G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 06:21 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
I'm running resonated test pipes to my Invidia Q300 and things are still a bit too quiet for me. Any of you fellas got a suggestion to add a little more noise without introducing a whole lot of drone? I'd like to keep my Invidia mufflers because of the look. I'm thinking of deleting the resonators, or adding in shorter resonators.
Partial muffler delete.

Disconnect mufflers and slip washers in between the flanges and reconnect. Introduce more noise and keep the mufflers
Old 02-25-2016, 09:19 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Partial muffler delete.

Disconnect mufflers and slip washers in between the flanges and reconnect. Introduce more noise and keep the mufflers
That's actually what I had planned next weekend to test out the volume. Prior with the OEM cats, I tried 1, 2, 3 washers and 1 washer was just loud enough...quieter than a muffler delete for sure.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:15 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

That's actually what I had planned next weekend to test out the volume. Prior with the OEM cats, I tried 1, 2, 3 washers and 1 washer was just loud enough...quieter than a muffler delete for sure.
1 washer is the sweet spot
Old 02-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
1 washer is the sweet spot
Poor man's exhaust cut-off... always open.

I think that's marvelous.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:34 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
That's like the ones I had on my boat.

It's called Captain's Call. With the flick of a switch you can route the exhaust through the outdrive into the water for quiet operation. Otherwise it goes out the back completely unhindered through the dual 4" straight pipes of a 454 Mag with headers.

It was great for scaring sailboaters. LOL.

Sean
Old 02-25-2016, 12:12 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
lol washer exhaust.... so ghetto. But hey, whatever works.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:25 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
lol washer exhaust.... so ghetto. But hey, whatever works.
Yet muffler deletes are widely accepted. Dont knock it until you try It.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Yet muffler deletes are widely accepted. Dont knock it until you try It.
Lego makes a fair point.

People who bought the Tanabe Medallion axle-back for their OEM exhaust, they should consider this washer-mod.

Or doesn't that actually work with those components? Isn't the axle-back a sleeve, not a flange? Hmm.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:54 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Actually i tried running no mufflers just to see how it sounds, and yeah it does sound good.

And @ rochester i do have the Tanabe, and yep.. it's a sleeve type thing, so you can't put a washer. if that mod worked i'd maybe do it, i just don't want any drone. I drive 100 highway miles currently everyday so that would suck.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:05 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Muffler deletes are more accepted with coupes than sedans. Hell, they make pre-made muffler deletes you can buy to bolt up. I'd be willing to bet if a company like Top Speed or AAM made muffler deletes for our cars under $200, they would be very popular. If anyone posts about muffler deletes in any of the groups I frequent on FB, they usually will get drowned in people bashing them.

One thing I am curious about though with a washer at the axle-back..will it create any degradation in performance? With partial amount of exhaust gases escaping at the leak, there would be a possibility in my mind.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:53 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Poor man's exhaust cut-off... always open.

I think that's marvelous.

That would be fun for scaring little children... Especially on a big lumpy v8.

I've heard some clips of exhaust-less g37s, like a dump would emulate, and it's LOUD!
Old 02-25-2016, 02:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by lobuzz311
I've heard some clips of exhaust-less g37s, like a dump would emulate, and it's LOUD!
I met up two summers ago with a young man who had a G37 Coupe muffler-delete. It was... interesting. Certainly better than I thought it would be. But the damn volume was pegged at 10 all the time, without let up.

I wouldn't recommend this, but at the same time I don't bash it. You have to really want the noise.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:21 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
I have the updated Y which is quieter. For comparison, a FI with 12 inch resonators and OEM cats is louder.

Yeah, even the FI exhaust was too loud for me. I've been through countless exhaust combinations on this car and still haven't found the perfect one yet. I guess I'm just a wuss when it comes noisy exhausts! Right now I'm gonna stick with my Tanabe axle back, with Tanabe Y-Pipe and OEM CATs, but might try another FI exhaust again in the future. This time with the larger resonators and OEM CATs...

Originally Posted by hexotic
Some good flux, patience and a wire clamp lol. Then heat shrink and purty wires are done I heat the stripped wire with a small torch too (kind of like when you solder copper water pipes)
Leftover skills from my past. I got into university for robotics and electrical engineering, and ended up going to university for art and design, following my passion. Best decision I have ever made. Now the skills come in handy from time to time

Good for you for following your passion. I went to school for ME and Business Admin. and wanted to be an automotive suspension design Engineer, but now I find myself owning my own company selling industrial valves... It's a good living, but definitely not my passion.

EE skills can definitely come in handy. I took enough EE classes in college to make me comfortable doing all my own electrical projects around the house and in the garage. I even built several different moving, semi-robotic Halloween decorations for a haunted house we build every year since my wife is a Halloween freak. So you'll find the uses for those types of skills can be endless. Speaking of which, I still need to have you do a few mock-ups of front headlight designs for me if the offer still stands.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:51 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Muffler deletes are more accepted with coupes than sedans. Hell, they make pre-made muffler deletes you can buy to bolt up. I'd be willing to bet if a company like Top Speed or AAM made muffler deletes for our cars under $200, they would be very popular. If anyone posts about muffler deletes in any of the groups I frequent on FB, they usually will get drowned in people bashing them.

One thing I am curious about though with a washer at the axle-back..will it create any degradation in performance? With partial amount of exhaust gases escaping at the leak, there would be a possibility in my mind.
For $200 a muffler shop could probably weld your tips to straight pipes.

I can't see a performance degradation, but someone with a phd in fluid dynamics will probably be along shortly to school me

I previously had a 4th generation Firebird with a Borla cat back. Where the pipe ran over the rear axle was a split, with 4 different sized block off plates, allowing everything from a full dump to all exhaust routing through the muffler. The driver side tips were from the muffler, the passenger side from the block off plates. I don't see how this is really any different. Most of the exhaust still runs through the mufflers.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:36 PM
TannerG

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
So not to change the subject but for those who had chrome grilles did you plasti dip the chrome one you had or did you just buy a black aftermarket grille?

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread