that leave a couple cars outside the restaurant.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:44 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
Alright what would you guys get of these three tires?.. (265/35)

Ventus V12 evo2
Firehawk Indy 500
Conti ExtremeContact sport

I haven't driven on any of them so i've got no clue. They all seem to get pretty good reviews.... conti and hankook get the same 87% rating on TireRack

If it were me I would go with the Continentals. I have a set of Extreme Contact Sports on my Porsche and love them. They don't tramline like the Ventus V12 and are much quieter than the Bridgestone S04'a that I had on my G35.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:31 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
If it were me I would go with the Continentals. I have a set of Extreme Contact Sports on my Porsche and love them. They don't tramline like the Ventus V12 and are much quieter than the Bridgestone S04'a that I had on my G35.
Ive been reading a lot of reviews and the interesting thing is that a LOT of people complain about how loud the Contis are, some people even saying they can hear them over the radio.

Did you try the v12 Evo2s? I havent read any reviews saying they tramline.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:21 PM
almost legal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know that this is the best place to ask, but I'm stumped on two different options for a G37 6MT

We've got a private seller at $17k, 2011 40k miles and supposed to be immaculate. Has already had the slave cylinder replaced but OEM so will probably come up again, only mods being eibach springs

Alternatively a dealer is getting in a 2013 with 56k miles listed at $17k. I'm also buying out of state so the dealer would be nice to help with the legwork

How the hell do I narrow this down? I'm so eager to join the club

Last edited by almost legal; 05-03-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:43 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

For me it would just come down to the condition and options. Are they the same exact car?
Old 05-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by almost legal
I don't know that this is the best place to ask, but I'm stumped on two different options for a G37 6MT

We've got a private seller at $17k, 2011 40k miles and supposed to me immaculate. Has already had the slave cylinder replaced but OEM so will probably come up again, only mods being eibach springs

Alternatively a dealer is getting in a 2013 with 56k miles listed at $17k. I'm also buying out of state so the dealer would be nice to help with the legwork

Normally I’d lean towards the lower mileage car, but the 2013 would have the updated rear timing cover gasket, and the dealership would make the whole transaction easier.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:03 PM
almost legal

For me it would just come down to the condition and options. Are they the same exact car?
Need more pictures of each still, but essentially. Both the graphite manual sedan with black interior which is what I want

Normally I’d lean towards the lower mileage car, but the 2013 would have the updated rear timing cover gasket, and the dealership would make the whole transaction easier.
Good points, is that the repair that usually comes out to like 5-8k?
Old 05-03-2018, 08:34 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
And the 2013 still has some drive train warranty.

Good points, is that the repair that usually comes out to like 5-8k?
No. I think it's the negligible cost of a gasket, but a day+ in labor hours.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-03-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:44 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
I lean towards lower mileage but at that difference I’d take two years newer, all else being equal
Old 05-03-2018, 09:16 PM
almost legal

Originally Posted by Rochester
And the 2013 still has some drive train warranty.

No. I think it's the negligible cost of a gasket, but a day+ in labor hours.
Ooh nice, didn't realize any'd still be active

Looks like we have a consensus, hopefully everything else checks out on it

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by almost legal; 05-03-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:29 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I would stay away from the Hankooks, they are like a relationship, the longer you go, the worse they get. Haven't tried the Firestones, heard good things. I went the with AS/3+ with thought of longer wear and I don't track the car. I would say the have better grip than a lot of Summer Tires. It is funny I used to have General Exclaims on a car when I bought it and never realized they were A/S until I saw an article about them later. Those were one of my favorite tires. I don't know how the new General A/S are, but those were great.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:03 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ezbme
I would stay away from the Hankooks, they are like a relationship, the longer you go, the worse they get. Haven't tried the Firestones, heard good things. I went the with AS/3+ with thought of longer wear and I don't track the car. I would say the have better grip than a lot of Summer Tires. It is funny I used to have General Exclaims on a car when I bought it and never realized they were A/S until I saw an article about them later. Those were one of my favorite tires. I don't know how the new General A/S are, but those were great.
This is the funny thing about tires, EVERYONE has a totally different opinion. Some people say the contis are too loud, others say super quiet. Some people say the Hankook are junk, others love them. Someone in a previous post says they heard bad things about the Firestones.

I still haven't ordered anything cause I just cant decide. So many conflicting reviews.....

I could just get the A/S 3s but I have two sets of wheels so I might as well get dedicated summers for these.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:07 PM
Infinita Chica

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive been reading a lot of reviews and the interesting thing is that a LOT of people complain about how loud the Contis are, some people even saying they can hear them over the radio.

Did you try the v12 Evo2s? I havent read any reviews saying they tramline.
I've had no problems with noise on two sets of Continentals (105K miles combined). This is my 3rd set on a G37. I decided to move towards the PURECONTACT WITH ECOPLUS TECHNOLOGY and away from the Extremes. Much quieter and smoother. Also very good in snow and rain. They are Grand Touring as opposed to the Ultra High performance. I don't see the advantage to the DWS since i don't run my car hard.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:10 PM
Infinita Chica

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've got a private seller at $17k, 2011 40k miles and supposed to be immaculate. Has already had the slave cylinder replaced but OEM so will probably come up again, only mods being eibach springs

Like others have said, the newer car is a better option. One thing I alway look at is what mods have been put on a car and the tire they run. A lot of younger guys who mod their cars also run them hard (not all guys, but many), so while they look immaculate/pristine, that's just the exterior. It's like looking at beautifully tanned skin with a fractured bone beneath the surface. I would ask harmless sounding questions: 1) So, how fast does it do 0-60? Quarter mile? etc. If they have no idea, then you have more info, if they know to the second, that too is highly informative.

Just my .02.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread