G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 02:15 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Good to hear. All the $$ saved will help pay for more car toys (that is once the meidcal bills are paid off). Did the battery short circuit against some keys or something?

I completely agree about the phone charging. I've never been comfortable leaving them charge over night either.
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 02:19 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
If you're wondering about how to deal with your shark fin, I've recently read in some thread here that you can just buy an OEM replacement cap in Obsidian Black. It makes so much sense.

Other than that tip... I got nothing. Pretty sure every single one of us has weighed the merits of that mod more than once.
I will be actually doing that today, installing my shark fin. I tried wrapping my shark fin twice, and they were imperfect. The fins can be had on ebay for $40-$60. If your car has navi, make sure the fin you buy has a green connector. the brown indicates the non navi
Old 04-08-2016, 02:27 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Good to hear. All the $$ saved will help pay for more car toys (that is once the meidcal bills are paid off). Did the battery short circuit against some keys or something?

I completely agree about the phone charging. I've never been comfortable leaving them charge over night either.
I'm not sure it might have short circuited or not , there have been a few cases of this happening apparently but I also have heard from a few people that they had those batteries overheating in their pockets and such.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Wow, Mike, IDK what to say. That looks horrific.

All things considered, you picked a good week not to shave your legs.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:59 PM
TannerG

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
I'm not sure it might have short circuited or not , there have been a few cases of this happening apparently but I also have heard from a few people that they had those batteries overheating in their pockets and such.
Good grief im glad you're more or less okay other than the burns. I wonder what kind of batteries they use on those things. You should make a lawsuit out of it man.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:08 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
I will be actually doing that today, installing my shark fin. I tried wrapping my shark fin twice, and they were imperfect. The fins can be had on ebay for $40-$60. If your car has navi, make sure the fin you buy has a green connector. the brown indicates the non navi
Thanks, Mac, for the tip on the navi. I'm one who can sometimes jump right in without checking the depth.

Sean
Old 04-08-2016, 03:16 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I used to import lithium batteries for hobby grade RC cars (the real ones, not Radio Shack specials) and graph their discharge curves before reselling.
I'd put some considerable strain on them and always used these:

Amazon.com: lipo sack

If you're that worried about your phone, tuck it in this each night. I've seen BIG lipos (like 6500mah vs the 2000mah your phone battery is) catch fire in these and all it did was smoke out the room.

Get well.
ZOSTER33 (04-09-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 05:38 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by VIVID
This post will cover two topics so as to avoid charges of wh*rin' it up.

=> Mike I'm wishing you a speedy recovery. Just looking at your pics is painful for me. I feel for you. Its timely as well. I was ready to go out and research vaping as an alternative pastime. Maybe I should rethink?

=> I'm seriously entertaining a gloss black roof wrap. I've seen a couple VR A54 coupes. Anyone see some of a sedan? The MW looks great IMO.

Also, I hope it goes without saying, any impressions or feedback on either vaping or roof wrapping are welcomed.

Thanks - Sean

Sean,

I recently had my roof wrapped with xPel PPF film (basically the same stuff as their clear bra film) that is painted gloss black and fully clear-coated. They released the new painted PPF films at SEMA and I was the first car in my area to use it. When applied properly t looks just like a painted surface (because it is) but it is fully removable/reversible if you ever decide you don't like the black anymore. I just purchased a used shark fin antenna in black for around $50 from eBay rather than trying to wrap my original one. Here are a few pics.

Name:  IMG_4443_zpsv4hzl8rc.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  163.2 KBName:  IMG_4444_zpsluzmphoa.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  96.7 KBName:  IMG_4440_zps238kiqzt.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  210.8 KB
Name:  IMG_4530_zpsdnfrguav.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  183.8 KB

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
It's much worse than I thought :/ second and THIRD degree burns , I will need a surgery and skin grafts... Thanks for all the wishes guys , appreciate it a lot. Vaping did help me quit smoking indeed, but well didn't end too well in the end

Wow, Mike. Guess it could always be worse, but that looks VERY painful. I wish you a speedy recovery!
VIVID (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 05:46 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
typical day huh? just parking next to an Aventador? haha.

looks great though
Old 04-08-2016, 05:51 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Gregor12
Damn sir, props for tackling a wire tuck. That's one thing I haven't touched yet lol.

Also, with the stillen kit you upgraded injectors right? Would that throw off the factory MPG reader?
Originally Posted by Epiphany
I don't know about Infiniti specifically, but putting in larger injectors will generally make the car think it's being more efficient than it is because they measure how many times the injector fires, not how much it flows each time.

Yes, GTM did use larger injectors and because of the difference in duty cycle the computer will no longer accurately indicate the correct gas mileage... It typically shows 45 - 50 mpg's or more. So I have to use the old fashioned method of using the trip odometer and topping off the tank before and after for calculating gas mileage... although not a perfect method it gives me a pretty close estimation of my actual gas mileage. For example, on my last trip to Vegas cruising around 80 mph the entire time I drove a little over 250 miles on less than 8 gallons. I can't recall the exact amount it took to refill the tank, but I think the actual calculation came out to be just a little over 32 miles per gallon.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Absolutely. If you do this, pretty sure that would be a first for this forum.
Sounds like it would probably be useful for other members then. I'll try and take some more detailed pictures when I do the driver's side tuck and then I can put together a full DIY.

Originally Posted by ShuuraRG
I've checked with Sebastian, and a re-tune is only $100. That's easily doable should I add anything more after my initial tune.
Good deal! That's very cheap for a retune. "Almost" makes me wish I still lived in Ohio.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:00 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by IracknBack
I used to import lithium batteries for hobby grade RC cars (the real ones, not Radio Shack specials) and graph their discharge curves before reselling.
I'd put some considerable strain on them and always used these:

Amazon.com: lipo sack

If you're that worried about your phone, tuck it in this each night. I've seen BIG lipos (like 6500mah vs the 2000mah your phone battery is) catch fire in these and all it did was smoke out the room.

Get well.

Very cool stuff! I was really big into R/C cars back in the 80's. I raced 1/10th scale off-road (started with an RC10 then went to a JRS2) and even had a full ride (sponsorship) from Team Losi, Novak, and several other companies. I did as well as finishing 1st in the B-Main at the National Championships one year. Back then we mostly used NiCad batteries and even some NiMH batteries, but I bet if you get them to discharge fast enough the Lithium batteries are probably the way to go now.

Originally Posted by IracknBack
typical day huh? just parking next to an Aventador? haha.

looks great though

Hahaha. That picture was actually taken at the shop that did the roof wrap (he does all of my clear bra work and window tinting). Below is another picture showing the Carrera GT that was parked in his other garage! These types of exotic cars are a lot more common here in SoCal than in most other parts of the country, so you'd be surprised how often you see them. One of the guys in my car club even has a McLaren and also just bought a Lamborghini Huracan!

Name:  IMG_4441_zpsw0hurqhy.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  156.3 KB
Old 04-09-2016, 10:17 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Holy crap Mike! That sounds and looks so painful and horrible. Wishing you a good and quick recovery man!
Old 04-09-2016, 04:01 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
For those who want to meet up in Jersey this coming week, would Thursday or Friday work better? Should I make an events page?
Old 04-10-2016, 12:46 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
what do you guys think of these lights. Too much? or disco disco bang bang?
I love the DRL/Turn Signal strip, probably wouldnt do the disco ball/pride parade halo though.
Facebook Post

Last edited by hexotic; 04-10-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:51 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
what do you guys think of these lights. Too much? or disco disco bang bang?
https://www.facebook.com/jon.gabreny...3394176764560/
hmmm... I can see it used as an attraction method at car shows. Though I probably wouldn't do it on my car, I kinda like it!

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread