G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 01:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by ColumbiaSkinny
Your shifter height is going to be shorter than the one in the video Roch?
Supposedly 1/4" to 1/2". None too keen on it being shorter, just having a shorter throw with a more engaged feel to it. But one step at a time, got to get it installed first. We'll see.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:55 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Ah, i see. I know you've been talking about this for awhile and i've seen your shifter pic posted before. Just not from that angle. It looks, from the angle in the video, to be pretty short as is but there's room there for a shorter throw for sure. I think you're going to really like the new set up....
Old 05-03-2016, 03:46 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Falker11
Tossing around the idea of doing vinyl overlays my the tails, and maybe headlights. GTR style.

Experiences, thoughts, impressions?
Do it I got them and happy with them and if you dont want it in the future just take them out, had a Vynil shop install mine
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Chat Thread-photo67.jpg   Sedan Chat Thread-photo33.jpg   Sedan Chat Thread-photo834.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Falker11 (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 03:46 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Supposedly 1/4" to 1/2". None too keen on it being shorter, just having a shorter throw with a more engaged feel to it.
RE: "More engaged feel"... Are you trying to make the shifter feel like a car from your past, or just better than it is.

I find the G37 shifter is a little buzzy, but has a nice solid mechanical feel.
I wouldn't want my shifts 33% stiffer, but look forward to your feedback.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Falker11
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricio1991
Do it I got them and happy with them and if you dont want it in the future just take them out, had a Vynil shop install mine
that looks real nice.
I am leaning towards this option for now until I have 180 do my lights and tails.

are those the opaque GTR style? I am thinking i'll do the 6/10 GTR
Old 05-03-2016, 04:30 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Falker11
that looks real nice.
I am leaning towards this option for now until I have 180 do my lights and tails.

are those the opaque GTR style? I am thinking i'll do the 6/10 GTR
Yes they are opaque black GTR style
Old 05-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Yes they are opaque black GTR style
Andrew the guy that makes them told me to notice the GTR style to get 20 percent or opaque black and in happy wth them I had a Vynil place install mine
Old 05-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Falker11
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Andrew the guy that makes them told me to notice the GTR style to get 20 percent or opaque black and in happy wth them I had a Vynil place install mine
thanks! - yeah i think i meant to say i was leaning for those 20% ones.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
RE: "More engaged feel"... Are you trying to make the shifter feel like a car from your past, or just better than it is.

I find the G37 shifter is a little buzzy, but has a nice solid mechanical feel.
I wouldn't want my shifts 33% stiffer, but look forward to your feedback.
Well, it's not so much a goal as it is me hoping I like the feel of the shifter more than OEM. But honestly, I think the OEM shifter is fine, moreso with the titanium ****. The bottom of the TWM shifter is a stainless steel bushing with SS ball bearings. I honestly don't know how much this changes the feel of the shifter... we'll see.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Thanks, sonic!

I just dropped off the STS, and the Z1 transmission mount, at the mechanic's for him to look at with the instructions. Installation is scheduled for next Monday, so I'll be removing the console this weekend. As expected, he gave me crap for not doing the STS myself.
Taking the console apart and putting it back together is like 2/3 the install.

But, FWIW, you have to get the car up pretty high to get under the transmission and unbolt the shifter. And the rubber dust boot was a bitch to get back on.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:39 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
I found 2 used K&N drop in filters for $60. If they look to be ok, I will pick them up. I plan to measure MAF voltage and intake manifold vacuum before and after to see it there is any difference AND will be getting a before/after dyno, just for kicks. One 370z post I found showed 10 HP gain with the K&N drop ins. Sounds a little too high to me.

I will also be doing a before/after dyno with when my Stillen catback arrives at the end of the month. Hmmm maybe I'll add in factory filter vs K&N with Stillen dyno...
Old 05-04-2016, 07:33 AM
ColumbiaSkinny

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
I found 2 used K&N drop in filters for $60. If they look to be ok, I will pick them up. I plan to measure MAF voltage and intake manifold vacuum before and after to see it there is any difference AND will be getting a before/after dyno, just for kicks. One 370z post I found showed 10 HP gain with the K&N drop ins. Sounds a little too high to me.

I will also be doing a before/after dyno with when my Stillen catback arrives at the end of the month. Hmmm maybe I'll add in factory filter vs K&N with Stillen dyno...
Yes, all of the above dyno....

That would be great to see Sonic if you end up doing that with the K&Ns. Personally i'd look forward to those results.

I'm currently running K&N drop-ins with Mishimoto intake tubes + FI CBE. I've read somewhere or someone posted a graph i think showing where the intake tubes + K&N drop-ins produce about 6whp.

I'd be much more interested to see what a member here got on a dyno with similar mods.

Just to add, i don't oil my K&Ns. I de-oil them from when i purchase them brand new, blow the oil off of the filters before putting them in, and clean them every 1k miles. I plan on getting new filters this month because the multi-layer cotton screen does get worn. I also check my throttle bodies for dirt and gunk since their so easy to get to to check. So far the TB still look good. But i also have low miles on my G. I've been running the K&Ns for about 10k miles.

Performance difference? I didn't notice....

Sound difference? That i did notice....
Old 05-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ColumbiaSkinny
clean them every 1k miles.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, particularly with pollen season upon us. But still... every 1000 miles? Pretty dusty where you live? Lot of dirt roads?
Old 05-04-2016, 07:53 AM
ColumbiaSkinny

Not that there's anything wrong with that, particularly with pollen season upon us. But still... every 1000 miles? Pretty dusty where you live? Lot of dirt roads?
There is a renovation for a new Sheriff's Department being built across the street where i live that use to be a Kroger with lots of construction going on. Lots of dirt/debris. A little bit of the reason i clean them often.

It takes me about a about a month to put 1k miles on my car, give or take. By that time you would be surprised at how much dirt the panel filters can suck in through that hole during that time. And since i'm running a thinner filter i just like to make sure it's clean and i'm getting the maximum performance from these performance filters. It's a quick and easy process. And a little piece of mind never hurts....
Old 05-04-2016, 03:46 PM
bigmike35nj

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I ordered aam new intake yesterday and received them today. They will be installed this weekend. Right now my car is in the shop getting dc headers installed for tomorrow. This is a busy weekend. Can't wait. Will do a review in the intakes. I can only compare them to r2c which I had a couple years ago and sold. I'm also just swapped out fi rhfc for some berks hfc. I don't post to much because I don't do mods to often. I'm also doing the tail light mod from diode dynamics. Oh yeah. I can't forget about mother day on Sunday
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Chat Thread-image.jpeg  

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread