G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 01:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,682 Likes on 3,500 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
I found it through searching at g35driver. It's a dummy bolt to prevent someone from putting the rear wheels on the front.
I thought as much. You threw me by calling it "the hexagonal piece".

Just ditch it.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:15 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Has anyone removed the hexagonal piece on our front sport rotors? Installing spacers this weekend, was curious.
Are you talking about the bolt and the little spacer sticking out of the rotor? If I'm not mistaken, it's so you can release the rotor from the hub. If you unscrew the bolt, take out the spacer, and put the bolt back in and screw it down, it pushes against the hub causing the rotor to break free. No need for mallets or other methods of removing the rotor.

Last edited by lobuzz311; 02-17-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:28 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I thought as much. You threw me by calling it "the hexagonal piece".

Just ditch it.
For some reason, in my mind, I was picturing a hexagonal bolt. you don't happen to recall the exact bolt size do ya? From memory, it looked smaller than a 10mm

Originally Posted by lobuzz311
Are you talking about the bolt and the little spacer sticking out of the rotor? If I'm not mistaken, it's so you can release the rotor from the hub. If you unscrew the bolt, take out the spacer, and put the bolt back in and screw it down, it pushes against the hub causing the rotor to break free. No need for mallets or other methods of removing the rotor.
Thanks for the replies guys,just going to toss it in my toolbag once I get it off.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

For some reason, in my mind, I was picturing a hexagonal bolt. you don't happen to recall the exact bolt size do ya? From memory, it looked smaller than a 10mm
No, I don't. Very likely M8 or M6 thread. IDK about the hex-head size. Standard socket, for sure, or channel locks... that works, too.

Why do you care? It's only relevant if someone else is mounting your duckfeet, and that person is distracted, or an idiot.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:42 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
No, I don't. Very likely M8 or M6 thread. IDK about the hex-head size.

Why do you care? It's only relevant if someone else is mounting your duckfeet, and that person is distracted, or an idiot.
Because I have to remove it to install the Z1 bolt on spacer.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Because I have to remove it to install the Z1 bolt on spacer.
Ah, I see. Well, let's file that conversation under "overthinking things".
The following users liked this post:
MaQG37 (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 04:16 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I found it through searching at g35driver. It's a dummy bolt to prevent someone from putting the rear wheels on the front.
Oh, you mean the BOLT. Most people refer to those as BOLTS. I was not sure what you meant by "hexagonal piece." Yeah, same thing as on the 370Z. I pulled it off on this car just like on the Z.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:24 PM
TannerG

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Hello all! I was going to make a new post but felt that this would be an appropriate place for it. Recently (yesterday) my wifes 2001 Buick LeSabre came down with a small strain of the blown head gaskets w/ engine failures. Looks like its dead! So now im in the market for a G37. Ive loved the G37 for years and think its an amazing car. I am looking at 2009-2013 models trying to keep it as low mileage as possible. So, any suggestions? Anything to look out for? Any super desirable trims I should be looking for? Annoying noob first post? Thanks!
Old 02-17-2016, 05:48 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by TannerG
Hello all! I was going to make a new post but felt that this would be an appropriate place for it. Recently (yesterday) my wifes 2001 Buick LeSabre came down with a small strain of the blown head gaskets w/ engine failures. Looks like its dead! So now im in trhe market for a G37. Ive loved the G37 for years and think its an amazing car. I am looking at 2009-2013 models trying to keep it as low mileage as possible. So, any suggestions? Anything to look out for? Any super desirable trims I should be looking for? Annoying noob first post? Thanks!
Welcome. You're in the right place you can also check in at the noob thread as well.

As far as Gs go, I'll let Rochester and the rest work you over with the 6 speed manual transmission option first. LOL

Sean
Old 02-17-2016, 05:51 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by TannerG
Hello all! I was going to make a new post but felt that this would be an appropriate place for it. Recently (yesterday) my wifes 2001 Buick LeSabre came down with a small strain of the blown head gaskets w/ engine failures. Looks like its dead! So now im in the market for a G37. Ive loved the G37 for years and think its an amazing car. I am looking at 2009-2013 models trying to keep it as low mileage as possible. So, any suggestions? Anything to look out for? Any super desirable trims I should be looking for? Annoying noob first post? Thanks!
Welcome!

Things to consider:
- Go for the 2011 and up, they've got the updated front end.
- You can't stream BT audio if you don't have Nav, unless you get some line-in type device
- The Xs is not a real S model; no hardware goodies like brakes, suspension, etc
- Get the 6MT if you can find one
- The sedan is not an loud as the coupe G37, so if you want that sound, you will need aftermarket exhaust or do a muffler delete
- Sport seats are WAY better than the non-sport

I think that's all I've got off the top of my head.
Good luck in your search!
Old 02-17-2016, 06:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I agree with everything lobuzz311 said.

Let me add that you should not have to worry about the same problems you had with the Buick. The VQ series V6 engine in the G37 is pretty bulletproof. I know people with over 400k on this motor!?!

It is a very fun to car drive with a lot of equipment for the money. If you want a 6spd, just be patient to find the right one. It took me 4 months of searching the entire U.S. for a low mileage '13, but I finally found what I wanted.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by VIVID
As far as Gs go, I'll let Rochester and the rest work you over with the 6 speed manual transmission option first.
IDK about that, Sean. Noob shares the car with his wife, so odds are there's no 6MT Sport Sedan in their future. If I'm wrong, well... Lucky guy with a wife who digs cars.
The following users liked this post:
VIVID (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 07:10 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Welcome!

Things to consider:
- You can't stream BT audio if you don't have Nav, unless you get some line-in type device
- The Xs is not a real S model; no hardware goodies like brakes, suspension, etc
- The sedan is not an loud as the coupe G37, so if you want that sound, you will need aftermarket exhaust or do a muffler delete

Actually everything above is great except try to source a 2012+, the pre 2012s have an inferior timing gasket that will cost upwards of $2k if it fails.
It's not something that's inevitable, but is something that has happened often enough that you need to be aware of it.
Welcome to the site too BTW!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:31 PM
TannerG

IDK about that, Sean. Noob shares the car with his wife, so odds are there's no 6MT Sport Sedan in their future. If I'm wrong, well... Lucky guy with a wife who digs cars.
This gentleman is correct. I know how to drive stick but sadly the wife doesn't and has no desire to so...no luck on that part.
All of the Gs I'm looking at are fully loaded w/ at least premium package.

Originally Posted by blnewt
Actually everything above is great except try to source a 2012+, the pre 2012s have an inferior timing gasket that will cost upwards of $2k if it fails.
It's not something that's inevitable, but is something that has happened often enough that you need to be aware of it.
Welcome to the site too BTW!
Thanks for the heads up. These are the types of things I wanted to hear about.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:32 PM
TannerG

Welcome!

Things to consider:

What make the sports seats superior?

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread