G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 06:39 PM
Banshee
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I've been loving my G so much recently. Though I'd post about it.

She's got her test pipes, single exit exhaust, and silicon intake pipes by HPS and they're blue. It's a 6MT, black on black, stock wheels and height. 2013 w/ ~50k miles.

We've got some nice underpasses and tunnels here in my city and boy it sounds so damn good. Shifts so nice. Cruises so sweet.

I am coming from the Lexus world and the only thing I miss is the level of luxury Lexus gives you. Just more plush. Otherwise I love the car.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:27 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
I gotta say, the Michelin PSS are pretty cushy tires. Ride significantly softer than Bridgestone Potenza S-04. I'm not gonna say that's a good thing until I've had chance to thrash them.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:00 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I gotta say, the Michelin PSS are pretty cushy tires. Ride significantly softer than Bridgestone Potenza S-04. I'm not gonna say that's a good thing until I've had chance to thrash them.
I replaced my OE 050As with S04s, and replaced those with PSS.

Agreed the S04 had a stiffer sidewall, but I thought the PSS just had more grip, wet or dry. I'm running my front shocks stiffer with the PSS than the S04s.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:53 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
Can't make a valid comparison on grip. I went from duckfeet/S-04 to coupe 19s/PSS. There is more grip for sure but I can't separate compound contribution from greater width.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:16 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Anybody else have the VMS radiator cap cover?
  • Do you hate the text which is screenprinted on the top?
  • Have you ever tried polishing it off?
  • Have you ever tried covering it?

I've had mine for 7 years and two cars. Right away, I thought the lettering was stupid. I mean, of course it's Hot (!). I don't have issue with that, or the VMS logo. But to call it a "High Performance Aluminum Radiator Protection Cover" is pedantic. And there's nothing high-performance about a cap cover. Seriously.

So years ago, I tried covering it with a vinyl cut-out. An online friend made me a half-dozen cutouts to spec, in a variety of silver and gray patterns. It fits the space perfectly, but the letters are screen-printed on the anodized surface, and create a raised surface. Eventually, the heat and the non-flat surface causes the vinyl to bubble.

Next, I tried polishing the lettering off. But that takes a lot of polishing. I can end up with a mirror-like surface, but there seem to always be micro-scratches that I can't resolve. Plus, it's too mirror-like and shiny. I want the center circle to be darker than the surrounding gunmetal, not lighter.

Today I went after it again, polishing it forever, hopefully getting down to a really smooth surface. Then I used my last vinyl decal. For the moment, it looks fantastic. IDK how long it will hold up, though.
Just a thought, stack a few decals on top of one another? the thickness should be more resistant to the letters showing through. Maybe add the same carbon fibre you have on your brake fluid and battery cover side pieces into the circle instead of the silver. The complexity of the pattern should hide the letters well even if they come through a bit. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:19 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
not sure if he's worried about the lettering showing through.... rather the uneven surface causing poor adhesion?
Old 06-14-2017, 01:21 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Originally Posted by Nico-derm
not sure if he's worried about the lettering showing through.... rather the uneven surface causing poor adhesion?
Ah, you're right, just re-read that.

Ive seen one person machine the center part completely, so you see the original cap under the VMS cover. I have a spare one, might give it a go myself.

Last edited by hexotic; 06-14-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:27 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
John,

Any chance you tried adhesion promoter on this last decal? Might help it stay in place... or find a high temp adhesion

EDIT: Uneven surface most likely equates to trapped air. As the air heat cycles it will expand and retract... not much you can do but polish i think
Old 06-14-2017, 01:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,717 Likes on 3,523 Posts
It hadn't occurred to me to try using adhesion promoter, but as you surmised and I tend to agree... the little bubbles are inevitable if the surface isn't perfectly smooth. Here's hoping I polished it enough this time around.

I should go take a picture of current-state. It looks pretty good (for now).
Old 06-14-2017, 03:00 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Just ordered new Reman Akebono Front calipers with hardware, New Rotor blanks and pads for under 400 bucks! Right front is on back order but I can wait. Once I get the calipers its off to the powder coater. I'll do the rears later this summer.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,717 Likes on 3,523 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I should go take a picture of current-state. It looks pretty good (for now).
Here, this is what I'm talking about. The camera flash actually made the center more light in color than the surrounding gunmetal. In reality, they're pretty closely matched, just that the vinyl isn't metallic.

No matter how you cut it (no pun), a solid center looks better than the silly screenprinted text.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:11 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Wow John, that looks like it took some serious elbow grease haha. Ill definitely get around to cutting the center circle out of mine completely sometime soon. Ill post the results, see if its a direction you might consider.

On another note, if anyone is curious how those budget luxury mats are holding up, here is a pic 2500km later. Haven't cleaned or wiped them even once. Its been raining a lot, so Im fairly pleased with how they're looking. I wiped the passenger side down with a wet cloth and all of the dirt came off. Going to see how easy this slightly dirtier side cleans up over the weekend.

The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 04:26 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
I don't have coils, i have Eibach springs and KYB struts... which i only put in last year. Maybe i should check all the bolts on those too. I will also check the control arms. It really sounds like the sound is from the rear though. I'll have a friend drive the car around while i sit in the back and search for the noise.
Here are a couple of pics of what the torn control arm bushing looked like on mine once I figured out what was making the clunking noise.

Name:  IMG_1932_zpsrbouvjwn.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  158.8 KB
Name:  IMG_1931_zpsan9rqvhs.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  264.9 KB
Old 06-15-2017, 08:43 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Thanks, I'll look at mine tomorrow. I checked all my front and rear strut bolts and sway bar bolts last week, they were all good. still clunks. Also like i said before all new hotchkis bushings and energy suspension grease. But I didn't really look at the bushing closely.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:39 AM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
rather than start a new thread, figured i would ask here. Noticed this morning that when i'm at a complete stop in drive (only) i hear this subtle small rattling sound on the passenger side towards the front. The rattling isnt like metal clinking though. I didnt hear it once i started moving or in any other gear...anyone have a similar problem/know what could be going on?

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread