G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Berks HFC might be going on the car as early as Friday! I'm super excited.
LOL. I think your natural state of mind is Super Excited.

So... the money you "saved" by not buying proper, high-performance summer tires, you've already blown through that a few times over, haven't you? How's that hindsight feeling, Z?
Old 03-16-2016, 01:09 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
So... the money you "saved" by not buying proper, high-performance summer tires, you've already blown through that, haven't you?
Does the way I spend my money bother you that much? You've mentioned this several times and its pretty annoying. Seeing that I've put 10,000+ miles on my car within the past 6 months driving between NC and NJ, all I would be doing is eating through my tread. Also, when it comes to "high performance" tires which are made of a softer compound. They're not only affected by snow/ice... But by cold weather which would defeat the purpose. And seeing that the east coast gets relatively cold, my purchase of AS tires was perfectly justified. You don't daily you G37 so you can't even speak out on this.
The following users liked this post:
STownSaint (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 01:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Does the way I spend my money bother you that much? You've mentioned this several times and its pretty annoying.
That's the first time I've seen you get butt hurt. Didn't know you had it in you.

Please be reminded, I have also encouraged, supported, advised and complimented you countless times in your short membership here. So before you go off on someone again, I recommend you figure out how to roll with criticism through humor. Life is too short to define friendship only within the confines of continual praise.
ZahyMatar (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 01:46 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's the first time I've seen you get butt hurt. Didn't know you had it in you.

Please be reminded, I have also encouraged, supported, advised and complimented you countless times in your short membership here. So before you go off on someone again, I recommend you figure out how to roll with criticism through humor. Life is too short to define friendship only within the confines of continual praise.
I just don't see how the type of tires I purchased over 2 months ago is relevant to me getting my HFC installed. I didn't disrespect you in any way because I'm not that type of guy. It's the internet.
STownSaint (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 02:14 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
so I m going to throw my 2 cents out there cause I m kind of bored.

to be completely honest I don't know the back story but if it came down high performance tires or HFC I would have picked the HFC seeing how I have both.

I get more enjoyment out of my HFC because the way my car is set up I don't get the full extent of my tires nor do I go ripping corners in my neighborhood. if I could go back and do it all over again I would have just bought cheaper all seasons saved the money and called it a day. The way I drive the tires don't make a day and night difference. this could be the same for other members seeing how they have their cars set up as well.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:34 PM
Saltman
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts
I didn't want to waste a whole new thread on this simple question so figured better to ask it here... And I've already searched, "duckfeet, oem sport wheels, what do you do with your wheels, etc"

When upgrading your wheels, what does everyone who doesn't live up North do with the OEM ones? In my case, I have the 18" duckfeets. Do you keep them? I know for those up North, they use them for winter wheels. But for those without winter worries, do you sell them? And if so, what do you usually ask for them in good condition with good tires?

The only FS threads I found for these were 2 threads - 1 asking $450 and the other asking $1250 (black chrome). Everything else pertained to the 19" Coupe wheels.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:43 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 255 Posts
I just don't see how the type of tires I purchased over 2 months ago is relevant to me getting my HFC installed. I didn't disrespect you in any way because I'm not that type of guy. It's the internet.
Mr Rochester exhibits self promotion and a lack empathy from time to time, but don't think he means anything by it. Just the internet...
Old 03-16-2016, 08:47 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Hey Zahy, I'm looking at a hfc purchase as well, and not wanting to spend for FI RHFC. What made you go Berks over Z1? Both look good, close price, but I'm hearing less about hiss with the Z1. It's hard to tell if it happens less, or if it's just a much less popular choice.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:57 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Mr Rochester exhibits self promotion and a lack empathy from time to time, but don't think he means anything by it. Just the internet...
I see where he was coming from but I'm over it now.

Originally Posted by the_wolff
Hey Zahy, I'm looking at a hfc purchase as well, and not wanting to spend for FI RHFC. What made you go Berks over Z1? Both look good, close price, but I'm hearing less about hiss with the Z1. It's hard to tell if it happens less, or if it's just a much less popular choice.
Well, to start things off. For the price FI charges for their HFC, I think it's ridiculous that they don't include the mounting bracket. I considered Z1 HFC for over a month. Some reviews were good, some were bad. I was worried about them developing a rattle(loose substrate) over time and my car throwing a CEL. The Berk's have the mounting bracket, extended O2 bungs and are pretty popular in the G/Z community. You'll have a hiss with any HFC, so that didn't bother me much. Berk's HFC were only $455 shipped from ImportPartsPro.

What exhaust setup are you running? I only have a Tanabe Axleback so I'm hoping the Berk's help out a bit in that department.
the_wolff (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 09:20 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Well, to start things off. For the price FI charges for their HFC, I think it's ridiculous that they don't include the mounting bracket. I considered Z1 HFC for over a month. Some reviews were good, some were bad. I was worried about them developing a rattle(loose substrate) over time and my car throwing a CEL. The Berk's have the mounting bracket, extended O2 bungs and are pretty popular in the G/Z community. You'll have a hiss with any HFC, so that didn't bother me much. Berk's HFC were only $455 shipped from ImportPartsPro.

What exhaust setup are you running? I only have a Tanabe Axleback so I'm hoping the Berk's help out a bit in that department.
Great info, thanks. I've just started looking into it. I've got an Invidia Q300 on the way (found an x-modified one in our member classifieds). It should be here tomorrow. I use the car for business, so I don't mind a bit throaty, but want to keep from being obnoxious. I haven't done anything with intake yet though, so I'm on the fence about doing cats or CAI now. I'm leaning toward CAI since I can do that and the catback by myself, and I'd have a shop install the cats. I don't have budget to do both right now, so whichever doesn't get done now will probably have to wait a year.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Lack of empathy? Come on, man, you know that I feel your pain about the fitment on your front grille.

But yeah, I'll own the self-promotion knock. Truth is, whatever hobbies I once had have all faded as I aged, and the car fills that need for fun. So I take pictures, and I wordplay on the forum. And I think only barely hide the fact that I'm an unremarkable suburban Dad with way too much time on his hands.

On-topic to Z's little dust-up... I absolutely would prioritize the handling performance of expensive tires over the added grunt from high-flow cats. But since I have both, it's all academic, and undeniably subjective. Z has his opinions, I have mine, and perhaps I teased him too hard.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-16-2016 at 10:42 PM.
TannerG (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 11:13 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Speaking of tires, just placed my order for the PSS's. Should be in stock in the next week or so. They said I have to pay for 'em in the next 2 weeks ($70 rebate), but they can mount next month. I want to get a few more thousand miles before they get swapped out. Plenty of tread for dry, but marginally dangerous in the wet.

Good time to flush the brake fluid and rear end since the car will be on jack stands. Have some PS fluid on hand to refresh too.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:21 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Speaking of tires, just placed my order for the PSS's. Should be in stock in the next week or so. They said I have to pay for 'em in the next 2 weeks ($70 rebate), but they can mount next month. I want to get a few more thousand miles before they get swapped out. Plenty of tread for dry, but marginally dangerous in the wet.

Good time to flush the brake fluid and rear end since the car will be on jack stands. Have some PS fluid on hand to refresh too.

Nice work on the Michelin promo.

Who'd have thought that there would be a promo on an item they can't keep in stock? Loving it though.

Sean
Old 03-16-2016, 11:31 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Saltman
I didn't want to waste a whole new thread on this simple question so figured better to ask it here... And I've already searched, "duckfeet, oem sport wheels, what do you do with your wheels, etc"

When upgrading your wheels, what does everyone who doesn't live up North do with the OEM ones? In my case, I have the 18" duckfeets. Do you keep them? I know for those up North, they use them for winter wheels. But for those without winter worries, do you sell them? And if so, what do you usually ask for them in good condition with good tires?

The only FS threads I found for these were 2 threads - 1 asking $450 and the other asking $1250 (black chrome). Everything else pertained to the 19" Coupe wheels.
The 18s w/ good condition OEM tires should be worth around $7-800, just need to find a buyer that may be upgrading to the big brakes and needs decent wheels to clear them. If I were you I'd just keep them, then when it's time to sell your G, just put things back to stock and sell your aftermarket stuff, almost always come out better that way. This assumes you have space to store all the OEM stuff if you go on a mod binge.
Saltman (03-17-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 11:45 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo

I know I rarely lurk in here nowadays so since I can relate on the PSS topic, let me join the conversation by saying, c'mon no way I just find that out a day after I received my two replacement front PSS for the OEM bridgestones that I have sort of been neglecting. Where do you get that $70 rebate from? Now that being said I'll finally have PSS at all four corners as the bridgestones have gone through enough abuse

So that being said , I'm getting those mounted and balanced tomorrow, and can't wait for the weekend because these beautiful yellow pieces of hardware KW V3s are getting installed as well as front & rear SPC camber kits with toe bolts for the rear
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Chat Thread-photo860.jpg   Sedan Chat Thread-photo115.jpg  

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread