G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 04:02 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
For $200 a muffler shop could probably weld your tips to straight pipes.

I can't see a performance degradation, but someone with a phd in fluid dynamics will probably be along shortly to school me

I previously had a 4th generation Firebird with a Borla cat back. Where the pipe ran over the rear axle was a split, with 4 different sized block off plates, allowing everything from a full dump to all exhaust routing through the muffler. The driver side tips were from the muffler, the passenger side from the block off plates. I don't see how this is really any different. Most of the exhaust still runs through the mufflers.
The point of purchasing an aftermarket bolt-on muffler delete is it's easily interchangeable with our OEM axle-back. I spent $100 on my muffler delete but I hacked up my OEM piping.

Originally Posted by TannerG
So not to change the subject but for those who had chrome grilles did you plasti dip the chrome one you had or did you just buy a black aftermarket grille?
If you strip the chrome, you can do a pretty good job spraying the grille with automotive grade gloss black. The more time you spend prepping, the better it will turn out. However, you might be better off dropping the grille off at a paint shop and having them spray it. Just, be sure to tape off the top and sides for them. The emblem pops right out.

edit: I have not seen, in my opinion, a job with plasti-dip that looked good on the grille. Even with glossifier, it still screams plasti-dip in a high visibility area. There is a product called Auto-dip that is supposed to be high-gloss peel able paint. Check them out, their videos showcasing their paint looks good.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:06 PM
TannerG

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
The point of purchasing an aftermarket bolt-on muffler delete is it's easily interchangeable with our OEM axle-back. I spent $100 on my muffler delete but I hacked up my OEM piping.

If you strip the chrome, you can do a pretty good job spraying the grille with automotive grade gloss black. The more time you spend prepping, the better it will turn out. However, you might be better off dropping the grille off at a paint shop and having them spray it. Just, be sure to tape off the top and sides for them. The emblem pops right out.

edit: I have not seen, in my opinion, a job with plasti-dip that looked good on the grille. Even with glossifier, it still screams plasti-dip in a high visibility area. There is a product called Auto-dip that is supposed to be high-gloss peel able paint. Check them out, their videos showcasing their paint looks good.
Thanks for the response. I think im going to try to do it with a buddy of mine who is a mechanic and has all the tools of the trade and used to work in an autobody shop (He has all the tools you'd ever want). I looked online for replacement grilles and boy are they pricey!
Old 02-25-2016, 04:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Originally Posted by TannerG
So not to change the subject but for those who had chrome grilles did you plasti dip the chrome one you had or did you just buy a black aftermarket grille?
Neither. Took it to a body shop and had the grille professionally painted.

Don't plastidip anything besides emblems that you don't want to remove in order to do it.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-25-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:47 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Either paint it or vinyl wrap it. A good wrap can look exactly like paint. Dip looks... bad.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:50 PM
TannerG

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
Either paint it or vinyl wrap it. A good wrap can look exactly like paint. Dip looks... bad.
Originally Posted by Rochester

Don't plastidip anything besides emblems that you don't want to remove in order to do it.
Okay thanks sounds good. First car I've ever had that I felt was worth modding so im new to this stuff. I certainly like the black grille rather than the chrome one that's for sure.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:13 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
+1 for paint. Dip is passable on emblems, but looks cheap and terrible on anything with a lot of surface area. To be honest, it doesn't even look that great on emblems...

Here's my grill, painted gloss black by a local body shop:
Sedan Chat Thread-wcwawqf.jpg
The following users liked this post:
TannerG (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 05:17 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

^ That looks awesome. You need to black out the chrome on the fog surrounds though.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
^ That looks awesome. You need to black out the chrome on the fog surrounds though.
I've got two sets of those rings. One set is OEM chrome, and the other was painted gloss black by thr same shop that did my grille. I think I like the chrome set better, though. Maybe because the car is MW.

This spring I'm going with the chrome rings again.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:17 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Yeah i think it depends really on the color of the car on whether or not it would look good.

I wish my car had the lower grille foglights. Not like i can add them anyways, the adaptive cruise module is in the way.

Speaking of which... where do the later models have that module? Or did they remove the feature entirely?
Old 02-25-2016, 07:05 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Thanks!

I like the fogs as they are and having a bit of chrome up front, though. The Fuji emblem, the shrouds in the headlights & fog rings all tie together. I feel like the fogs would disappear a bit too much if those were also gloss black. I've gone back & forth a lot about it. Maybe I'll change my mind once I get my 10mm spacers to FINALLY get my stance dialed in. Then I can go take some real pics with my DSLR that I can dwell over.

Last edited by lobuzz311; 02-25-2016 at 07:07 PM. Reason: I accidentally a word
Old 02-25-2016, 07:27 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Why is there so much hate towards the C Mods grill? I actually like the clean look and being able to see my Gen 3's behind it.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:32 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

To me it looks like a catfish mouth. And it just looks like parts are missing that are supposed to be there...
Different strokes for different folks.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:11 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

c mod grilles usually have terrible fitment also.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:55 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

Still love the overall look of the front of your car! Especially the amber fogs along with the matching plate. Ever had any thoughts of getting the OEM front sport lip? I've always thought that was a nice addition to the sport bumper on our cars especially if they are properly lowered.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:07 AM
JDoobie
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
19X8.5 & 9.5 Wheels and Tires

So I was price shopping the attached rim (SRT 620 19x8.5 and 9.5) and I was asked what tire size for the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I really has no idea but it was suggested to have 245/35-19 in front and 275/35-19 in back. My knowledge in this particular area is lacking and I am reading up on it but I'd like to see if anyone has any suggestions with "offset". I will also need to look up what offset mean as well.

Happy Friday.

-JDub
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Chat Thread-s-l225.jpg   Sedan Chat Thread-g37-3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread