G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 03:59 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
It's kind of the same thing. I've just had good results with self etching. Using 100+ won't help until you get those big scratches out. It won't even do anything.

It depends how much work you want to put into it, but after you spray your first coat, sand with 800 and spray another coat then you can start doing 1000, 1500, 2000 and then get some polish and polish that out for a super glossy finish.

Also, heat up the spray cans with hot water before you use them. helps to get a more even spray and reduce orange peel.
Will possibly give it another shot this weekend. Thanks man!
Old 03-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by VIVID
How'd that windshield washer reservoir work out for 'ya?

Great job. What do think so far?

Sean
The driver's side you can go straight at from the wheel-well. But the passenger side you have to access it from below, because of the washer bin. It helps to have the right tools... which I don't, can't find the 8mm wrench I needed, so I had to go to the hardware store. Then I snapped that single retaining bolt, and had to go to the hardware store yet again. Oh, and I snapped one of the six clips on the fog bezel. (You don't have that issue with a Journey bumper, Sean.)

(sigh)

The irony is that this isn't my first rodeo with the fogs. And yet, I completely forgot how to do this properly.

But I'm done. Everything looks great. They function, and seem as bright or brighter than stock, but it's daylight, so IDK. Plus, I have an amber window tint on the lenses, because that's what I do. And I'm sticking with it. The new tint looks better than the four year old tint, but I was expecting that. And the new light from the fogs is much more crisp and sparkly, rather than dull and diffuse.

Here's what I don't like: There's a 1/16" gap between the lens and the trim ring. It's almost an imperceptible thing, but it's there nonetheless. And the internal reflector behind the lens is this rectangular piece which sits at 5* to 10* angle, instead of being parallel to the ground. That's also not something to bother with, but I see it anyway. Lastly, when lit the tinted color dips away from amber more than the OEM light does, angling towards yellow almost. Meh.

I'd rate these definitely better than what I had, but not perfect.

I've said this many times... few things are perfect.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-17-2016 at 05:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VIVID (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 05:38 PM
Saltman
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
Sand it with like 400 grit, spray it with some self etching plastic primer (i like rustoleum stuff), sand that with 600 grit. Spray a coat or two (of paint), sand with 800 and spray a final coat. Should come out nice and shiny

I'm guessing you used some low grit like 100-200 and that's why you've ended up with those big scratches.
I'm going to have to do that. Thanks for the quick painting lesson!
Old 03-17-2016, 06:32 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Saltman
I'm going to have to do that. Thanks for the quick painting lesson!
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Will possibly give it another shot this weekend. Thanks man!
No problem
Old 03-18-2016, 09:20 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
found out yesterday that my flex pipe has a leak

guess I will be chopping and welding a new flex pipe section in

I have an ARK catback incase anyone was wondering
Old 03-18-2016, 09:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
found out yesterday that my flex pipe has a leak

guess I will be chopping and welding a new flex pipe section in

I have an ARK catback incase anyone was wondering
That's not an uncommon problem. I've seen pics here before of the flex section on the ARK Grip crushed or torn up.

The FI exhaust doesn't actually have a flex section... which I always thought was kind of unusual.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:03 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's not an uncommon problem. I've seen pics here before of the flex section on the ARK Grip crushed or torn up.

The FI exhaust doesn't actually have a flex section... which I always thought was kind of unusual.
no flex pipe in the FI exhaust?! that is unusual maybe I can just weld in a solid piece and not have to worry about a flex pipe anymore lol
Old 03-18-2016, 10:09 AM
Rochester
Administrator

no flex pipe in the FI exhaust?! that is unusual maybe I can just weld in a solid piece and not have to worry about a flex pipe anymore lol
I've seen where FI claims they don't need a flex section because their fitment is so perfect.

Could be, but it feels like marketing bluster to me.

I will say this, however: this past winter was my first with the FI catback, and when temps are around the freezing mark, this exhaust makes all kinds of creaking vibration noises until the pipes are fully warmed up. It's super loud, and a little embarrassing. But when the ambient temp gets over 50*F (or thereabouts), I don't have that problem.

It's pretty silly sometimes. The engine is cold and racing and sounding like a diesel, the exhaust is loud and creaking, and these big brakes squeak like a fire alarm until they get warmed up too. All told, when I take my car out on a quiet winters day... Luxury Car, it is not.

But then everything warms up and I'm instantly reminded why I love this car.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-18-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:24 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

that is very true. I find it hard to believe that the fitment could be better than OEM considering that OEM Y pipe does have a flex pipe in it. There are so many variables with outside temp then the temp after the car warms up.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:07 PM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
Considering you have to wait 3 months for an FI exhaust, I would actually expect fitment to be better than OEM.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:46 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I've seen where FI claims they don't need a flex section because their fitment is so perfect.

Could be, but it feels like marketing bluster to me.

I will say this, however: this past winter was my first with the FI catback, and when temps are around the freezing mark, this exhaust makes all kinds of creaking vibration noises until the pipes are fully warmed up. It's super loud, and a little embarrassing. But when the ambient temp gets over 50*F (or thereabouts), I don't have that problem.

It's pretty silly sometimes. The engine is cold and racing and sounding like a diesel, the exhaust is loud and creaking, and these big brakes squeak like a fire alarm until they get warmed up too. All told, when I take my car out on a quiet winters day... Luxury Car, it is not.

But then everything warms up and I'm instantly reminded why I love this car.
that is very true. I find it hard to believe that the fitment could be better than OEM considering that OEM Y pipe does have a flex pipe in it. There are so many variables with outside temp then the temp after the car warms up.

The flex sections are there just as much for deviations that exist from one car to the next car just as much as they are there for deviations between exhausts... That said, you can get away without the flex sections, like FI does, because the entire exhaust system from the engine back is mounted on rubber hangers which allow for some flex/movement.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:59 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Speaking of tires, just placed my order for the PSS's. Should be in stock in the next week or so. They said I have to pay for 'em in the next 2 weeks ($70 rebate), but they can mount next month. I want to get a few more thousand miles before they get swapped out. Plenty of tread for dry, but marginally dangerous in the wet.

Good time to flush the brake fluid and rear end since the car will be on jack stands. Have some PS fluid on hand to refresh too.

Great choice on the tires! You should be very happy with them!

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
I know I rarely lurk in here nowadays so since I can relate on the PSS topic, let me join the conversation by saying, c'mon no way I just find that out a day after I received my two replacement front PSS for the OEM bridgestones that I have sort of been neglecting. Where do you get that $70 rebate from? Now that being said I'll finally have PSS at all four corners as the bridgestones have gone through enough abuse

So that being said , I'm getting those mounted and balanced tomorrow, and can't wait for the weekend because these beautiful yellow pieces of hardware KW V3s are getting installed as well as front & rear SPC camber kits with toe bolts for the rear

Congrats, Mike. I know you've been waiting months to get those KW coil-overs installed. Let us know how everything turns out.

I see where he was coming from but I'm over it now.

Well, to start things off. For the price FI charges for their HFC, I think it's ridiculous that they don't include the mounting bracket. I considered Z1 HFC for over a month. Some reviews were good, some were bad. I was worried about them developing a rattle(loose substrate) over time and my car throwing a CEL. The Berk's have the mounting bracket, extended O2 bungs and are pretty popular in the G/Z community. You'll have a hiss with any HFC, so that didn't bother me much. Berk's HFC were only $455 shipped from ImportPartsPro.

What exhaust setup are you running? I only have a Tanabe Axleback so I'm hoping the Berk's help out a bit in that department.

I highly recommend the Berk HFC's, and the Berks with the Tanabe axle back is a great set up... Just enough noise without being obnoxious (Future Mod: you can also add a Tanabe Y-pipe for a bit more grunt). Try looking for a used set, though.. I just sold my lightly used set of Berk HFC's to another member on here for less then $300.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:50 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Berk's HFC are finally installed! Here's a quick rev video after driving ~70 miles with them on the car. Berk's HFC currently paired with the Tanabe Axleback. No CEL so that's good.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:15 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Never would have imagined that a leak at the flex pipe could make a $2k exhaust set up sound like a 20$ fart can from auto zone :\

but i m so happy its fixed now
Old 03-19-2016, 12:18 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Berk's HFC are finally installed! Here's a quick rev video after driving ~70 miles with them on the car. Berk's HFC currently paired with the Tanabe Axleback. No CEL so that's good.

https://youtu.be/2grp3NNunIo
No elongated hiss and you paid half of what I did, congrats!

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread