G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 01:40 AM
Baby Jumpman
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Go to manhasset, they are mod friendly. When I was dropped on tein s techs my local dealership (competition in smithtown) didn't even question me. I told the tech the rear differential was stained and he said it was covered under warranty and they'd replace the subframe but he needed to make sure my car would make it up on the lift being lowered.

Mike, did you have your keys or loose change in the same pocket as the battery? Wishing you a fast recovery.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:49 AM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
Thanks guys. I wish I could tell you what happened, what I do know is that the extra battery for the vape that I had in my cargo pocket burst out in flames kind of like a flare setting my pants on fire all after literally getting into work vehicle and having it in reverse... I was shocked and it happened so quick that I jumped out without realizing the vehicle was in reverse , but I do not remember whether I put it out with my hand(which got a little burned too) before getting back in to stop it and put in reverse or after.

Now the strong meds I took a few hours ago are wearing off and it's burning just as bad as after this happened
Wow... I'm glad that it wasn't worse. Rest and recover Mike!
Old 04-08-2016, 07:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by pledes23
John - To be honest I haven't done much research into replacing the gears and not set in stone if I want to do it.... Yet.. Also been splurging on a couple parts for the season which will all be going on within the next few weeks. The gears might be the last thing I do before tune which probably not happen until next year.
Oh, I certainly relate. It's approximately a $1500 mod in parts and labor, give or take a few bills either way. It will affect mileage and be a noticeable negative if you drive a lot of high speed highway miles (which I don't). And its a relatively uncommon mod, at least here on the G forum. Like you, my best intentions have pushed this into next year, because money got tight at the beginning of 2016.

However, I've been looking at a 4.083 swap for so many years now that I'm 100% solid on wanting to do it.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

My god, Mike. That's awful. I've a few friends who are into vapes, and will be sharing that pic.

Thanks guys. I wish I could tell you what happened, what I do know is that the extra battery for the vape that I had in my cargo pocket burst out in flames
What kind of battery? And what else was in your pocket?

Last edited by Rochester; 04-08-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:19 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Worth watching. The kid drones on quite a bit, but his explanations are solid.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:54 AM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
WTF kind of battery was it? NiCd batts very rarely blow but when they do it's extremely violent. Lithium Polymer ones catch fire but usually swell and smoke first. That is scary as hell since I imagine the battery isn't very big. Hope you get better soon.
The following users liked this post:
VIVID (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 10:36 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Mike, thanks for the description, and being ablaze while in a moving vehicle just makes it even more insane. Can't imagine what that moment was like, glad you're able to walk away from that but I'm sure you're in for a long healing process.
Hang in there bud.
Just when you thought vaping was safer than smoking
VIVID (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 10:39 AM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
How's everybody else's week going ? Second degree burn from vape spare battery
Hope you're feeling better today Mike
Old 04-08-2016, 12:49 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Roof Wrap

This post will cover two topics so as to avoid charges of wh*rin' it up.

=> Mike I'm wishing you a speedy recovery. Just looking at your pics is painful for me. I feel for you. Its timely as well. I was ready to go out and research vaping as an alternative pastime. Maybe I should rethink?

=> I'm seriously entertaining a gloss black roof wrap. I've seen a couple VR A54 coupes. Anyone see some of a sedan? The MW looks great IMO.

Also, I hope it goes without saying, any impressions or feedback on either vaping or roof wrapping are welcomed.

Thanks - Sean
Old 04-08-2016, 12:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by VIVID

=> Mike I'm wishing you a speedy recovery. Just looking at your pics is painful for me. I feel for you. Its timely as well. I was ready to go out and research vaping as an alternative pastime. Maybe I should rethink?

=> I'm seriously entertaining a gloss black roof wrap. I've seen a couple VR A54 coupes. Anyone see some of a sedan? The MW looks great IMO.

Also, I hope it goes without saying, any impressions or feedback on either vaping or roof wrapping are welcomed.

Thanks - Sean
If you're wondering about how to deal with your shark fin, I've recently read in some thread here that you can just buy an OEM replacement cap in Obsidian Black. It makes so much sense.

Other than that tip... I got nothing. Pretty sure every single one of us has weighed the merits of that mod more than once.
VIVID (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 12:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by VIVID

Thanks - Sean
Quit smoking cold turkey about 3 years ago IIRC, just do it

IMO that gloss black wrap would look great w/ your red G, and since you already have black accents it should go even better. Only pitfall is that darn sharkfin, you can cut around it leaving enough wrap to tuck under it, then attempt to wrap the fin (with some good stretch and a little heat you should be able to do it, but ) or go the long way and remove the headliner and remove the fin, then paint/wrap the fin separately, this way you'll be sure to get a better wrap underneath the fin. You could also wrap and tuck under the fin, mask it off the best you can then paint the fin.
Each option has it's pros/cons, and if you get the headliner tweaked I've heard it's hard to get back to the good factory look.
VIVID (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
Quit smoking cold turkey about 3 years ago IIRC, just do it
Good for you!

22 years ago, I quit a 10 year, pack-a-day habit cold turkey. So freaking hard to do. I think it was my third serious attempt.

Originally Posted by blnewt
Only pitfall is that darn sharkfin, you can cut around it leaving enough wrap to tuck under it, then attempt to wrap the fin (with some good stretch and a little heat you should be able to do it, but ) or go the long way and remove the headliner and remove the fin, then paint/wrap the fin separately, this way you'll be sure to get a better wrap underneath the fin. You could also wrap and tuck under the fin, mask it off the best you can then paint the fin.

Just see previous comment.
blnewt (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts

It's much worse than I thought :/ second and THIRD degree burns , I will need a surgery and skin grafts... Thanks for all the wishes guys , appreciate it a lot. Vaping did help me quit smoking indeed, but well didn't end too well in the end

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 04-08-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:06 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
@Mik3G37S That's a nasty experience. Did it motivate you to stop smoking altogether?
Old 04-08-2016, 02:11 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
@Mik3G37S That's a nasty experience. Did it motivate you to stop smoking altogether?
Yeah no vape chit for me ever again. Even my phone I won't ever charge anymore over night neither close to me nor my face but away from me because phone batteries are known for that too

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread