G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 09:20 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico-derm
If I see tastefully modded G, no matter the model, I start to wonder what the screen name is associated with it. Doesn't happen often up here in the north... VQ|North doesn't even stretch its reach this far up
Yeah, VQ North is more Toronto and a few cities around. Its growing, very quickly, but its still small.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:56 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico-derm
If I see tastefully modded G, no matter the model, I start to wonder what the screen name is associated with it. Doesn't happen often up here in the north... VQ|North doesn't even stretch its reach this far up

I'm the same way, but oddly enough out here in SoCal most of the modified G's aren't on the forums. I find they are mainly on Instagram or FaceBook. Unlike the Jeep where pretty much every Jeep owner out here is either onwranglerfoum, jeepforum or JKforum.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:23 PM
Dopeness

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Easy to identify.

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
I'm the same way, but oddly enough out here in SoCal most of the modified G's aren't on the forums. I find they are mainly on Instagram or FaceBook. Unlike the Jeep where pretty much every Jeep owner out here is either onwranglerfoum, jeepforum or JKforum.
Hahahaha I will be easy enough to identify and have already had a few people come up to me and tell me they've seen my plate online or social media. If you see me, pull up alongside me, honk 3 times, and floor your pedal on the right! Hahahaha, nah just give us a nod & a what's up. Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (06-03-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 12:06 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Meeting up with Somename on Friday. I'm very interested in getting an objective opinion about this gear swap from another 6MT Sedan owner.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:26 PM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Looking forward to it. 😀
Old 06-07-2017, 08:10 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
So i replaced all my endlinks, and sway bar bushings (and used energy suspension grease) on my Hotchkis bars... the car STILL clunks over bumps and stuff. It's so annoying, and I've got no idea what could still be causing it. Anyone got any ideas as to what could be making noise?.. I'm pretty sure its coming from the rear but it's so hard to tell.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:44 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
Bad diff bushing?
Old 06-07-2017, 09:32 PM
Dopeness

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lock rings

Originally Posted by iCrap
So i replaced all my endlinks, and sway bar bushings (and used energy suspension grease) on my Hotchkis bars... the car STILL clunks over bumps and stuff. It's so annoying, and I've got no idea what could still be causing it. Anyone got any ideas as to what could be making noise?.. I'm pretty sure its coming from the rear but it's so hard to tell.
If you have coilovers be sure to check the bottom lock rings. If they are at all loose they clunk. Only thing I could think of that I've heard in my car.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:29 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
As Dopeness mentioned, check your coilover locking/adjustment rings. This can definitely cause a bit of a rattle when going over smaller sharp bumps.

I also had what sounds like a similar issue with "clunking" several years ago. I spent countless hours over the period of at least 6 months trying to track it down. Then one day I pulled off my front upper control arms to replacement the ball joint boots and noticed that one of the upper control arm bushings was torn. Replaced it and that solved my clunking. Just something else to check the next time you are under the car. Good luck!
Old 06-08-2017, 10:03 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
I don't have coils, i have Eibach springs and KYB struts... which i only put in last year. Maybe i should check all the bolts on those too. I will also check the control arms. It really sounds like the sound is from the rear though. I'll have a friend drive the car around while i sit in the back and search for the noise.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:19 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Any good G shops in Charlotte? I know there is a SE forum but it's a ghost town... I figured there'd be more people here. I want to drop my G and get 19s or 20s but I want to see how different it looks in person.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by future62
Any good G shops in Charlotte? I know there is a SE forum but it's a ghost town... I figured there'd be more people here. I want to drop my G and get 19s or 20s but I want to see how different it looks in person.

Soho in Monroe. Motion Lab in Charlotte.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:05 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Open on the weekends? I wanna give both a visit tomorrow if I can.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:24 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by future62
Open on the weekends? I wanna give both a visit tomorrow if I can.
I think so. I'd check out their website before going in.

Motion Lab bled my clutch, Soho did my rear diff bushing.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Anybody else have the VMS radiator cap cover?
  • Do you hate the text which is screenprinted on the top?
  • Have you ever tried polishing it off?
  • Have you ever tried covering it?

I've had mine for 7 years and two cars. Right away, I thought the lettering was stupid. I mean, of course it's Hot (!). I don't have issue with that, or the VMS logo. But to call it a "High Performance Aluminum Radiator Protection Cover" is pedantic. And there's nothing high-performance about a cap cover. Seriously.

So years ago, I tried covering it with a vinyl cut-out. An online friend made me a half-dozen cutouts to spec, in a variety of silver and gray patterns. It fits the space perfectly, but the letters are screen-printed on the anodized surface, and create a raised surface. Eventually, the heat and the non-flat surface causes the vinyl to bubble.

Next, I tried polishing the lettering off. But that takes a lot of polishing. I can end up with a mirror-like surface, but there seem to always be micro-scratches that I can't resolve. Plus, it's too mirror-like and shiny. I want the center circle to be darker than the surrounding gunmetal, not lighter.

Today I went after it again, polishing it forever, hopefully getting down to a really smooth surface. Then I used my last vinyl decal. For the moment, it looks fantastic. IDK how long it will hold up, though.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-11-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread