G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
I mean, parking brake *shoes*. They're shoes, not calipers. My bad.

Here's the thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...6mt-sedan.html
Old 03-30-2016, 12:33 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
Not in my driveway, but driving to work I have to angle a few road entrances. The front lip doesn't make the front end dramatically lower, I think the fangs maybe protrude another half inch or so? Rochester, I'd park your car at it's closest contact point on your driveway and measure how much clearance you have.

Driving in downtown Austin, there are some sketchy entrances to restaurants and the most damage I have done is to my exhaust.
No problems when you have enough room to angle your car while driving in. My driveway was made back in 1935 so it is very narrow so no room for me to maneuver I don't know if John has the same problem at his house?
Old 03-30-2016, 12:44 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by xpcgamer
Damn squeaking is driving me BONKERS! Anybody with Tein Basis have any squeaking in the rear? No its not my Sways. I greased them with heavy silicon grease the other day and as soon as I pulled out the garage I heard it again. Think it could be the rear top hats?
I have Tein Basis, but no squeaking at all. I don't think it would be the top hats unless the bolts are loose as they don't really move.

What type of sways do you have? I had a set of Eibach on my Evo and they squeaked all the time. I finally had to switch to waterproof grease. Have you put any grease between the sway bar bushing and the sway bar mount?

Squeaks can be such a pain to track down. I had a squeak that I swore was coming from my dash and it literally took me a few weeks to track it down to the sunglasses in the tray by the sunroof because it happened so infrequently. Maybe try having someone push down on the back of your car to compress the suspension while you kneel down to listen or put it on a lift and try moving anything in the suspension to get it to squeak.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:48 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
the squeak is when moving or sitting still. They are eibachs and I put silicone grease all over the bushings. Might be the links thou. Haven't thought about those.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:49 PM
Rochester
Administrator

the squeak is when moving or sitting still. They are eibachs and I put silicone grease all over the bushings. Might be the links thou. Haven't thought about those.
So you're ruling out the p-brakes?
Old 03-30-2016, 07:46 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by ocie
That's the truth and I'm glad she's all right after that ordeal. My dog had gotten into a box of raisins, but ate no more than a dozen. She's a 100 pound German Shepherd, so the toxicity level is likely not enough to do any harm, but I wasn't going to risk her having any potential kidney failure.

$432 was my bill for it. Not a major setback, but certainly an unforeseen cost. I'll just run my all-seasons currently on my 18s until they actually need to be changed.

Yeah, I'm with you, definitely no reason to take any chances when you know that they ingested something that potentially harmful to them. I had that happen with a previous dog that had eaten part of a chocolate bar that my wife left out. The dog didn't show any symptoms of poisoning, but we took her to the vet anyway and they had her ingest some charcoal to soak up any toxins left in her system.

FYI... both of my current dogs are GSD's too!

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's the first I've heard about it, too. And believe me, I am VERY grateful to know about it.

Google variations on "can raisins kill my dog". Wow. I need to protect this little guy.

Awe, such a cutie! Definitely don't want that little guy ingesting anything bad for him... raisins & grapes, chocolate & coffee, onions & garlic, and even "raw" potatoes(with skin)/potato leaves are just a few foods that can be toxic to dogs when ingested in quantity. Here's a great web-site for all you dog owners: https://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/20..._dog_foods.php

Here are a couple pics of mine! Plus my wife just put in an adoption application for a Shepherd/Border Collie puppy. Ugh!

Name:  IMG_5505_zpsu8g50r8c.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  191.0 KB
Name:  IMG_5503_zpsidx1zf9g.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  159.7 KB

Last edited by 2GoRNot2G; 03-30-2016 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Updated Post. Added pics.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:59 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts

Ha, great name. Dogs can be tough to have if you're moving around a lot (like when you're in the service).

Here's Maggie. This was taken roughly a year ago:

Wow. She's beautiful! You don't see too many Black GSD's. She looks a lot like Akira. Akira was "only" 70lbs in this pic, as it was taken right after we rescued her from the shelter, but she's put on at least 10 - 15 lbs since then. I expect that she'll eventually be in the 90 - 100 lb range as well.

Name:  84132AD9-AEED-42E7-98FC-CF8121A63F5C_zpsbbeh2m8q.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  182.6 KB
The following users liked this post:
ocie (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 01:15 AM
Gregor12
Registered Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts
What's up guys. So I'm running a nismo H-pipe and mid pipe. Custom axle back using mandrel bent tubing and flanges. Anyone wanna Guess how much HP I pick up if any? Lol the anticipation is killing me.

Last edited by Gregor12; 03-31-2016 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:17 AM
Gregor12
Registered Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts
you're getting a squeak while being at a stand still?
Old 03-31-2016, 06:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gregor12
What's up guys. So I'm running a nismo H-pipe and mid pipe. Custom axle back using mandrel bent tubing and flanges. Anyone wanna Guess how much HP I pick up if any? Lol the anticipation is killing me.
OEM cats? Anecdotally, I'm going to guess 5 hp under the curve.

And this thread is about puppies... can't you tell?

Last edited by Rochester; 03-31-2016 at 06:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 06:46 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregor12
Most of your exhaust gains will come from high flow cats. Are you AWD?
Old 03-31-2016, 07:30 AM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
So you're ruling out the p-brakes?
Yeah man. I can hear it when I am backing out of the drive way. When I installed the OE top hats I used the OE boots also since they fit around the shocks better than the ones that came with Tein's. Maybe thats what is squeaking? I am out of town at the moment till tomorrow. When I get back I will sit in the car and see if I can reproduce it on video.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:10 AM
ocie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Wow. She's beautiful! You don't see too many Black GSD's. She looks a lot like Akira. Akira was "only" 70lbs in this pic, as it was taken right after we rescued her from the shelter, but she's put on at least 10 - 15 lbs since then. I expect that she'll eventually be in the 90 - 100 lb range as well.

[]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/amelillo/Animal%20Pics/84132AD9-AEED-42E7-98FC-CF8121A63F5C_zpsbbeh2m8q.jpg[/IMG]
Likewise to Akira - she's a spitting image of Maggie. I had never seen a black GSD in person until I rescued Maggie. Then I saw 3 within 3 months lol. I weighed her at the vet yesterday after her final blood draw/kidney check and she was 93. I'm bringing her down to 88 and keeping her there, she's large for a female, but she was packing on winter weight due to us not running in the winter (oops).

I would love to get another GSD, but it'll be a few years. You'll have your hands full with 3 pups!

Anyway, sorry for being so off topic. Anyone have any quick advice for painting my center caps to match my wheels?

I'm thinking I'll need:

220ish grit sand paper
400-500 grit sand paper
Matching automotive paint
Clear coat

This is my desired result:

The caps I have are chrome, seen here:

Sedan Chat Thread-z4meum0l.jpg
Old 03-31-2016, 11:37 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Anyway, sorry for being so off topic. Anyone have any quick advice for painting my center caps to match my wheels?

I'm thinking I'll need:

220ish grit sand paper
400-500 grit sand paper
Matching automotive paint
Clear coat

This is my desired result:

The caps I have are chrome, seen here:

You want the Fuji to remain chrome, but the surround to match? How are your masking skills? Hand painting will leave brush strokes (unless you're good at it) so I'd suggest taking LOTS of time and masking the Fuji perfectly.

Do you have access to a media blasting cabinet? Intricate sanding in the nooks and crannies will pose a challenge.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:20 PM
ocie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
You want the Fuji to remain chrome, but the surround to match? How are your masking skills? Hand painting will leave brush strokes (unless you're good at it) so I'd suggest taking LOTS of time and masking the Fuji perfectly.

Do you have access to a media blasting cabinet? Intricate sanding in the nooks and crannies will pose a challenge.
Correct. I figured I would go that route since that's how my gunmetal rims are currently (matching caps with chrome Fuji). It'd match the chrome Fuji and chrome borders on my Midnight Black grille.

I believe I'd be able to mask it well, but the brush strokes would be a different story. Off the top of my head, no, no access to a media blasting cabinet.

Just sanding the entire cap and painting it entirely to match my rims is an option too, though.

Last edited by ocie; 03-31-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread