G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:22 AM
elrey85
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
1) Will a HFC work with stock pipes back to my tanabe axle backs?

2) Will I NEED an uprev tune after this mod?(Uprev is all I'd consider) I can't find a shop anywhere off the UPREV site for tuning here in florida.

There isn't any sense in doing this mod if it will screw up my ride without getting a tune.
Sorry for late response. To my knowledgge the Kinetix HFCs should pair up with stock pipes. Also they pair up to Megan Racing Y pipe as I said before. I am going to hold off on the UpRev tune since my warranty will expire soon and I still want to get the Intakes before I do it. That being said I have had no real issues with exhaust set up I have. The only bumps I have come across is that the O2 sensors on the stock cats were not transferable to the new Cats because they were so rusted in the old ones that the threads were coming apart. There was a risk that if I did try to thread them on the new cats, they may damage the threads on the new cats. So I decided to bite the bullet purchase new O2 sensors for the new cats which set me back about 300$. But good news is that I have not had any check engine light issues at all in the past year I have had this set up. The other bump I hit was that recently the exhaust has been sounding raspy and louder than usual. Had my friend check it out and it seems like there was a leak between the cat and Y pipe connection and the bolts just needed to be tighten. This fixed the problem and so far so good. So basically a tune is not "required" per say but to get the best performance out of your bolt on mods, it makes sense to get a tune. Right now the car drives nice even with out a tune and intakes so I can imagine how much better it will drive once I get those done. Cant Wait !
Old 12-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
I see, well I prefer the look of Q300 rather than the look of any other catback exhaust systems for our sedans when most of them hang really low :/
What really bugs me about aftermarket CBE for our car is the exhaust tips the size of dinner plates. Fortunately I learned first-hand that anything can be hacked off and welded on to suit personal tastes. The trick is finding something perfect. My tips are a compromise in that they're single-walled, with no rolled or beveled edge. They look absolutely fantastic at an angle (IMO), but when viewed straight-on they pretty much disappear. 3.5" Magnaflow tips, single-wall, round, 45* slash-cut, custom cut and welded to fit.

When the day comes for a CBE, I'm going to be researching this real hard. Until then:

Old 12-09-2013, 02:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Just got my Carsmos today, sure feel substantial and look great. Nice to bring a bit of a German feel to the interior switchgear.

BTW John, love my dinner plate tips but they're actually just a bit bigger than hockey pucks, After having them I wouldn't want smaller ones, at least w/ my G in its' current form. If it had more of a stock look they'd be a bit much I think.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:03 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 751 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Just got my Carsmos today, sure feel substantial and look great. Nice to bring a bit of a German feel to the interior switchgear.
I like mine a lot, my only (small) complaint is that they're quite smooth around the edges. It's a tiny bit harder to grip when you're trying to fine tune a station.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:07 PM
JohnnyD

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Quick question

Can anybody shoot up a pic of their car with 6000k hid headlights, but still stock bulbs elsewhere.

I just got my 6k headlight bulbs and was wondering if it would look bad to go ahead and install them. I haven't ordered a hid kit for the fogs or switchbacks yet..
Old 12-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt

BTW John, love my dinner plate tips but they're actually just a bit bigger than hockey pucks, After having them I wouldn't want smaller ones, at least w/ my G in its' current form. If it had more of a stock look they'd be a bit much I think.
Pics with your new dash vinyl, Brad.

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
I like mine a lot, my only (small) complaint is that they're quite smooth around the edges. It's a tiny bit harder to grip when you're trying to fine tune a station.
As far as complaints go, that one is so small it's microscopic.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:23 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Pics with your new dash vinyl, Brad.
I second this - I can't wait to see how it all comes together - vinyl and Carsmo *****
Old 12-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts

What really bugs me about aftermarket CBE for our car is the exhaust tips the size of dinner plates. Fortunately I learned first-hand that anything can be hacked off and welded on to suit personal tastes. The trick is finding something perfect. My tips are a compromise in that they're single-walled, with no rolled or beveled edge. They look absolutely fantastic at an angle (IMO), but when viewed straight-on they pretty much disappear. 3.5" Magnaflow tips, single-wall, round, 45* slash-cut, custom cut and welded to fit.

When the day comes for a CBE, I'm going to be researching this real hard. Until then:
Let me see more pictures of those tips from the rear... and thats why I said Im not a big fan of those big tips size of a dinner plate either ... but everything is done step by step at least in my case I'm sure in yours as well Rochester but as I have mentioned I'm planning on custom quad tips anyway to acomplish the awesome custom look I'm going for especially because its going to be something that you rarely see on any G especially sedan
Old 12-09-2013, 03:21 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 751 Likes on 356 Posts
Let me see more pictures of those tips from the rear... and thats why I said Im not a big fan of those big tips size of a dinner plate either ... but everything is done step by step at least in my case I'm sure in yours as well Rochester but as I have mentioned I'm planning on custom quad tips anyway to acomplish the awesome custom look I'm going for especially because its going to be something that you rarely see on any G especially sedan
I don't know how I feel about quad tips. Rather, I should say that I like them, but I see them poorly executed (in my opinion) more often than not. I like GTR exhaust tips 2 pairs of tips next to each other with a space between the pairs. I don't care for Zonda style tips, Corvette style quads, or Lexus IS-F style tips.

How do you plan on doing yours? I like the way the GTR tips look, but I'm loath to hack on my bumper to make them fit.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Here's a pic of qaud-tips on the Sedan. I really like them, however I would like them a lot more if they were both independently welded to the can, rather than split off the single exhaust tip, as these appear to be.

Plus, I think these stick out a little too far.

Name:  2011-12-30_15-12-45_498.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  236.7 KB

Last edited by Rochester; 12-09-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Let me see more pictures of those tips from the rear...
See what I mean? The tips disappear when looked at perfectly straight (and in this case, in the shadows.)

Like I said, at an angle they are gorgeous. Unique, clean and kind of domestic old-school, which is odd for an import, but it works for me. However, straight on they have zero presence. None.

Hence the compromise on single-walled, non-rolled tips.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen

I don't know how I feel about quad tips. Rather, I should say that I like them, but I see them poorly executed (in my opinion) more often than not. I like GTR exhaust tips 2 pairs of tips next to each other with a space between the pairs. I don't care for Zonda style tips, Corvette style quads, or Lexus IS-F style tips.

How do you plan on doing yours? I like the way the GTR tips look, but I'm loath to hack on my bumper to make them fit.
Well that I have to figure out yet when the right time comes and funds become available for that mod... what I think is if you really wanna execute them well and make them look good you got to modify the bumper and IMHO it is damn well worth it... rather than going cheap and thinking that some cheap looking quad tips hanging below the bumper are going to look good and executed well... also I think IS-F style tips look good but not sure how they would look on our cars... I also like Porsche Cayenne GTS or Turbo models' quad tips but dont know how that would execute on our sedans.

Here's a pic of qaud-tips on the Sedan. I really like them, however I would like them a lot more if they were both independently welded to the can, rather than split off the single exhaust tip, as these appear to be.
Rochester I know what you are saying... I would like them much more if they were both done the way you described although I dont think that's an easy or even possible task when you are originally working with single exhaust tip unless you change out the whole axle back part with the canisters to a custom made one with two independent exhaust tips which I'm sure would be a lot more costly and more than likely would affect the way a given exhaust sounds...
Old 12-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Rochester I know what you are saying... I would like them much more if they were both done the way you described although I dont think that's an easy or even possible task when you are originally working with single exhaust tip unless you change out the whole axle back part with the canisters to a custom made one with two independent exhaust tips which I'm sure would be a lot more costly and more than likely would affect the way a given exhaust sounds...
If you had access to a great mechanic, with mad welding skills, then you could custom up something with Borla mufflers. About $250 *each*, and your mechanic would have to weld hangers to the can. After which, you'd have to find the right tips to suit your plans.

It's not an inexpensive, nor easy, bolt-on project... but if you've ever heard a Borla exhaust, well, nothing compares, IMO. It is the sweet-spot of exhaust notes.

But one thing it certainly would be is unique. You'd be the only guy on the Forum with a custom Borla exhaust on the Sedan.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Turbotwiggs

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Heres a question for yall..... What do you guys think about taking a sedan and lowering it a little on so 18x9.5" rims to kinda keep a "Track Beast" look. Im a functional kinda guy and like a lighter rim and a little more tire than most for autocross and what not. I like the way 19's look but dont like the weight vs cost ratio lol. Just thought I would get yall s input.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Just made the jump on a set of wheels and tires, new. I went with avant garde M368 dolphin grey--19x8.5 +35--19x9.5 +40--245/40--275/35--expect them in a week.

I originally wanted the M310's but when I saw the M368's and their concave rear rim... i was sold.
The following users liked this post:
RexHavoc (12-09-2013)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread