G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 07:29 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Not much but just trying to convince a guy that his sweet FI exhaust is not going to be a deal breaker to the wifey (because it's not that loud......)
Agreed! I have the FI CBE 2.5" with 18" resonators on my G37xS, and it's not what I would consider loud. ARK and Meisterchaft are loud by anyone's measure.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:16 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
It's been nice enough to drive home from work the last two days with the windows down making music with three pedals.

I did get a somewhat odd look from the sheriff next to me when matching revs downshifting into second approaching a red light.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Knightjs
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Seeing how Ark and FI were just mentioned, I gotta ask. Still debating on a cbe for my '11 g37S. Been leaning towards FI with Ark in second. Price has definitely been my only holdout since I'm the breadwinner and have 3 kids now(youngest 4 months). Came across a used Ark for $800 and the guy will meet me 2 hours away. I've listened to countless videos and sometimes they sound similar and other times different. Anyone that has heard both, can you describe the differences? I like a good deep sound having grown up with late 60's mustangs, and early 90's Z28's all with V8's. But with a 4 door and 3 kids I don't want interior drone or too obnoxious out back.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:21 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Knightjs
Seeing how Ark and FI were just mentioned, I gotta ask. Still debating on a cbe for my '11 g37S. Been leaning towards FI with Ark in second. Price has definitely been my only holdout since I'm the breadwinner and have 3 kids now(youngest 4 months). Came across a used Ark for $800 and the guy will meet me 2 hours away. I've listened to countless videos and sometimes they sound similar and other times different. Anyone that has heard both, can you describe the differences? I like a good deep sound having grown up with late 60's mustangs, and early 90's Z28's all with V8's. But with a 4 door and 3 kids I don't want interior drone or too obnoxious out back.
I have no first hand experience with the Ark so I can't comment on that...

But I'm in a similar situation as you. This is my family DD. Drone, rasp or obnoxious noise would see me left alone with the G at a rest stop on the way to Niagra Falls. Out of the question!!

I have FI Cats and Cat-Back with the 18" resonators. My family absolutely loves the rich mellifluous sound coming from the back. I do too. On long trips it's ideal for napping. REALLY!! But...if you 'get on it' ... Well, that's a different story.

Sean
Old 03-02-2016, 05:30 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
You could also consider the Invidia catback, some people say it's too quiet but I think it's a good sound level. Won't break the bank either, under $900 for a new one.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:37 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
I wish I could answer this non-biased, but I've only had personal experience with FI. Like you, I watched numerous videos to determine which gave the most desired exhaust note for my tastes. To me, the ARK sounds rough, noisy, and unrefined. Meisterschaft has a more super car note, but also loud. FI had the sound that suited me. All videos of its note proved such but, mostly, reading Rochester's build thread convinced me that I was on the right track. I've never been happier with a purchase! The sound is just amazing!
Old 03-02-2016, 05:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
I've heard both... Full ARK exhaust, cats and catback, and a full FI exhaust, cats and catback. The ARK is louder, and the burble in the ARK is more "thumpy", like aftermarket cams in a small block.

The FI is a more modulated sound, with better quality looking cans and tips. But that's all subjective, for sure.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:47 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
Need some help picking a color to paint my engine cover. I went to both Home Depot and Lowes and I can't find a color I like. Don't know whether to go with a red or a gunmetal/gray. Need something to do whole I wait for my Berk's HFC to arrive.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:41 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
I have a similar dilemma. I went to both places and the selection sucked. I had considered red but thought that night be too much...if you know what I mean.

I'm gonna try Ace Hardware next. I had thought about autotouchup.com, but they're expensive. I just want to walk in and have a selection of hundreds for $7.99.

Sean
Old 03-02-2016, 10:45 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by VIVID
I have a similar dilemma. I went to both places and the selection sucked. I had considered red but thought that night be too much...if you know what I mean.

I'm gonna try Ace Hardware next. I had thought about autotouchup.com, but they're expensive. I just want to walk in and have a selection of hundreds for $7.99.

Sean
I got yelled at today when I was at Home Depot because I was trying the paints out on the sample board...

I think the IPL cover looks awesome, maybe I can do something like that? Red wouldn't be bad, just needs to be the perfect shade and not glossy. Glossy red looks super tacky IMO.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:33 AM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by VIVID

Sean

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
I got yelled at today when I was at Home Depot because I was trying the paints out on the sample board...

I think the IPL cover looks awesome, maybe I can do something like that? Red wouldn't be bad, just needs to be the perfect shade and not glossy. Glossy red looks super tacky IMO.

^^Hey Vivid & Z,

I've always liked the painted engine cover look - I'm biased towards the AMG engine covers done in red. But take a look at this thread and I'm sure it'll spark some interest.....

https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...-plastics.html
Old 03-03-2016, 06:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I went through lots of sample paints with that same project. And then I ended up painting the cover twice, because my first pass just wasn't the right color.

Coincidentally, I had it off the car yesterday and was cleaning it up. Kind of getting the itch for Springtime. Three years later, and the paint has held up 100%.

Here's a tip: you know what works absolutely amazing on the black plastic? Tire gel.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:43 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I went through lots of sample paints with that same project. And then I ended up painting the cover twice, because my first pass just wasn't the right color.

Coincidentally, I had it off the car yesterday and was cleaning it up. Kind of getting the itch for Springtime. Three years later, and the paint has held up 100%.
I think if you have a white or black car, you can easily pull off a bright color. But seeing that VIVID and I have VR sedans, a bright color in the engine bay just wouldn't look right.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
I think if you have a white or black car, you can easily pull off a bright color. But seeing that VIVID and I have VR sedans, a bright color in the engine bay just wouldn't look right.
Well... Sean is doing this sunken treasure thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he color-matches his engine cover to his wheels.

That said, I agree. I think he should go with black. Maybe even piano black.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:49 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Well... Sean is doing this sunken treasure thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he color-matches his engine cover to his wheels.

That said, I agree. I think he should go with black. Maybe even piano black.
What about yellow to match those calipers?

Maybe I'll end up going with a gunmetal color. I'm gonna go look at some more stores once I get off of work.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread