G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 09:41 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
You'll definitely want to get it retuned after you eventually get HFC's. I would ask them how much they will charge you for the retune. It should only be the cost of dyno time/labor, since you'll already own a license to the software. I believe my retune was "only" about $300, which was to pay for the 2-1/2 to 3 hours he spent retuning it on the dyno.

I'm going the e-tune route. I'll check with Sebastian to see what future tuning costs would be.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:46 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
I personally would've waited until I was finished with all my modifications before I purchased a tune.
I agree, but the only bolt-on mod remaining would be the HFC's before going SC. That'll happen in a year or two. Until then, I'm sure that the gains from tuning will put a smile on my face!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:02 PM
Gregor12
Registered Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts
Very nice! Can't wait to hear what kind of gains you get from the tune. I did an UpRev tune on my car right after installing BERK HFC's many, many moons ago. I ended up gaining 8 RWHP from the HFC's alone and another 28 RWHP with the tune. Plus my gas mileage improved by around 5 mpg with all of the leaning out they do with the tune. I'm still able to get well over 30 mpg on the freeway today even with my GTM SC.
Damn sir, props for tackling a wire tuck. That's one thing I haven't touched yet lol.

Also, with the stillen kit you upgraded injectors right? Would that throw off the factory MPG reader?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:05 PM
Gregor12
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ShuuraRG
I agree, but the only bolt-on mod remaining would be the HFC's before going SC. That'll happen in a year or two. Until then, I'm sure that the gains from tuning will put a smile on my face!
A tune is never bad. Plus I'm pretty sure their re-tune cost isn't as high as it originally was for the first tune. The sedans run rich as hell from factory so a tune is much needed. I put down a baseline the other day and it was 11.5's across the board.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
I may even do a DIY if there is enough interest. I can even take some more detailed pics when I do the other side.
Absolutely. If you do this, pretty sure that would be a first for this forum.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:34 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregor12
Damn sir, props for tackling a wire tuck. That's one thing I haven't touched yet lol.

Also, with the stillen kit you upgraded injectors right? Would that throw off the factory MPG reader?
I don't know about Infiniti specifically, but putting in larger injectors will generally make the car think it's being more efficient than it is because they measure how many times the injector fires, not how much it flows each time.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:14 AM
Gregor12
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Epiphany
I don't know about Infiniti specifically, but putting in larger injectors will generally make the car think it's being more efficient than it is because they measure how many times the injector fires, not how much it flows each time.
That's what I was thinking. It goes by duty cycle right? Someone. Should try it by the old school method with the odometer and see how accurate it is. I reset mine last time I filled up and the computer was almost spot on with the combined average that i calculated manually.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:07 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by ShuuraRG
I've read that with a supercharger like the Stillen kit it is recommended to use factory catalytic converters because aftermarket high flows usually end up burning up
Old 04-06-2016, 10:21 AM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
I think that might be false information. I was told that you need the OEM cats because of the CARB certification that Stillen has for that kit.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:03 AM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I bought Berk HFC recently and a Tanabe axle back. Went to have them installed (finally found a shop that didn't require the stupid EPA form I complained about in the engine thread). Now reading the posts above if I do the HFCs I will do a tune as well. My problem and hesitation is now that I was told my entire warranty on my CPO car would be voided ($2,800) if I change them out and/or retune. I bought my car a month ago. not real excited about throwing away $3k for 10-30hp........

What are the repercussions of doing this anyway and odds of hurting something that I would need the warranty for?

As for the shop that would do this, he owns (and parks out front) 5 different 911s and a Black Series (1 of 500) C63 AMG. He took me on a tour of his shop and had tons of Porsche, Ferrari, AMG cars so I'm not worried about the quality of work but more the reliability of my car. I spent money on a CPO because I can't have my car down / broken for longer than I'm at work for each day.......
Old 04-06-2016, 12:31 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by IracknBack
I bought Berk HFC recently and a Tanabe axle back. Went to have them installed (finally found a shop that didn't require the stupid EPA form I complained about in the engine thread). Now reading the posts above if I do the HFCs I will do a tune as well. My problem and hesitation is now that I was told my entire warranty on my CPO car would be voided ($2,800) if I change them out and/or retune. I bought my car a month ago. not real excited about throwing away $3k for 10-30hp........

What are the repercussions of doing this anyway and odds of hurting something that I would need the warranty for?

As for the shop that would do this, he owns (and parks out front) 5 different 911s and a Black Series (1 of 500) C63 AMG. He took me on a tour of his shop and had tons of Porsche, Ferrari, AMG cars so I'm not worried about the quality of work but more the reliability of my car. I spent money on a CPO because I can't have my car down / broken for longer than I'm at work for each day.......
HFCs alone will not void your warranty, there is even a law protecting you which states that they can only deny warranty claims if they can prove the aftermarket modification is what caused the problem. I think a tune will void your warranty. You don't need a tune with JUST HFC. But once you add intakes, manifold and all that stuff, you'd want a tune. I wouldn't worry about a tune until I'm done with my bolt-ons.
The following users liked this post:
IracknBack (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 12:44 PM
VQpoppa
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Just clicked buy on a front chin spoiler.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:04 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
HFCs alone will not void your warranty, there is even a law protecting you which states that they can only deny warranty claims if they can prove the aftermarket modification is what caused the problem. I think a tune will void your warranty. You don't need a tune with JUST HFC. But once you add intakes, manifold and all that stuff, you'd want a tune. I wouldn't worry about a tune until I'm done with my bolt-ons.

Good to know, thank you.

I have an intake I need to put on. then HFCs and Axle back. That will be it as far as performance mods until winter at least.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:11 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
You'll be okay even with a tune. Uprev comes with different tuning maps and one is always OEM so when you take the car to the dealer you switch back to stock map.

Here's a link to the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act that protects us from manufactures trying to void our warranty because we add aftermarket parts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
The following 2 users liked this post by ZOSTER33:
IracknBack (04-06-2016), VIVID (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 04:47 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

I've checked with Sebastian, and a re-tune is only $100. That's easily doable should I add anything more after my initial tune.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread