G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 07:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by pledes23
Good luck with the SPL fronts. I have to consistently keep greasing them so my car doesn't sound like it's falling apart. The exposed helm joints cause owners to have to grease them often so they don't make noise. I reached out to SPL and they don't have a fix for this problem. I'm eventually going to go back to stock front end links.
That's "Heim Joints".

The SPL front end-links have a reputation for squeaking? I didn't know that. Noted, and thanks for the heads-up, Pedro.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:15 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Good luck with the SPL fronts. I have to consistently keep greasing them so my car doesn't sound like it's falling apart. The exposed helm joints cause owners to have to grease them often so they don't make noise. I reached out to SPL and they don't have a fix for this problem. I'm eventually going to go back to stock front end links.
Originally Posted by Rochester
That's "Heim Joints".

The SPL front end-links have a reputation for squeaking? I didn't know that. Noted, and thanks for the heads-up, Pedro.

That's odd. I know several others that have been running them for quite a while without any noise or other issues. Maybe all the grease you are putting on yours is attracting dirt which is working it's way into the joint and causing them to make noise? Unlike tie-rod ends, heim joints have a self-lubricated liner that is designed to be run dry without any lubrication. I run heim joints on almost all of the suspension parts on on my Jeep and it's as quiet and squeak free as my Infiniti, and it's off-roaded almost weekly, so it doesn't stay clean.

If the noise persists another option you might want to try, Pedro, is to use some sort of graphite or PTFE (Teflon) based dry lubricant instead of grease, since these are open style joints and don't have any way to keep in the grease and seal out the dirt.

Either way, I've now replaced the OEM end links twice due to the tie-rod style joints wearing out and knocking, so I'll happily deal with a little bit of noise if it means I don't have to replace them as often!
Old 07-06-2016, 01:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Either way, I've now replaced the OEM end links twice due to the tie-rod style joints wearing out and knocking, so I'll happily deal with a little bit of noise if it means I don't have to replace them as often!
What would you estimate the mileage lifetime of an OEM end-link on a lowered G Sedan?

BTW, good advice there about graphite or Teflon-based lubricant instead of grease.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:42 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

I believe it's the aftermarket sway bars that put additional load on the OEM end-links that causes them to wear out prematurely, not the actual lowering of the car. Although, lowering the car may contribute to the problem as well. The Hotchkiss sway bars were one of the first modifications I did to the car and at just over 60K miles my second set of OEM front links has just worn out enough that it's starting to knock. So that would mean I got about 30K miles out of each set of links.

Oh, and I just reread my comment on the dry lubricants and realized how much of a run-on sentence that was. LOL
Old 07-06-2016, 01:49 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I believe it's the aftermarket sway bars that put additional load on the OEM end-links that causes them to wear out prematurely, not the actual lowering of the car.
Really? Based on nothing more than years of anecdotal evidence through these forums, I always thought it was the other way around. That it was the altered geometry that added stress to the end-links beyond intended specifications, not the connecting swaybars themselves.

And I was guessing 30K as a reasonable estimate. Nice.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:57 PM
Mkhlmnn

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Really? Based on nothing more than years of anecdotal evidence through these forums, I always thought it was the other way around. That it was the altered geometry that added stress to the end-links beyond intended specifications, not the connecting swaybars themselves.
I will.agree with 2G that the upgraded sway bars put more stress on the oem end links than lowering it does. My oem end links went out a few thousand miles after adding my eibach sways with otherwise stock suspension. The shop told me that when you remove a used oem end link the process of taking them apart from the vehicle shortens the life time dramaticlly compared to putting new end links on with the bars. But that's just my experience lol
Old 07-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

When did you install your swaybars, Mkhlmnn?

My Eibach sways went on the car when it only had 12k miles. I'm at 30K now, and everything is still solid.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:52 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
My hotchkis sways completely destroyed the endlinks, i think that took like 30k miles to happen though. I put some adjustable ones on... but again recently im hearing knocking from the rear right of the car.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:19 PM
kit71185

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
My hotchkis sways completely destroyed the endlinks, i think that took like 30k miles to happen though. I put some adjustable ones on... but again recently im hearing knocking from the rear right of the car.
By any chance is your car lowered. I doubt it breaks on oem suspension.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:20 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
It is now, but it wasn't the first time it happened.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:34 PM
pledes23
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
[quote=2GoRNot2G]That's odd. I know several others that have been running them for quite a while without any noise If the noise persists another option you might want to try, Pedro, is to use some sort of graphite or PTFE (Teflon) based dry lubricant instead of grease, since these are open style joints and don't have any way to keep in the grease and seal out the dirt.

Will definitely look into this, and give it a try. I'll report back my findings. Any specific one that you'd recommend?
Old 07-06-2016, 08:15 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

And I was guessing 30K as a reasonable estimate. Nice.

The additional torsional force exerted on the end-links from the larger sway bar will put a lot of addition force on those joints. As long there isn't any preload on the end-links/joints (i.e. one side of the car is lowered more than the other) than lowering the car shouldn't affect them much if at all. Lowering the car will only change the angle at which the joints sit, but this difference is only a matter a few degrees and shouldn't affect the joint much unless you are somehow extending the joint beyond the amount of flex/travel that the joints can handle (such as when the suspension is at full droop like when the car lifted off the ground).

Yeah, 30K seems to be common for OEM joints with aftermarket sways... And if a recall correctly you just hit 30K on your car, didn't you?!?

That's odd. I know several others that have been running them for quite a while without any noise If the noise persists another option you might want to try, Pedro, is to use some sort of graphite or PTFE (Teflon) based dry lubricant instead of grease, since these are open style joints and don't have any way to keep in the grease and seal out the dirt.

Will definitely look into this, and give it a try. I'll report back my findings. Any specific one that you'd recommend?

I have a PTFE based chain lubricant that I use for my bike that I like a lot, but I can't recall the name of it. It's in a squeeze bottle and is released in a liquid carrier that quickly evaporates once released from the bottle.

I've also used CRC PTFE based dry lubricant which is in a spray bottle that seems to work quite well. I've even used it to eliminate the squeak between my dash and windshield. You can typically find this one at AutoZone or Amazon if you prefer shopping on-line.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-03044-Lub.../dp/B0013J84BY

Last edited by 2GoRNot2G; 07-06-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:36 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by iCrap

I would also check and make sure that the end-link hasn't just come loose. It's common for the constant rotation of the sway-bar to slowly loosed the end-link nuts (typically on the sway bar side of the end-link) if they haven't been torqued down fully.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Mkhlmnn

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
John - it was at a local shop family owned in KC, They did everything besides my tune, and my oil changes. The owner said many of the nissan/infinitis he worked on failed much faster when the oem end links are broke lose and taken apart and then reinstalled, verse buying a new set.

I wonder if yours were new enough it may not have been much of an issue for anything to really to start seizing together.

I also wonder if this maybe an earlier V36 thing? I have an 07, iCrap has an 07x, and 2G has an 08s. We all have had more issues it seems like with our end links failing.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:12 PM
dmudd
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello I was wondering anyone ever put altima ser rims on their g? Also took the car on to get a quote on getting my window trim vinyl wrapped quoted 350 how does thst sound you guys?

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread