G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 07:48 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
What kind of symptoms are you experiencing?
a whirling noise and it gets louder as i accelerate also when i turn left the whirling noise is there but when i turn right it isnt. Also a little vibration in the steering wheel.

It isnt my first wheel bearing to go out
Old 04-04-2016, 10:51 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregor12
Ayyy That's what kind of wheels I'm running too lol

I highly recommend a good set of sway bars first It changes up the game big time, if you've never done sways on a car.

Add some decent 32-way adjustable coils and get her corner balanced to go with the sways and it will drop your jaw lol. A lot of people just buy coils and slam it expecting it to handle better but actually makes it handle like ****. You want your LCA's to be almost parallel to the ground and then just stiffen the suspension to keep it from rolling. From what I understand, when you go too low it throws the suspension out of geometry. Only way to go real low and do it is to buy a roll-kit or something like that. It's Been to long to remember technical terms lol.

Here's a good read... It's a lot. But good haha
The Ultimate Guide to Suspension and Handling Part IX: It?s All in the Geometry - The Roll Center
NICE. Coupe 19 Gang
Love the headlights and stance.

Jumping the gun, but thinking I'll start with intakes and sway bars. Coils would be a big move (for me), but I think the sways may tip me over the edge for suspension mods, so we'll see. Until then, will be scouring the forums. Appreciate the tips
Old 04-05-2016, 12:14 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
NICE. Coupe 19 Gang

Jumping the gun, but thinking I'll start with intakes and sway bars. Coils would be a big move (for me), but I think the sways may tip me over the edge for suspension mods, so we'll see. Until then, will be scouring the forums. Appreciate the tips
Don't spend the money on a intake yet. Takeda/Stillen G3 will both run you anywhere from $450-$550. They are the only true cold air intakes worth getting but the gains are minimal compared to buying a high-flow cat.

You can buy Z1 HFC for about $400 shipped and you will gain much more power and tq all over the rev range compared to just a 'intake'.

I would buy intakes after you get High-flow cats and a cat-back exhaust.

Sway bars are a MUST. Hotchkis sway bars were the very 1st mod I did to my G37S and it made a world of difference. You will notice it everyday when you are driving.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:12 AM
Gregor12
Registered Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
NICE. Coupe 19 Gang

I just recognized who you are by the grill Lolo I still want to do something with it. But l I feel you on that, that's why I'm on springs for now! Intakes aren't a bad mod. I always enjoy the scream at redline lol. You could pick up some used short Rams for cheap on here. If you're looking to save some loot, I went with Godspeed sways and I like them a lot. Think they were about 115 bucks shipped. Here's a chart that helped me decided

Name:  E3F8E7BB-C29E-46C5-915E-BBEEA090907C_zps0vrgiict.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  172.6 KB
Old 04-05-2016, 11:47 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Interesting chart, got a source link? What do the values Af, Ai, Ar represent (units?) ?

IMO, you can't really compare sway bars by diameter or wall thickness. Need to know their spring rate, and if spring rates are linear or progressive. What does the notes column mean - is it referring to the sway bar tubing wall thickness?
Old 04-05-2016, 12:15 PM
Gregor12
Registered Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Interesting chart, got a source link? What do the values Af, Ai, Ar represent (units?) ?

IMO, you can't really compare sway bars by diameter or wall thickness. Need to know their spring rate, and if spring rates are linear or progressive. What does the notes column mean - is it referring to the sway bar tubing wall thickness?
Idk I tried to figure that out myself lol and I understand that but this is just a comparison in diameter. I think they're ordered in stiffness from greatest to least. I found it on the370z.com. Here's what he said.

. I assumed that the stock and Stillen bars had been measured, so I took a look at common chrome moly tubing wall thicknesses compared to the stock and Stillen figures and made calculations based upon the common tube sizes for the others. Also, I'm not sure what the mm^4 figures indicate, unless each bars length was considered for a volume comparison. This and the other chart really compare tubing area as opposed to spring rate increase over stock. But it does provide a comparison of sorts.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:26 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregor12
Tried searching but couldn't find much. Has anyone color matched the stock chrome "spoiler"? I've got a spare one and I'm thinking about color matching it
Go to automotivetouchuppaint.com and select the QAA code. It's $40 for the 2 aerosol cans since we have triple stage paint. Haze the stock chrome, and spray the paint. A body shop will charge at least $120, from my experience shopping around.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:07 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Here's my G getting a final adjustment on the coil-overs as it sits behind Chris Forsberg's Z in its 2016 Formula Drift livery. That Z is ready to go out and do battle.

Now they have some time for us old guys with family cars LOL. MA Motorsports does great work and they're alway super cool. They've worked with me on all the major mods by making suggestions and teaching a lot!!! Because...well, they know their sh*t.

Sean
The following 3 users liked this post by VIVID:
ColumbiaSkinny (04-05-2016), ShuuraRG (04-05-2016), the93owner (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 01:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Holy crap, Sean! That's where you've been taking your Sedan? Granted, that looks like a Ford Escape on the lift next to you, but still... yikes! Those aren't casual daily drivers in that shop.

My mechanic would kill to have a stable of customers like that. That can't be inexpensive service.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:31 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
That Ford Escape looks a bit out of place
Old 04-05-2016, 01:34 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Holy crap, Sean! That's where you've been taking your Sedan? Granted, that looks like a Ford Escape on the lift next to you, but still... yikes! Those aren't casual daily drivers in that shop.

My mechanic would kill to have a stable of customers like that. That can't be inexpensive service.
Yep. It's his GF's Escape. Quite a story behind that when it came in earlier in the AM....it went on and on...quite funny for us, not for him.

Well, I do know it's not cheap, but TBH I don't know what one should be charged for the perfect install of FI exhaust stuff, FA coils, you know, good parts that need to be hooked up properly by people who know what's, what.

That's a rarity, I've come to find out...the hard way.

Sean
Old 04-05-2016, 01:43 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Lol... I was driving around a few days ago looking for a place which sells car paint, turn a corner and run into THIS

There are some rich people here in MD lmao:

And yes that's a goddamn F40

Old 04-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by VIVID
Yep. It's his GF's Escape. Quite a story behind that when it came in earlier in the AM....it went on and on...quite funny for us, not for him.

Well, I do know it's not cheap, but TBH I don't know what one should be charged for the perfect install of FI exhaust stuff, FA coils, you know, good parts that need to be hooked up properly by people who know what's, what.

That's a rarity, I've come to find out...the hard way.

Sean
I suppose I can relate, somewhat. In a perfect world I would have my own lift and proper tools, and I would learn how to do things on the job. Or I could be a kid again... swapping exhaust manifolds, doing my own brakes, rebuilding the carb, installing headers with nothing more than a cheap set of mixed tools from my Dad's basement.

Think I'm jelly more for my mechanic than me. That's the kind of shop he dreamed of when he started, but it's certainly not what he ended up with. I know of two speed shops in my area that work on cars like that, and truth is IDK what they charge. I just keep going back to my guy so that he can mock me endlessly. It's fun.
The following users liked this post:
VIVID (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 01:53 PM
TannerG

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
Lol... I was driving around a few days ago looking for a place which sells car paint, turn a corner and run into THIS

There are some rich people here in MD lmao:

And yes that's a goddamn F40

That might be the most money I've seen in one place before...
Old 04-05-2016, 01:55 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
^ oh same here for sure. That's easily several million. There were even MORE parked outside!

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread