G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 08:57 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
This is getting good You're going to be quite busy Z.
Thanks! I spent $1593 shipped for everything, which is honestly a steal. I was originally going to follow your thread on how to piece together a $1200 BBK, but I came across the Black Friday special and finally pulled the trigger.

My mom is going to be pretty mad when she sees all these parts show up at her doorstep.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:08 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 508 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
And why are you wearing those gloves?
Because it was cold outside. And brake jobs are dirty

8/32" after 10,000 miles? Are you sure it's been 10K? Because those tires have 10/32" tread to start. 10K miles should be around 4-5/32" loss for a sticky 3-season tire. So if you're at 8/32", count your blessings, man.

I've got the same little tread depth tool. Seeing your pic made me go down to the basement and measure. Fronts are at 5-6/32", and rears are at 4-5/32". I'm thinking I can get one more year out of all of them, which for me will be another 5K miles after the snows come off.

Now I know 4/32" is pretty damn low, but it's a very even wear, which is surprising considering the negative camber on those rears is over -2*. And a full set of PSS for my summer wheels would be about $1200 or thereabouts.
The gauge goes 10/32, 7/32, skipping 8/32. I think I'm a lot closer to 7/32, and a little less, like 6/32, on the inner measurement. I'm not sure the exact mileage, but it's much closer to 10,000 than 8,000 or 9,000.

It's been dipping into the mid 30s here at night, and I can certainly tell they are a little loose in the morning, which probably isn't going to help tread wear.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Nismo brake pads? Oh-h-h... very cool. Loud too, I suspect. Lego, there's a forum noob with a truly excellent and simple DIY how-to video on pad replacement, if you're interested and haven't swapped yet. How many miles on the original pads? And are you replacing the rotors, having them turned or cleaned, or just swapping pads? And yeah, those tires are *not* intended for freezing temps. Be very, very careful.

Z... if I was your Dad, I'd smack you aside the head, or probably would have already half a year ago. But since I'm not... love your build, man.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-26-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:33 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Nismo brake pads? Oh-h-h... very cool. Lego, there's a forum noob with a truly excellent and simple how-to video on pad replacement, if you're interested. How many miles on the original pads? And are you replacing the rotors, having them turned or cleaned, or just swapping pads?
I had previously been running the Infiniti R-Spec brake pads, which I assume are the same as the NISMO pads. The NISMO pads were a little cheaper. The first set of R-Spec pads wore down to the indicators in 20K, and the second set made it 20K too.

Yes. This is my third set of pads

At least they are super easy to change

I just swapped pads. I'm at 40,000 miles.

So, my brake setup consists of NISMO pads, fresh Motul RBF600 and the Z1 master cylinder brace.

And yeah, those tires are *not* intended for freezing temps. Be very careful.
The good news is it rarely gets to freezing here. Mid-high 30s in the morning (and my car is garage kept) then mid-high 40s in the afternoon is about as extreme as our winter gets. Even though it dipped that low last week, it was mid-60s when I was going home.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:42 AM
Rochester
Administrator

You bought and installed the Z1 MC Brace? When did that happen? Is there a write up on this?

Yeah, I suspect the R-spec and the Nismo are one in the same. At only 20k miles per set... IDK, man. I'm expecting a long, long life out of my OEM BBK pads. At 32k now, and don't plan on dealing with it for another couple years.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:58 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

You bought and installed the Z1 MC Brace? When did that happen? Is there a write up on this?
No write up. It's pretty straight forward.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...der-brace.html

Yeah, I suspect the R-spec and the Nismo are one in the same. At only 20k miles per set... IDK, man. I'm expecting a long, long life out of my OEM BBK pads. At 32k now, and don't plan on dealing with it for another couple years.
I don't think you would like the dust the NISMO/R-Spec pads generate. It's quite a bit. They have great pedal feel, and I've never experienced any hint of brake fade, even when driving like a complete a**.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:04 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Z... if I was your Dad, I'd smack you aside the head, or probably would have already half a year ago. But since I'm not... love your build, man.
I have a budget set aside strictly for car parts, and a savings account I don't even touch(more than half of my paycheck goes in there every month) I think my father would be proud, haha.

Crazy how much can change in a matter of days. Car is going to be completely different once the coilovers, SPL toe/camber arms and Akebono brakes are installed. Appreciate the kind words!
Old 11-26-2016, 11:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
I have a budget set aside strictly for car parts, and a savings account I don't even touch(more than half of my paycheck goes in there every month) I think my father would be proud, haha.
If first impressions matter, having met you this summer and following your story here online... yeah, he probably would. Happy holidays, Z.

Given your momentum with the car as a hobby, I wouldn't be shocked to see you buy a second set of wheels, light weight, with 3-season tires, swapping them a few times a year because of road trips.

no pressure

Point is, your mods are going to be improving the driving performance of the car, and that's the next logical mod. Or it's the first one... either way.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:35 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

If first impressions matter, having met you this summer and following your story here online... yeah, he probably would. Happy holidays, Z.

Given your momentum with the car as a hobby, I wouldn't be shocked to see you buy a second set of wheels, light weight, with 3-season tires, swapping them a few times a year because of road trips.

no pressure

Point is, your mods are going to be improving the driving performance of the car, and that's the next logical mod. Or it's the first one... either way.
Happy holidays to you as well.
I've actually started my research on a 2nd set of wheels, for 2018. A square set of 19x9.5 SSR GTX01.

The following 2 users liked this post by ZahyMatar:
2GoRNot2G (11-29-2016), VIVID (11-29-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 06:33 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Those are nice looking for sure Zahy and SSRs make some quality shoes. Those must be pretty new, haven't seen them.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:28 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Those are nice looking for sure Zahy and SSRs make some quality shoes. Those must be pretty new, haven't seen them.
Yup, they just came out this year. A couple of months ago, I'm guessing.

Wheels are the last thing on my mind, I'm very happy with my black chrome vert 19s that are currently on my car. They're unique and that's what people compliment me the most on. I'm sure I could net a decent return if I ever choose to sell them.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:34 PM
Knightjs
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Clutch?

Leaving a restaurant today on a busy road. Personally know of several people being hit pulling out here. So off goes traction control, don't want my nanny holding me back. I get on it when a hole opens up, but not dumping the clutch. Tires spin as I get straight and I go into 2nd. Well, rpm's climb but cars not getting faster. Thought it was CSC again, but I got plenty of pedal. Push it, shift again, let out the clutch.... Nothing but revs. Third try and I'm moving again but can smell what may be the clutch. But....why?? If I was riding the clutch while on the gas I get it. So what happened?
Old 11-27-2016, 09:55 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 337 Likes on 272 Posts
Now I know 4/32" is pretty damn low, but it's a very even wear, which is surprising considering the negative camber on those rears is over -2*. And a full set of PSS for my summer wheels would be about $1200 or thereabouts.
Many use simple logic and think if a tire has negative camber, it must wear quickly on the inside.

NOT TRUE! Incorrect toe will wear out a tire 10x more than -2 degrees of camber.
By the way, -2 degrees of camber is within the factory spec for my E39.

/stepping off soap box
Old 11-27-2016, 09:59 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 337 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Knightjs
Third try and I'm moving again but can smell what may be the clutch. But....why?? If I was riding the clutch while on the gas I get it. So what happened?
Something was preventing the clutch from full engagement. It is either the CSC or clutch master. Let the car sit overnight and see if there is any change in the morning.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
/stepping off soap box
Haha, no problem buddy. I'm quite content coming to a conclusion that puts off PSS replacement into Spring 2018, particularly when I've been expecting to deal with it next Spring.

You're right... it's conventional wisdom that expects huge inside wear on cambered tires, which is more about logical convenience than actual wisdom.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread