G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 08:42 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Anyone who's pushed the G Sedan into a turn knows that the car understeers. Really bad, too. Even the RWD Sport model understeers. It's a horrible and helpless feeling. But all you have to do to correct it is upgrade to aftermarket swaybars. Instantly, understeer is gone, and you can oversteer on command. (Assuming you turn off traction control.)

It's always fun to read the OMG moments from members here. Good for you, CPJ LB!
I agree! Coming from a modded M35 with the suspension dialed in, I was so used to having the freedom of taking turns and the tight steering feel...so I was anxious to tune the G's suspension. I thought I could be patient and wait til after the winter, but got tired of the 'floaty and nervous' feeling on particular turns. I'm gonna run 245/40/19 on all fours as well as lower the car and add the whiteline rear end links in the spring. I decided not to install the whitelines last night - just wait til I'm lowered.

BTW, the sway bar DIY by BlackBetty was a great guide....spot on with the tools needed and torque specs
Old 01-13-2016, 08:48 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by VIVID
Hex - Those looks nice with the wood trim. Sorta fancy.

I'm on the fence about them, though, for myself. I guess it's probably a priority thing, and then I don't go back up my list again and re-visit.

Sean
Well, it was $6 lol, easy decision.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:39 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
Well, it was $6 lol, easy decision.
Yeah, but $6 is a lot!!! That's like half a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Sean
Old 01-13-2016, 10:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Rochester was correct when he diagnosed the problem. Loose substrate in the cats.
You sure that was me? I'd me more inclined to blame the heat shields.

Either way, happy to hear it's been resolved.

Originally Posted by CPJ LB
BTW, the sway bar DIY by BlackBetty was a great guide....spot on with the tools needed and torque specs
He sure has his moments. Particularly if you let him say something dismissive and rude first. Once you get beyond that, the guy is a wealth of miscellaneous info, and more often right than wrong. Dammit. LOL
Old 01-14-2016, 09:27 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Check out that brand new seat, replaced under warranty. My car only has 33k miles but the driver seat looks terrible in comparison. I try to wipe down the seats and condition them at least once a month.

Sedan Chat Thread-qyenf38.jpg
Old 01-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 508 Likes on 437 Posts
My nanny just texted me that she signed for a FedEx delivery and there are 4 boxes waiting in the foyer

I'll see if I can get a picture of them on the dining room table, Rochester style
Old 01-14-2016, 09:45 AM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
Check out that brand new seat, replaced under warranty. My car only has 33k miles but the driver seat looks terrible in comparison. I try to wipe down the seats and condition them at least once a month.

[img]seat.jpg[/img]
Very nice. I've always been curious what a warranty feels like.

Your passenger have cedar fever?
Old 01-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
My nanny just texted me that she signed for a FedEx delivery and there are 4 boxes waiting in the foyer

I'll see if I can get a picture of them on the dining room table, Rochester style
Awesome.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:07 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

Lego - How old are you? You STILL have a nanny? LOL

Sean
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 02:02 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
I think I just died a little... I think I'm in love.
Finally got my wheels today.

Wow! Those are shiny. Me like shiny! Can't wait to see the installed pics.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:05 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by nelledge
Very nice. I've always been curious what a warranty feels like.

Your passenger have cedar fever?
More like, the driver has every type of pollen fever and strategically placed tissues in every pocket of the car.

@Zahry, I like the wheels, very nice.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:11 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by CPJ LB
I couldn’t wait any longer so I had some free time to install the Eibach rear sway bar last night. The process took about 30 minutes once I got the rear backed up on ramps. It was pretty straight forward. I have the power tools so I made quick work of the nuts/bolts. The Eibach rear sway came with bushings and some grease packets. I ended up going with Prothane bushing lubricant (contacted Energy Suspension and had them send out 6 of the small packs - only used 3, so I have some left over).

It just amazes me how this the stock AWD Sedan rear sway bar is - I mean to read about it from others and to finally get down there and remove it…geez. The feel of the Eibach is very hefty - I think it’s 29mm or so. I used the mildest setting for winter driving, but will experiment to the middle setting in the spring.

I took the car out for a drive last night but didn’t push it - felt sturdy and noticeably different. Then I took the car for a drive this morning and jumped on the hwy with moderate speeds and turns. Really feels like the car behaves better and more neutral. took a turn at a location which used to give the car some unwanted understeer at speed, now with the improved rear sway bar - understeer is gone!

Overall, I’m happy with the immediate positive results. I’m anxious for the spring so I can get everything else dialed in - 19” wheels, performance tires, lowering springs, etc…my basement is a holding bin for all of my mods LOL.

So for those of you that don’t want to go the Hotchkis route or OE rear sport sway bar, the Eibach is a great alternative. I was able to pick mine up for $165, I’ve seen it as high as $210 at Stillen.

Eibach Part # 6393.312

Here’s a pix of Big Red next to skinny mini

Side by side OE vs Eibach rear sway bar bushings…..

Very nice upgrade. Congrats! You are really going to enjoy this mod! I honestly didn't even know Eibach had sway bars for our cars. Shows how far out of the loop I am. My G was actually one of the test cars for the original Hotchkis sway bars and I have to say that the sway bars are one of the best bang for your buck and noticeable mods you can do to our cars. Even my wife felt they made a huge difference in handling (especially helping to eliminate under-steer as John mentioned), and that saying a lot!
Old 01-14-2016, 02:15 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Just picked my car from the dealership. The rattle noise if finally gone after having both of my catalyic converter replaced.

Rochester was correct when he diagnosed the problem. Loose substrate in the cats.

Glad they figured it out, ZM. Figured it was probably the substrate breaking loose and rattling. I've seen this happen more times than I can count. Just curious if they ended up covering it under warranty? Since this is an emissions related issue it should have definitely been covered under warranty.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:23 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Glad they figured it out, ZM. Figured it was probably the substrate breaking loose and rattling. I've seen this happen more times than I can count. Just curious if they ended up covering it under warranty? Since this is an emissions related issue it should have definitely been covered under warranty.
Yeah, it was covered under warranty. I saw the invoice and it was nearly $1500. Crazy how much OEM cats cost.

Thanks again for the compliments guys! Wheels should be on the car tomorrow afternoon.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:27 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
The new Q60 was on display yesterday, without any surprises at the reveal.

It was confirmed that there will be no 6MT, as expected. But apparently no DCT, either. So while a 400hp TT 3.0 V6 is an attractive element to the high-end model (that's likely to be way-y overpriced), if you have to shove it down the road with a slushbox, I just don't see the point.

Over in the Coupe forum, the fan-boys are drooling, eager to throw new-model money at Nissan as soon as they can. It's kind of funny.

Yes, I agree 100%. The transmission offering on the new Q60 is the only thing keeping me from considering it for my next car. The tranny on my G is the only thing I don't like about the car. I won't ever buy another Infiniti with an automatic...

Right now for my next car I'm very interested to see the Alpha Romeo Giulia when it comes out. 505HP Twin Turbo V6 with a 6spd manual... what's not to like!

Originally Posted by hexotic
Winter driving kills me... Washed the car yesterday, freak snowstorm hit overnight because of a sudden change in wind from the great lakes. This is after 3 hours total driving.
Eek! One thing I will never miss about the Mid-West is the Winters. I haven't washed my G since mid-December and it still looks clean.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread