G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 04:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Originally Posted by nelledge
Um... Gentlemen, Texas gas prices are definitely nice, but notice what fuel he's using. Apples and oranges. Or should I say fossils and corncobs?
Do the math. The price on the E85 is not what he was paying.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:23 PM
TannerG

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Not to change the subject but I posted a similar question to my earlier one about buying a G37 or an Acura TL on an Acura forum and ironically the overwhelming answer was get the G37 LOL!
Old 02-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by TannerG
Not to change the subject but I posted a similar question to my earlier one about buying a G37 or an Acura TL on an Acura forum and ironically the overwhelming answer was get the G37 LOL!
They really are different cars, but the G is a stronger, better balanced RWD platform. I've always looked at the TL in the same context as the 5.5 Gen and 6.0 Gen Nissan Maxima.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:38 PM
TannerG

Originally Posted by Rochester
They really are different cars, but the G is a stronger, better balanced RWD platform. I've always looked at the TL in the same context as the 5.5 Gen and 6.0 Gen Nissan Maxima.
Yeah I agree. I am a huge Honda fan and was a fan of Acura for years but honestly the direction they have headed in has made me feel like I might not ever buy one of their products...unless the wife lets me get an NSX lol...
Old 02-18-2016, 04:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by TannerG
Yeah I agree. I am a huge Honda fan and was a fan of Acura for years but honestly the direction they have headed in has made me feel like I might not ever buy one of their products...unless the wife lets me get an NSX lol...
The NSX has held its value quite well. Getting one for a reasonable price is more difficult that you might think. And then when you do, you have a car that's gorgeous inside and out, but with 25 old tech and real-world performance on par with your basic G Sedan.

And then there's the wheel gap... which normally isn't something I bother about, but OMG it's ridiculous.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:49 PM
TannerG

The NSX has held its value quite well. Getting one for a reasonable price is more difficult that you might think. And then when you do, you have a car that's gorgeous inside and out, but with 25 old tech and real-world performance on par with your basic G Sedan.

And then there's the wheel gap... which normally isn't something I bother about, but OMG it's ridiculous.
Just announced:
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Chat Thread-2016-acura-nsx-front-three-quarters-02.jpg  
Old 02-18-2016, 04:56 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
As an engineer, I hate when I get simple math wrong. Happens all the time. This is not one of those times, buddy. It's off by 2 thousandths, but the pump display doesn't read to that precision.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:59 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
I know this isn't a popular sentiment, but I was hoping gasoline would bottom out at $4/gal or higher, so there would be economic incentive for technological change. Instead, the significant tech change was in developing new ways to extract oil.

Then again, it's easy for me to say that, since we don't drive much. And I can't deny there's a little more money in my pocket, and slower inflation on consumables...

meh

I'm partially with you regarding the high oil prices. I would actually prefer to pay a dollar or more per gallon for gas and have a more stimulated economy and more stable stock market. My company's business is particular is down about 60% since the price of oil dropped so significantly. Big spending won't be stimulated until the price of oil rises back to where is was back in 3rd and even 4th quarter last year... above $45/barrel at least.. Until then I'll be living off Ramen Noodles.

By "MY" math it works out to be exactly the .979 / gallon E85 price... $12.17 / 12.429 gallons = $.979 / gallon.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:06 PM
Rochester
Administrator

As an engineer, I hate when I get simple math wrong. Happens all the time. This is not one of those times, buddy. It's off by 2 thousandths, but the pump display doesn't read to that precision.
Uh oh. Guess what I did there?

And you know that I know that you pride yourself on math, which is why I needled you. Certainly didn't expect it to backfire, LOL.

Now I haz shame.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-18-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:06 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Haha. ME here, so I could figure this one out in my head... however, I'm getting old and my math skills aren't what they used to be so I pulled the calculator out just to double check this one and make sure I wasn't missing something. FYI... It's off by a little less than 2 ten-thousandths, not thousandths... just semantics really.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:21 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by MaQG37
For some reason, in my mind, I was picturing a hexagonal bolt. you don't happen to recall the exact bolt size do ya? From memory, it looked smaller than a 10mm
Thanks for the replies guys,just going to toss it in my toolbag once I get it off.

If I recall correctly, I believe Rochester is correct here and these bolts are M6 (6mm) thread, so the head should use a 10mm socket.

Originally Posted by lobuzz311
Welcome!

Things to consider:
- Go for the 2011 and up, they've got the updated front end.
- You can't stream BT audio if you don't have Nav, unless you get some line-in type device
- The Xs is not a real S model; no hardware goodies like brakes, suspension, etc
- Get the 6MT if you can find one
- The sedan is not an loud as the coupe G37, so if you want that sound, you will need aftermarket exhaust or do a muffler delete
- Sport seats are WAY better than the non-sport

I think that's all I've got off the top of my head.
Good luck in your search!

I agree with everything stated here, except with regards to the sport seats. I'm not a fan of my sport seats at all. I have 3 other cars and find the seats in all of them WAY more comfortable than the sport seats in my G, especially the factory Recaro's in my Porsche. And I am not a huge guy either (5'10" and about 165), so it's not that the seats are too narrow, they are just extremely uncomfortable over long hauls... at least in my opinion. I do like the extra adjustments the sport seats provide, plus the extendable thigh support is a nice feature too, but it's not going stop me from buying different seats for the car... already have something on order.

I will add that if you aren't looking for a 6MT or X (AWD) Model, then I would highly recommend looking for a car with the Sport Package (I know, even after I just said how uncomfortable the sport seats are) if only just for the upgraded Akebono brakes, which are SO worth it... this alone will cost you $1K - $1500 minimum to add to the car later on... ask me how I know.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:35 PM
nelledge
n00b

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Haha. ME here, so I could figure this one out in my head... however, I'm getting old and my math skills aren't what they used to be so I pulled the calculator out just to double check this one and make sure I wasn't missing something. FYI... It's off by a little less than 2 ten-thousandths, not thousandths... just semantics really.
Hey! Fellow ME. My HP35s wants to argue with your calc. $12.168.
12.17-12.168=.002 Let me edit this to clarify my calc is setup to round for real world precision. Well, because I'm not a lab engineer. We use 3 sig. Pump gives .001 precision, I give .001 precision. Unfortunately, destroying US legal tender is the only way to comply. Not an option. $12.17 it is!

Last edited by nelledge; 02-18-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
If I recall correctly, I believe Rochester is correct here and these bolts are M6 (6mm) thread, so the head should use a 10mm socket.

I agree with everything stated here, except with regards to the sport seats. I'm not a fan of my sport seats at all. I have 3 other cars and find the seats in all of them WAY more comfortable than the sport seats in my G, especially the factory Recaro's in my Porsche. And I am not a huge guy either (5'10" and about 165), so it's not that the seats are too narrow, they are just extremely uncomfortable over long hauls... at least in my opinion. I do like the extra adjustments the sport seats provide, plus the extendable thigh support is a nice feature too, but it's not going stop me from buying different seats for the car... already have something on order.

I will add that if you aren't looking for a 6MT or X (AWD) Model, then I would highly recommend looking for a car with the Sport Package (I know, even after I just said how uncomfortable the sport seats are) if only just for the upgraded Akebono brakes, which are SO worth it... this alone will cost you $1K - $1500 minimum to add to the car later on... ask me how I know.
Speaking of the sport seats- do you use more lumbar support in this seat than a normal seat? I normally do not use any lumbar support, but find myself using quite a bit on these seats. No complaints about the comfort though. Then again, maybe I am using more lumbar since I started seeing a chiropractor for my aging back. Yes kids, it's hell getting old
Old 02-18-2016, 05:38 PM
nelledge
n00b

Uh oh. Guess what I did there?

And you know that I know that you pride yourself on math, which is why I needled you. Certainly didn't expect it to backfire, LOL.

Now I haz shame.
I could tell you jumped on that like a dog on a stew bone. I only noticed the price when you said $1.02 a gallon. I immediately saw your transposition error. I let it go, but couldn't help to point out ttv36 isn't using the fuel we use. I'm pretty sure I remember him tuning to ethanol.

BTW, it irritates me to no end when states don't have 93. What is that 91 crap, anyway? My vehicle no likey.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:52 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Hey! Fellow ME. My HP35s wants to argue with your calc. $12.168.
12.17-12.168=.002

I see where you were going with that now. You were referring to the total price and I was referring to the difference in the per gallon price. 12.17/12.429 gallons = ~.97916 - .979 = ~.00016 (almost 2 ten-thousandths). But of course, my ~.00016*12.429=.002, so I guess we were both correct.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread