G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 03:39 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by xpcgamer
Just added 5 turns to each corner on my Coil's. Dropped off at the alignment shop. Lets see how it rides this afternoon. Hopefully no more scraping on the damn Speed Bumps!
Yes, hopefully no more scraping. That sucks. I only had that happen once and it was on a short speed bump. I did not even see it because it was short and unpainted and in the middle of the back lot of a building. Heard what sounded like the midpipe scrape. Not a good sound
Old 02-24-2016, 05:47 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
I'm running resonated test pipes to my Invidia Q300 and things are still a bit too quiet for me. Any of you fellas got a suggestion to add a little more noise without introducing a whole lot of drone? I'd like to keep my Invidia mufflers because of the look. I'm thinking of deleting the resonators, or adding in shorter resonators.

Last edited by MaQG37; 02-24-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:49 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
I'm running resonated test pipes to my Invidia Q300 and things are still a bit too quiet for me. Any of you fellas got a suggestion to add a little more noise with introducing a whole lot of drone? I'd like to keep my Invidia mufflers because of the look. I'm thinking of deleting the resonators, or adding in shorter resonators.
Do you still have the OEM cats? (You need a sig-line, buddy.)
Old 02-24-2016, 05:54 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

I'm running resonated test pipes to my Invidia Q300 and things are still a bit too quiet for me. Any of you fellas got a suggestion to add a little more noise with introducing a whole lot of drone? I'd like to keep my Invidia mufflers because of the look. I'm thinking of deleting the resonators, or adding in shorter resonators.
Originally Posted by Rochester
Do you still have the OEM cats? (You need a sig-line, buddy.)
No , I am running resonated test pipes.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:06 PM
Rochester
Administrator

RTP, R2C and an Invidia CBE... and it's still not loud enough?

You know, I believe getting your car tuned can change the tonal quality of your car/exhaust.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:18 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
RTP, R2C and an Invidia CBE... and it's still not loud enough?

You know, I believe getting your car tuned can change the tonal quality of your car/exhaust.
I think you are underestimating the resonators and mufflers on the Q300. Have you heard one in person?

I plan on getting a tune, but still have some mods I'd like to do before it. Z1 UIM, pulleys, and AAM CAI.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I think you are underestimating the resonators and mufflers on the Q300.
That's likely. Pretty quiet stuff, eh?

Have you heard one in person?
I think the answer is probably yes, after the last two Sedan meet-ups. But not in any way that was notable. The only exhausts that really made an impression on me were ARK and Fast Intentions.

I plan on getting a tune, but still have some mods I'd like to do before it. Z1 UIM, pulleys, and AAM CAI.
Oh I absolutely figure you'd be getting tuned someday. We're on similar paths.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:40 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Finally got around to making a second grounding kit out of much thicker ofc cable. No more cca yay! The colour is slightly darker than the previous cable, but still within a 10% shade of the rest of the engine bay. Can't wait to install it this weekend.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:33 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts

Huh? Resonated Test Pipes, and full Invidia exhaust with resonated mid-pipe and it's too quiet?!?! I scrapped this same basic set-up except with Berk HFC's after just a few months because it way definitely too loud for my tastes with a little too much drone at around 3K RPM's on the freeway. Berk HFC's with the OEM mid-pipe and Tanabe axle back was just about perfect for me, but now I'm running the OEM CATs too and its a bit too quiet for my taste.

Might I suggest pulling the cotton ***** out of your ears before driving your car next time.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:39 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by STownSaint

Is removal of OEM intakes a pain? Any pics/DIY for access to turn signals from under the hood?

I ask because I've really wanted to install switchback turn signals, but kept delaying since going through wheel well seems pretty tough, and neighbors will yell at me if I take a wheel off...
STown, you can get "access" to the turn-signal portion of the headlight with the air boxes out, but it's still not easy. Plus, if your installing switchbacks you'll need a place to mount the resistors and switchback modules, so it's much easier to just remove the inner fender liner and do everything through the fender-well... only takes about 30 minutes a side.

Name:  IMG_4422_zpsfvdqqnxx.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  220.9 KB
Old 02-24-2016, 07:43 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by hexotic
Finally got around to making a second grounding kit out of much thicker ofc cable. No more cca yay! The colour is slightly darker than the previous cable, but still within a 10% shade of the rest of the engine bay. Can't wait to install it this weekend.

Looks great, Hexotic! You must have some great soldering skills to put that together! I was an installer for custom car audio for years, so I know it can take time (and a decent soldering iron) to solder heavy gauge wire like that. Great job!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:03 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Huh? Resonated Test Pipes, and full Invidia exhaust with resonated mid-pipe and it's too quiet?!?! I scrapped this same basic set-up except with Berk HFC's after just a few months because it way definitely too loud for my tastes with a little too much drone at around 3K RPM's on the freeway. Berk HFC's with the OEM mid-pipe and Tanabe axle back was just about perfect for me, but now I'm running the OEM CATs too and its a bit too quiet for my taste.

Might I suggest pulling the cotton ***** out of your ears before driving your car next time.
I have the updated Y which is quieter. For comparison, a FI with 12 inch resonators and OEM cats is louder.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:23 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Looks great, Hexotic! You must have some great soldering skills to put that together! I was an installer for custom car audio for years, so I know it can take time (and a decent soldering iron) to solder heavy gauge wire like that. Great job!
Some good flux, patience and a wire clamp lol. Then heat shrink and purty wires are done I heat the stripped wire with a small torch too (kind of like when you solder copper water pipes)
Leftover skills from my past. I got into university for robotics and electrical engineering, and ended up going to university for art and design, following my passion. Best decision I have ever made. Now the skills come in handy from time to time
Old 02-24-2016, 09:36 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Yes, hopefully no more scraping. That sucks. I only had that happen once and it was on a short speed bump. I did not even see it because it was short and unpainted and in the middle of the back lot of a building. Heard what sounded like the midpipe scrape. Not a good sound
Probably nailed the area right around the braided flex pipes at the end of the Y pipes, those things take a beating.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:51 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Probably nailed the area right around the braided flex pipes at the end of the Y pipes, those things take a beating.
I think it was actually the flange at the back of the Y pipe. That part hangs just a bit lower on the Stillen exhaust, but it is pretty beefy. The last time I had the car in the air I could not even see where it bottomed out.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread