G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 05:17 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
you guys hear of liquid wrap? its like plastidip, but it has a glossy finish and is 5 times more durable. Peels off like vinyl wrap.

On another note, I finally did all my fluids yesterday.... its ridiculous how much of a difference there is.... car idles at 750 instead of 1100 lol, steering is smoother, brakes are smoother, shifting is seamless instead of choppy..... like driving a new car. Why didnt I do this earlier?
Glad to hear you car is running well! To what do you attribute the change in idle speed?

Myles
Old 02-21-2016, 05:24 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Well, I'd assume it's the combination of new lubrication in the transmission and both differentials. I noticed my fuel economy get better as well.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:44 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Hexotic I'm not saying your fluid changes didn't make a difference, but i don't believe it would have a impact on your idle speed. Our Gs shouldn't be idling at 1100. That's out of spec.

New trans fluid and differential fluids wouldn't have any affect on idle speed. Idle speed is determined by other means and not lubricants.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by lobuzz311
Friends don't let friends plastidip (unless it's a tool handle).
I saw an old Mitsubishi Eclipse yesterday, where some sections of his wheels were silver, and the rest was flat black like charcoal. It was tragic. I figure that most people would look at it and wonder what was going on... but I knew what it was. I knew.

Wish I didn't.
The following users liked this post:
hexotic (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 06:00 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by qmantran
Hexotic I'm not saying your fluid changes didn't make a difference, but i don't believe it would have a impact on your idle speed. Our Gs shouldn't be idling at 1100. That's out of spec.

New trans fluid and differential fluids wouldn't have any affect on idle speed. Idle speed is determined by other means and not lubricants.
Well, idling at 750 now. What else could have helped? I also cleaned my throttle bodies, and had a belt tightened.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:58 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
Well, idling at 750 now. What else could have helped? I also cleaned my throttle bodies, and had a belt tightened.
I think that's your cause right there rather than fluids.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:00 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
It could be because you cleaned your TBs.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:08 PM
Knightjs
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Question for those with the differential bushings that leaked. I have @48k miles and mine are shot. Going to the dealer tomorrow to get replaced, along with checking why the driver seat moves when braking(if they can replicate). Anyway, can those bushings let the rear end move around enough to make vibrations when braking?? I've had brake shudder for a while. Replaced all pads and had front rotors turned on the car. Still vibrates/shudders when braking. Just curious about the rear differential bushings.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:25 PM
Baby Jumpman
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
You getting brake pedal pulsation as well? I believe that could be your rear rotors although I could be wrong. Might be pad deposits or the wheel hubs weren't properly cleaned when the rotors were installed. I've also heard about over torqued lugs playing a factor.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Knightjs
Going to the dealer tomorrow to get replaced
Whiteline solid poly bushings this time around, right?
Old 02-21-2016, 08:35 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

How can you tell if your diff bushings have gone bad? I sometimes feel some strange rear end wigglyness but I don't really know what it is. I thought it could just be the alignment is off.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:38 PM
Knightjs
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Whiteline solid poly bushings this time around, right?
If they would cut them out and replace'em then yea. But under warranty they probably replace the whole assembly. I do plan on getting whatever they pull off to have on hand for next time when warranty is gone.(if they let me)That way I could diy it without being in a hurry since it's my dd.
On a side note, I have a nice service writer at the dealer who lives near my work. He meets me after work with a loaner and we swap cars. Keeps me from driving towards Atlanta in all that crazy traffic at 3pm and getting stuck in 5 pm traffic on the way home.
Edit...after looking at the diy on the bushings and how easy the 2 on the differential itself go in, maybe I could get them to use the White line if I bought them. Not sure how using the 2 poly up front would work with the rubber rear if they refused to swap it in the subframe. Hmm...

Last edited by Knightjs; 02-21-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:41 PM
Knightjs
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
How can you tell if your diff bushings have gone bad? I sometimes feel some strange rear end wigglyness but I don't really know what it is. I thought it could just be the alignment is off.
I feel/hear a clunk/thunk when accelerating hard and when downshifting. Plus I've seen the telltale streak of the fluid on the differential cover. The wigglyness you mention is what I'm wondering could be causing my vibration when braking.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:57 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Anybody recognize these?

I had a friend come down from Canada today, and he gave me these still in a sealed bag. Apparently they're switchbacks for the turn-signals. White LED when on, and Amber LED when turning. I have to say, they look pretty impressive. Don't know if I want them on the car, but it's certainly something to play with this Spring.

Now that I think about it, I don't even know how to access the turn-signal bulbs. Can that be done from the top, or do you have to go in through the wheel-well, like going after the fogs? I mean, I'll figure it out, it's not rocket science. But if anyone has any insights, speak up.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:00 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Knightjs
I feel/hear a clunk/thunk when accelerating hard and when downshifting. Plus I've seen the telltale streak of the fluid on the differential cover. The wigglyness you mention is what I'm wondering could be causing my vibration when braking.
I sometimes hear a noise from the back also. I don't have any braking vibrations though. The bottom of my car is so dirty that I couldn't tell if there was any fluid also.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Anybody recognize these?

I had a friend come down from Canada today, and he gave me these still in a sealed bag. Apparently they're switchbacks for the turn-signals. White LED when on, and Amber LED when turning. I have to say, they look pretty impressive. Don't know if I want them on the car, but it's certainly something to play with this Spring.

Now that I think about it, I don't even know how to access the turn-signal bulbs. Can that be done from the top, or do you have to go in through the wheel-well, like going after the fogs? I mean, I'll figure it out, it's not rocket science. But if anyone has any insights, speak up.

Pretty sure they are accessible from the top. Well, they are on my car but you have the newer lights so i dunno.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread