G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
A small premium price over Z1, and a four-piece design to the hardware... interesting. Thumbs up for doing something unique.

It's been 10 days since my mount and STS install, and while I certainly recognize and appreciate the changes still, it's also quickly becoming the new normal. My point being, if at first you're not sure how to process the changes, it won't take long for your perception to settle in. It's all good.

Hey Brad... if you're concerned about the NVH with the urethane Z1 mount, maybe this rubber-based British device might be just the right compromise for your 7AT.

Originally Posted by PG-v36_6MT
I was dead set on purchasing the Z1 mount, but my only reservation was the possible increase in NVH. This concern was before your positive review on the mount. Had I been more patient and waited for your review, I most likely would've bought the Z1 mount.
Since January, I was telegraphing month-over-month plans on these mods, with obligatory dining room table pictures. So it's not like I sprung it on you (no pun).

JK, buddy. I'm looking forward to your comments on installation and review after the fact. Should be a good read.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-19-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:31 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Interesting to see more than one transmission mount option.

I was going to order the Z1 mount and install it over the Memorial Day weekend, but now, I think I'll hold off until I see PGs review.

Rochester and PG--do you the packaging available that you can comment on where the mount was made?
Old 05-19-2016, 10:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Rochester and PG--do you the packaging available that you can comment on where the mount was made?
Nope, not anymore. All I have is this picture and the install instructions. Z1 is a California company... which doesn't necessarily mean the manufacturing process is domestic.

You could write them, I suppose.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Dradams13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question:
Where does everyone put their phone? That's one of the biggest things I have noticed since getting my 2011 G37x used in December. No real spot to have the phone. I put it in the cup holder area, but if I have a drink, it doesn't fit. I have a droid turbo 2 with a case. I bought a holder that goes in the CD slot for longer trips, but it looks clunky for everyday use.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:25 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Dradams13
Question:
Where does everyone put their phone? That's one of the biggest things I have noticed since getting my 2011 G37x used in December. No real spot to have the phone. I put it in the cup holder area, but if I have a drink, it doesn't fit. I have a droid turbo 2 with a case. I bought a holder that goes in the CD slot for longer trips, but it looks clunky for everyday use.
Honestly, my phone stays in my pocket while driving. I have the Moto X Pure Edition 2015. Their are too many other "drivers" not paying attention on the road that I need to mitigate.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:25 PM
VQpoppa
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Door pocket, grab handle, cup holder, pass seat, duct tape it and throw it in the trunk.
The following users liked this post:
Dradams13 (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 12:27 PM
Dradams13

Originally Posted by ShuuraRG
Honestly, my phone stay in my pocket while driving. Their are too many other "drivers" not paying attention on the road that I need to mitigate.
My phone is a bit big to have in my pocket. Normally I carry my phone in my back pocket, but that's not fun to sit on and drive.
But yes, I drive in the city and you have to be on the lookout for idiots at all times.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:29 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by VQpoppa
Door pocket, grab handle, cup holder, pass seat, duct tape it and throw it in the trunk.
Haha!! The door pocket is a great place for it! If forgotten, it'll be easy to find, and it's out-of-site-out-of-mind!
The following users liked this post:
VQpoppa (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Nope, not anymore. All I have is this picture and the install instructions. Z1 is a California company... which doesn't necessarily mean the manufacturing process is domestic.

You could write them, I suppose.
Thanks. I emailed Z1. The Vibra-Technics mount is made in Corby, England. If the Z1 is made in China this kinda makes my decision easier. Although I still might wait for PGs feedback and do the RJM pedal as my Memorial Day weekend/June mod.

Originally Posted by Dradams13
Question:
You drink in the car

I use the cup holder for my iPhone 6s. No drinks in the car.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

As long as it's manufactured to specs and satisfies QC, the country of origin is irrelevant. Particularly something so simple.

But if I'm being honest... if I knew about this UK component beforehand, I probably would have bought it instead, out of concerns for NVH. However, hindsight has me very happy with the way things worked out, so it's all good. Like I said, the new normal sinks in pretty quick, and in a 6MT I think this is good NVH.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-19-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:46 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
As long as it's manufactured to specs and satisfies QC, the country of origin is irrelevant. Particularly something so simple.
Probably. But if I have 2 similar options with a negligible price difference, I'll choose the one not made in China. I recognize I'm in an extreme minority with that opinion.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:53 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
I've come across speed-bumps, speed-humps, traffic-calming, traffic-chokers and now may I present:

That was a new one for me!!!

Sean
Old 05-19-2016, 01:59 PM
VQpoppa
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
We have a lot of those tables down here.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:17 PM
Dradams13

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
You drink in the car

I use the cup holder for my iPhone 6s. No drinks in the car.

Yes, I am on the road often. Coffee, water, soda. I bought the car used. It didn't have a perfect interior when I bought it. Tan Leather interior and not so tan anymore floor carpet. If I had it new it might be a different story.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:30 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
I have a mount that goes in the CD player. I never play CDs, so it works better than a mount that requires sacrificing an AC vent. I use the phone for navigation and traffic reporting (waze). That location puts it in a spot I can quickly glance at without having my eyes off the road long, and I can reach without having to take my hand off the shifter (it's A/T, but old habits die hard). I'll take a picture of it next time I'm there and have another phone for photos. It's not very bulky, and stays very secure, with no bouncing/jostling, etc. It has foam padding you can put on the parts that go in the CD player to not cause any damage.
It's this one. It's this one.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread